“Good Mexican food, live entertainment”
Review of Pedro's

Pedro's
Ranked #12 of 69 Restaurants in Kennebunk
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Pedro's of Kennebunk is one of our very favorite restaurants in the Kennebunk area and the best Mexican food for miles around. The location is actually in 'Lower Village' of Kennebunk, about 2 tenths of a mile from Dock Square, Kennebunkport. It is not a large restaurant, although outside seating when the weather is good basically doubles the number of tables. The food is GOOD, the prices are reasonable, and they sometimes have live entertainment. It has become very popular, so you can expect to wait a while to be seated and they do not take reservations (at least I do not think so). In the warmer months with tourists in the area it gets ridiculously busy and unless you show up early you should be prepared to wait for a while.
Parking is a little bit of a challenge, however, there is a large parking area around the corner that tourists have not discovered yet. :-) They have a fire pit outside that adds character and warmth and the decor is 'interesting' with all sorts of scavenged Mexican artifacts. It can be really loud indoors when it is full, which is most nights, so much so that having a conversation can be difficult. This is because of low ceilings and high density of patrons. The bar is small, but a good place to hang out as you wait for a table. Service has always been good, even when they are really busy. They have a large selection of Tequila if you are into that and a few aged rums, although the prices are a bit high. They also, predictably, have a large Margarita menu.

I highly recommend Pedro's as a place to try if you like Mexican food, are in the Kennebunk/Kennebunkport area, and are willing to go early or wait a while.

1  Thank Northern_Traveler701

Reviewed 30 June 2014

When we asked about finding Mexican food in Kennebunkport the person we asked laughed and said "really, Mexican in Maine?" He told us he thought there was a place in town but he had never been...we were there 2 days and went twice! It's that good! My wife and I have eaten Mexican food in many places (we lived in Texas for a while) and we both agree this is the best Mexican food we have ever had.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

Surprising place with nice outdoor deck and very unusual decor inside. Staff was attentive and they offered the usual Tex-Mex favorites, along with some creative offerings I haven't seen elsewhere. If you get tired of traditional Maine offerings, this is a good alternative.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I'm a Texas native and no stranger to Texmex/Mexican food. This restaurant was not good. The food wasn't too bad, but it was very over priced. I got the fish tacos and there was only a small strip of fish in each taco. The service was lacking and going there with a family, I felt that we were cast off as several other tables sat down and were served food and even left before we even got our food. I didn't have any drinks there, but I got the vibe that if all you want is to buy fancy drinks and don't care about the food, this is the place for you.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Pedro's and I are no strangers. We are actually really great friends - he always provides awesome food, excellent sangria, and a fun and musical atmosphere.

I can catch a curveball fairly well, but when it takes three asks for Chips and Salsa and a Pacifico during (an averagely busy Wednesday evening) happy hour, it gets to be a bit irritating. I let it slide.

Dinner orders were taken a short 50 minutes after we sat down, and only just after we got our chips and salsa, that Matt blamed on his coworkers for forgetting, rather than taking ownership of merely forgetting - wouldn't have been a biggie.

Tacos came on the wrong plates - I had some of my friends, others were on another plate, etc. So that took some correcting around before we could dig in.

Last - we were never offered more drinks, food, or dessert. Tables around us with other servers turned over twice, and were served multiple rounds each in the time we were grasping for the last drops of our beers - hot night outside!

Good, authentic mexican, but head to one of the other restaurants in KPT (David's, Federal Jacks, Allisons, Pilot House - check google for far more) unless you have two hours to dedicate to a quick dinner.

Matt - you won't be (requested or) missed once Pedro's lets you go when they realize they are losing hundreds a night, and not just tourists - locals.

I will say I was also overcharged one time after I left (server awarded herself a lovely 45 dollar tip on a $20 bill…), but the owner, Sarah, took very prompt and responsible care of me - the reason I will continue to come back and dine at Pedro's - but certainly won't to see Matt, blowing smoke rings out of his brain while trying to figure out guacamole from salsa.

3  Thank Sarah B