“Rustic, Adequate”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Kennebunk
Napavine, Washington
“Rustic, Adequate”
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed just one night while on a vacation tour through New England. This family-run motel has definitely been around awhile. The cabin we stayed in was very dated, well-worn and small. I didn't expect much so I wasn't disappointed with it's very rustic nature. The furnishings are 1960s vintage. It was okay for one night as we were passing through the area. I feel that the price was a bit high for the quality of the accommodations, but rooms are hard to find in the area during the first couple of weeks of August as everybody and their brother on the east coast is on vacation. The woman at the front desk was friendly and helpful. It is a very family-friendly and quiet place, but I wouldn't want to spend more than one night there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Montreal
Reviewed 7 September 2009

Good clean accomadation in small cabin. No issues with our dog and location just off the 95 and on highway 1 perfect for access to local resort areas.
Large swimming pool and water was warm enough for a daily swim.
Accomadation was clean bug free and cleaned daily.
beach parking passes available at front desk for returnable deposit.
Good value and would stay there again. If you want to there were BBQ provided for each unit. Walking distance to local restaraunt and bar.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Ohio
Reviewed 25 August 2009

When we checked into this motel, the man behind the counter knew little about how to check us in but told us we could not change our reservations once they were made. We were going to stay a day shorter due to our flight being out of Portland but he said that could not be done, we had no choice. He never informed us of coffee or doughnuts (if there were) in the office either. He said his wife would be back soon, she knew more. We never saw the wife until we asked about the shower which was not working well; she came to the room to adjust it and said that it worked fine. I had a cold shower everyday we were there because the adjusting could not be done until you were under the shower resulting in an ice cold or scalding hot shower. I would never stay here again, the management definitely does not care about their visitors, lots of rules and they have extra fees if any are broken. It was clean but we had to ask for extra towels, soap was not replenished daily either. We were disappointed and couldn't leave unless we wanted to forfeit our money.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
kennebunkcottages, Owner at Kennebunk Gallery Motel and Cottages, responded to this review, 25 April 2010
The Kennebunk Gallery Motel and Cottages is a family-owned property that cares about their customers. We have made many updates since change of ownership in 2002. Our cancellation policy is clearly stated on our website which involves not shortening a reservation after arrival. In any event a reservation needs to be shorten or cancelled after cancellation period we will gladly try to re-rent the room so guest is not responsible for charges. As to the complaint of water being too cold or too hot...the room was checked by a master plumber while they were here and was told there was not a problem?!
dayton, ohio
Reviewed 21 August 2009

After checking trip advisor for reviews, we made reservations at this motel for 3 nights in Aug on the 16th, 17th, and 18th. On the ride to Kennebunk we talked about changing our reservations to stay only 2 nights and go back to Portland to be close to the airport the last night. This motel has a policy that you cannot have a "short stay". In other words, once you chck in you can't check out. It's an old motel but it was clean. The shower in the bathroom was extrememly hard to adjust and the flush on the toilet was the loudest I've ever heard. There's a list of "rules" in the room telling you an infraction will cost you another $25.00. One rule was to not run the AC with the windows open, which we would never do. However, the windows were open when we arrived and, had we not checked them, we might not have known that when we turned the AC on. The maid came in every day and threw the beds together but never put the bedpread back on. Also, they never replaced the soap or left another roll of toilet paper. They expect full payment when you check in instead of when you leave. I would not stay there again.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank pattysch04
Houston
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We were driving on US 1 in a heavy rain storm late one afternoon and decided to hole up for the night. We spotted their sign, and got the last room. It was in the middle of a triplex motel style building. The owner/manager was friendly and helpful. We got a good old-fashioned twin-double room with good cable TV and could watch the rain from the window or front porch. Donuts and coffee for breakfast. The place was clean and quiet. It is a short drive (a few blocks) to a good Thai restaurant.

• Liked — Location (in the right place at the right time, when we needed it)
  • Disliked — a bit old fashioned (but then I am, too!)
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank captainmcd
Pennsauken, NJ
Reviewed 14 October 2007

My son and I stayed at this lovely little motel on one of our stops during our New England fall foilage trip. I had booked this motel about a week in advance, because Columbus Day weekend is apparently a busy time in Maine due to the "Leaf Peepers". This motel was available, affordable, and was about the only place that would allow us to stay for one night only, on a Saturday night.

The property consists of a "Motel" portion which had about 5 or 6 rooms, and the housekeeping cottages which seem to be very popular in this area. We stayed in one of the motel rooms. Admittedly, the outside of the motel looks slightly old and a bit run down, but you can tell they take pains to keep it up as best they can and keep it clean. If you are looking for a super elegant, upscale place to stay, this probably isn't the place for you. I could really care less about modern decor and frou-frou - I was looking for a decent and reasonable place to stay, and I got it :)

I wasn't sure what to expect from our room, and I was pleasantly surprised. The furnishings and decor were older, but the room was clean and spacious. I actually thought the room had a lot of character compared to other motel rooms I've stayed in. The double beds were comfortable with clean-smelling sheets, and the bathroom was actually pretty large. There was not a full bath, just a shower stall.

The office staff was the gentleman who owns the motel, who was very friendly and helpful. He was from NJ, like I, and it was nice to talk to someone from home. He laughed when I asked how much it cost to get on the beach - apparently paying for beaches is a NJ thing that I did not even realize.

He directed me to a casual dining seafood restaurant nearby called "The Bull and Claw", which was amazing! I had a surf and turf dinner for only $25!!!

Our stay at Kennebunk Gallery Motel was great. I am a female who was traveling alone with my son, and my first concern is always safety. There were no worries at all in that department, I actually did not hear a peep from any other guests at the hotel. I definitely recommend this motel if you are looking for something decent and comfortable.

• Stayed October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Kramberry
Bedford, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 July 2006

When looking for a family-friendly, clean, reasonably-priced place to stay in Kennebunk, look no further than the Kennebunk Gallery Motel and Cottages. Innkeepers Katherine and John Toth treat each guest as family and offer fairly large cabin accommodations at prices you would usually pay for a basic hotel room. Our cabin, which rented for about $100 including all taxes, had a living room with fold out sofa and kitchenette area (stocked with dishes and utensils), a separate bedroom with a queen size bed, and a bathroom with a separate shower stall and a commode stall. There was cable TV, AC in the living room, and the innkeepers provided us with a fan to circulate the cool air around the entire cottage. The grounds include a large pool, and one can use a beach parking pass for a refundable $10 deposit.

• Stayed July 2006
10 Thank jmkraemer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
King's Port Inn
Lodge at Turbat's Creek
Lodge at Turbat's Creek
#4 of 5 in Kennebunkport
Carriage House Motel Cottages & Suites

Been to Kennebunk Gallery Motel and Cottages? Share your experiences!