“Spring Overnight” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Kennebunk
Rochester, New Hampshire
“Spring Overnight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was traveling with my 18 yr old daughter and she loved the hotel- We had a nice night together and we loved the room and the service. I had purchased a Living social deal and paying 69 for the room made it even more of deal...We would come back for a night to reconnect again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I just came back from a 2 night stay at this hotel for his birthday celebration. The location is fantastic; you can easily walk to all the shops and restaurants around Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. The hotel and our room were beautifully decorated. Our room had a soft and neutral yellow color palette that made it feel like a relaxed, seaside retreat. Our bed was very comfortable and big. So comfortable that my back did not hurt when I woke up after the first night! My back has been acting up prior to this vacation :(. But I have to say.. the bathroom was what really made it for me! The bathroom had a gray color theme with luxurious marble and a heated tile floor! I kept thinking that I would love to renovate my bathroom at home to look exactly like our hotel bathroom lol. I also really loved the Farmaesthetics bath products supplied by the hotel that I think I am going to get some for myself.

Service was great and very friendly. They left a bag of orange juice bottles and chocolate chip muffins every morning outside of our door. And when we checked out, they sent us off with a bag of chocolate chip cookies and a couple of water bottles. I would say that's top notch service right there! It was also nice to walk around the attached art gallery. Unfortunately since we stayed during off season, the attached restaurant is closed until May.

Now the only downside I have to mention is... out of the 2 nights we stayed, the wifi did not work 1 night. The staff already left for the night and I didn't think it was enough of an emergency to call them about the connection so I couldn't use their wifi our last night. When we checked out, I was told that they had a few calls about the wifi and sometimes they can remote in to re-set the router. Good thing it wasn't pertinant that I had wireless connection right when it went out but maybe there should be a better way to remedy this issue when it does arise?

All in all, I very much recommend this hotel and my husband and I will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Overall the hotel is beautiful and well appointed, with a very convenient location. Aside from that, the management and staff seem to still have some bumps they're working out when it comes to their reservation systems and knowing what their guests actually booked/paid for. This weekend was booked as a package through the hotel's website as the "Winter is Grand" package, and the room was selected to be the Grand King with ocean views. When we arrived we went through the late check-in process, which was very convenient, but still odd that there is no staff at all after 8pm on the hotel grounds. When we checked in we were in a smaller room than what was booked with none of the items that should have come along with the package. Since we were checking in late, we followed up with the front desk in the morning.

It was concerning that the front desk staff didn't know how to view the reservation, nor could confirm our package was in place. I provided the confirmation email and explained that I had booked a different room when I made the initial reservation (shown in the email I provided them to prove what I had booked). We ended up having to come back afterwards to check in again because the individual was from a different hotel and didn't now how to check anything in their systems at the Grand. When we did return we were provided the drink voucher for their sister hotel, but our room remained the same and we never received the gift bag we were supposed to for booking the package.

If the hotel management can start to work out their staffing and training issues, this would be a great hotel to stay in, as it is a beautiful place. If you decide to book here, confirm everything 2 or 3 times to make sure it is booked properly, because at the moment they have almost no way to fix something if it goes wrong. We made the best of it versus picking a fight with the front desk staff, who obviously were left there to fend for themselves.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has an ocean/harbor side view, many of the rooms face downtown - just be sure to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Pent84
GrandHotelManager, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Pent84,

Thank you for your review. The comment card that was left upon your departure gave me insight to the bumps that you experienced while staying with us. After reading your comment card I did reach out to you via email and thank you for your reply this morning. I understand the frustration you experienced while staying with us and You had booked a Grand Room which is the type of room that you did in fact stay in. Our Grand Rooms which are located on the front side of the hotel, offer the largest balconies on property, allowing for great views of the ’Port and Kennebunk river. These rooms also feature luxury bedding, a stylishly modern bathroom, Bose sound dock and Keurig coffee maker. Stepping out on to the balcony, you do have a view of the river. We are an in town property and do have views of the shops and restaurants that are all within walking distance, and is also great to enjoy the hustle and bustle of the folks below in the summer time.

You mentioned in your email this morning and on your comment card that our staff was extremely friendly and courteous, and I would have to agree. I would like to assure you that our staff is also well trained in all aspects of the property and with information of the town.

I thank you for your feedback and I hope that the next time you are in the area you will give us the opportunity to prove to you that the Grand Hotel offers exceptional service.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the Grand Hotel.

Williston, Vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2014

We stayed at The Grand Hotel for a long weekend in June of 2013 for our first trip to Kennebunkport. The hotel was lovely and a fantastic place to stay. The rooms were beautiful and spacious and I really appreciated the Keurig coffee brewers in each room. It was probably also the most comfortable bed I had ever slept in too!

As other reviews have mentioned, this hotel does not have an in-house restaurant but there is a great cafe / store on the ground floor of the building with access from both the street or the lobby and they have a great selection of breakfast options and snacks as well as things like wine, beer, and an assortment of local Maine products.

One of my favorite things about The Grand Hotel was it's location. Kennebunkport is a small, walkable town and this location was perfect and close to everything. I highly recommend dining at one of the many nearby restaurants like Bandaloop, Mabel's Lobster Claw, or Earth (you have to drive to get here and make sure you call for reservation well in advance).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Lillian C,

We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Grand Hotel. Our in town location is a great added feature to the wonderful amenities that we have to offer. You are right about the beds! They are incredibly comfortable and when matched with the luxury linens and Cuddledown pillows, how could you not have the best night sleep?

We hope next time you are in our area that you will choose to stay at the Grand Hotel again.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel was recommended to us by some local friends and it certainly met the expectations. The room was comfortable and the furnishings new. There was little noise from the main road which passes next to the hotel. It seems to be a growing trend not to have tubs in the bathroom and have soap and other toiletries 'nailed to the wall' which is one of the reasons I have not given the hotel an 'Excellent' rating. The other reason was the stale 'what ever it was' that passed for a continental breakfast. Kennebunkport has long been one of our favorite destinations in Maine and we will return and possibly stay at this hotel again. As a location it is well positioned to access the center of town and it is a welcome addition to the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank WorldT001
Dear WorldT001,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the room. At the Grand Hotel we offer luxurious Water Works bathrooms that boast finishes of marble, tile and chrome. All but one of our bathrooms have stand alone showers that are accessed through over sized glass doors. The heated tile floors in the bathroom are wonderful on cooler mornings.

We are excited to now be offering Farmaesthetics personal amenities. As you saw, these organic, wonderfully scented products are presented in pumps in the shower. The small single use bottles at most hotels, a lot of the time come up short. Offering these amenities in pumps does give our guests the opportunity to use as much as they would like or need, even if it is more than a "single use' amount.

We hope the next time you are in the area you will choose to stay with us here at the Grand Hotel.

Stratford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

The hotel is basically brand new, which contributes to it's wonderful upkeep and cleanliness I'm sure...the staff were all very pleasant, the rooms were clean, the bathrooms were spacious (with heated floors!). Breakfast was left by our door daily. I would definitely return.

This was a wonderful weekend for my wife and I. The town is small and quiet, the local spas were quite nice as well. Restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GrandHotelManager, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear jpn627,
Thank you for your wonderful review. We take pride in keeping our property's cleanliness. The heated tile floors are such a great feature. They are wonderful in the winter when the last thing you want to do is step on a freezing bathroom floor first thing in the morning. We hope that the next time you are in Kennebunk/Kennebunkport you will choose to stay with us again.
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed here in May 2013 for 2 nights. It is a lovely hotel and the rooms are beautifully furnished and the beds are extremely comfortable. It is in a convenient location, near the river and the town centre. The only area's that could have been improved would be a fridge in the room, as there is plenty of room. Also we were not told before arriving that if you arrive to check in at night there is no-one at the hotel. We arrived to find a note taped to the door with instructions to call someone for access details but being from the UK we didn't take our mobiles with us on holiday as we didn't think we would need them. Therefore we had to drive around trying to find a payphone until someone kindly leant us their telephone. An email before arrival with instructions of what to do if you arrive late would be a better system, but maybe this has been updated since we stayed.

These issues aside we would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
King's Port Inn
#5 of 26 in Kennebunkport
Port Inn
Port Inn
#2 of 7 in Kennebunk

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!