“Quick getaway”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Kennebunk
Manchester, New Hampshire, Usa
“Quick getaway”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Lovely small hotel in Kennebunk, Me. Walk across bridge into Kennebunkport. Many eating places in walking distance. Hotel room fairly small, but we didn't spend lots of time there other than for sleep. Only draw back we found was no refrigerator. Large ice machine available to keep our stuff cold. K cup coffee machine in room and juice and muffins delivered to room each of 3 mornings

1 Thank Lynda P
GrandHotelManager, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear Lynda P,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Grand Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay! We have happy to offer complimentary in room coffee and teas, and I am also happy that you were able to enjoy it. As of the first of the month we are now able to offer room service though a partnership with HB Provisions across the street. You give them a call to order and we will bring it up to you. It gives us the opportunity to offer our guests more variety than muffins and juice.
I hope the next time you are in the area you will consider us your home away from home.
Mindy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Windham, Connecticut
Reviewed 19 May 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, gorgeous decor and beautiful colors. All the persons at the hotel were very helpful and kind. So clean and comfortable. Great location. It was thru Living Social that I saw the hotel and purchased the deal. It was a great value, I hope they do it again. We prefer to go off season and during the week,(not as crowded) makes it easier to enjoy the location.

Dear Michelle T,
I am happy that you were able to enjoy our hotel with the Living Social promotion. It was a great promotion and we were happy to offer our rooms to our guests for such a great price. You are right, the off season is a great time to enjoy Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. Even though we love peak season and all of the hustle and bustle of the Summer time, a lot of our guests really enjoy coming in the off season. I hope that you will stop by and stay with us again soon.
Beverly, Massachusetts
Reviewed 6 May 2014

If you’re looking for a great location in the middle of Kennebunk/Kennebunkport, with a very comfortable room that is new and very nicely decorated, and filled with local artist’s works, this is your place. Service is very good; property is very clean and quite, and I would go back, no question. Even get a card to present at the Kennebunkport Inn for a cocktail when passing by.

2 Thank JMAiken
Dear JMAiken,
I am thrilled to hear that you had a great time staying with us! We are in the perfect location to be right in the center of it all and still be able to offer our guests quiet rooms to relax in. I hope that you will stay with us again soon!
Brunswick, Maine
Reviewed 4 May 2014

This is an entirely new building built on the site of an old building. The build quality and furnishings are absolutely top quality, from the shower to the Frette linens. The entry foyer smells of exotic imported leather from the sitting bench, a nice waft to enter through. The room HVAC is very high tech, with a handy remote. The bathroom floor is HEATED via a small wall panel control, felt great. Staff is friendly. We had a front room, 202, that has its own balcony with a tall table and tall stools overlooking the town, very nice. We found it perfect for a late wine.

But, speaking of same, the hotel has NO bar or restaurant at all, zero, and appeared to have no snacks or wine available. A one time in-house deli has apparently closed, or maybe is just off season. We were told "there was a deli there". (You do get chocolates at check in and we got bottled water and cookies in a gift bag at checkout.) The consortium owns some nine properties, however, and we enjoyed a wonderful full and complimentary breakfast at One Dock restaurant, part of another inn, bacon, sausage, eggs, multiple muffins and rolls, the works. Maybe a 7 minute walk across the little bridge. There is no staff on duty at night at The Grand other than a telephone number - no one at the desk. The front door is locked at night, so you are locked out unless you figure out to use your room key in the front door, which works.

But here's the WARNING, so strange, I have never found this anywhere in all my travels, which have been extensive. Have you? THE ROOM DOOR DOES NOT LOCK ITSELF AFTER YOU AS YOU LEAVE. You yourself must lock it with the brass key (the places uses keys, not cards, a good thing - can't be easily copied) outside or the deadbolt inside. I went out and was surprised to find the room unlocked when I returned. Yes, that strange feature is buried in a book of instructions, but it needs to be placarded in red, or the door locks modified. Once bad guys figured this out, they could just try all the doors and take items or walk in on you.

But, now that we know, we would happily go again. The place sits prominently up on a small hill, so you have a good view of the town as well as easy access to shops and places to eat. You will enjoy it.

Room Tip: Room 202 with a spacious balcony overlooking the town.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank johnH1892DD
GrandHotelManager, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Dear Kilboj,
Thank you for taking the time to review us here at the Grand Hotel. Thank you for the kind words about the room, our staff and the hotel its self. You are correct with the points that you made. We do not have a bar or a restaurant. We are situated in the center of Dock Sq. which puts you in the perfect position to walk to all of the culinary offerings of Kennebunkport. Our guest room doors do not lock upon leaving your room. This is to prevent you from being locked out of your room after the desk closes for the evening. Should a lock out occur we do have policies and procedures in place to insure that you are able to reenter, this is also true for the main front door.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your balcony! It is a wonderful place to enjoy an evening glass of wine or to start your day with a cup of coffee and the sunrise over Dock Sq.

Thank you again for your review.

Mindy Markowski
Rochester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I was traveling with my 18 yr old daughter and she loved the hotel- We had a nice night together and we loved the room and the service. I had purchased a Living social deal and paying 69 for the room made it even more of deal...We would come back for a night to reconnect again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My husband and I just came back from a 2 night stay at this hotel for his birthday celebration. The location is fantastic; you can easily walk to all the shops and restaurants around Kennebunk and Kennebunkport. The hotel and our room were beautifully decorated. Our room had a soft and neutral yellow color palette that made it feel like a relaxed, seaside retreat. Our bed was very comfortable and big. So comfortable that my back did not hurt when I woke up after the first night! My back has been acting up prior to this vacation :(. But I have to say.. the bathroom was what really made it for me! The bathroom had a gray color theme with luxurious marble and a heated tile floor! I kept thinking that I would love to renovate my bathroom at home to look exactly like our hotel bathroom lol. I also really loved the Farmaesthetics bath products supplied by the hotel that I think I am going to get some for myself.

Service was great and very friendly. They left a bag of orange juice bottles and chocolate chip muffins every morning outside of our door. And when we checked out, they sent us off with a bag of chocolate chip cookies and a couple of water bottles. I would say that's top notch service right there! It was also nice to walk around the attached art gallery. Unfortunately since we stayed during off season, the attached restaurant is closed until May.

Now the only downside I have to mention is... out of the 2 nights we stayed, the wifi did not work 1 night. The staff already left for the night and I didn't think it was enough of an emergency to call them about the connection so I couldn't use their wifi our last night. When we checked out, I was told that they had a few calls about the wifi and sometimes they can remote in to re-set the router. Good thing it wasn't pertinant that I had wireless connection right when it went out but maybe there should be a better way to remedy this issue when it does arise?

All in all, I very much recommend this hotel and my husband and I will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Overall the hotel is beautiful and well appointed, with a very convenient location. Aside from that, the management and staff seem to still have some bumps they're working out when it comes to their reservation systems and knowing what their guests actually booked/paid for. This weekend was booked as a package through the hotel's website as the "Winter is Grand" package, and the room was selected to be the Grand King with ocean views. When we arrived we went through the late check-in process, which was very convenient, but still odd that there is no staff at all after 8pm on the hotel grounds. When we checked in we were in a smaller room than what was booked with none of the items that should have come along with the package. Since we were checking in late, we followed up with the front desk in the morning.

It was concerning that the front desk staff didn't know how to view the reservation, nor could confirm our package was in place. I provided the confirmation email and explained that I had booked a different room when I made the initial reservation (shown in the email I provided them to prove what I had booked). We ended up having to come back afterwards to check in again because the individual was from a different hotel and didn't now how to check anything in their systems at the Grand. When we did return we were provided the drink voucher for their sister hotel, but our room remained the same and we never received the gift bag we were supposed to for booking the package.

If the hotel management can start to work out their staffing and training issues, this would be a great hotel to stay in, as it is a beautiful place. If you decide to book here, confirm everything 2 or 3 times to make sure it is booked properly, because at the moment they have almost no way to fix something if it goes wrong. We made the best of it versus picking a fight with the front desk staff, who obviously were left there to fend for themselves.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has an ocean/harbor side view, many of the rooms face downtown - just be sure to...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pent84
GrandHotelManager, General Manager at The Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Dear Pent84,

Thank you for your review. The comment card that was left upon your departure gave me insight to the bumps that you experienced while staying with us. After reading your comment card I did reach out to you via email and thank you for your reply this morning. I understand the frustration you experienced while staying with us and You had booked a Grand Room which is the type of room that you did in fact stay in. Our Grand Rooms which are located on the front side of the hotel, offer the largest balconies on property, allowing for great views of the ’Port and Kennebunk river. These rooms also feature luxury bedding, a stylishly modern bathroom, Bose sound dock and Keurig coffee maker. Stepping out on to the balcony, you do have a view of the river. We are an in town property and do have views of the shops and restaurants that are all within walking distance, and is also great to enjoy the hustle and bustle of the folks below in the summer time.

You mentioned in your email this morning and on your comment card that our staff was extremely friendly and courteous, and I would have to agree. I would like to assure you that our staff is also well trained in all aspects of the property and with information of the town.

I thank you for your feedback and I hope that the next time you are in the area you will give us the opportunity to prove to you that the Grand Hotel offers exceptional service.

Thank you again for taking the time to review the Grand Hotel.

Mindy Markowski
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
The Tides Beach Club
#1 of 5 in Kennebunkport
Port Inn
Port Inn
#1 of 8 in Kennebunk

Been to The Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!