“A wonderful retreat”

and 1 more site!
Franciscan Guest House
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Kennebunk
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The Franciscan Guest House is a special place. The accommodations are basic, clean, very simple. I usually stay at higher end resorts, but the most special retreat brought me to the guest house with my mother, aunt and cousin. I just LOVED it! The grounds are spectacular. The people that run the establishment are kind and warm. The location is fantastic; between the town and the beach. I have to say Kennebunk and Kennebunkport are probably my favorite place to visit.

I would recommend this spot for anyone looking to spend time in the area in a basic, reasonably priced place with beautiful grounds and great location to town and beach. I think people of Christian faith would get more out of the experience than people of other faith. But if the religious aspect doesn't bother you, you will appreciate the Franciscan Guest House. I rated the guest house 'very good' but would place it between average and very good if I could. I consider this rounding up.

I signed up for another retreat there the day after I got home.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RASG

Reviewed 10 October 2011

I discovered the Franciscan Guest House quite by accident and glad that I did. The Monks and their staff's mission is to warmly welcome all who come there and make a recreational staff affordable for singles, couples and families. The rooms are neat, tidy, clean and basic. I found the beds quite comfortable. The breakfast experience was, perhaps, the best part of it for me. Each morning that I was there, I met different people (i.e. a quilting group, a couple there to do some hiking, an artist of considerable renoun and her husband). It is a great place to come for retreat, personal leisure, a needed rest.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2011

What a delightful getaway! But if you're visiting and from the south, pay the extra fee and get central heating in one of the buildings that has this convenience. The grounds are awesome with walking trails and views of the ocean and fabulous religious statuary. Convenient to Kennebunkport and an assortment of restaurants and shops. Fabulous place to visit!!!

Room Tip: If comfort is an issue, don't stay in the White House. It's cheap but has older small rooms...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank penguin4449
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I would definatly go back. The bed's were comfortable, there was WiFi, tea, complimentry breakfast, and lovely pool. The only problem was, was that the room was a little filthy. The mirror on the back of the door was so dirty, the sink wouldn't turn off unless you pushed it a certain way, and there wasn't a really strong wifi signal where we stayed, in the White House.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Just outside of Kennebunkport center, the Franciscan Guest House offers a budget minded place to stay. The grounds are beautiful and there is a walking path which has some stunning views of the ocean. The room is nothing stylish; just a cozy and clean place to stay. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the morning with eggs, pancakes,pastries,etc. It is a retreat and so it has the quiet, peaceful atmosphere one expects from such a place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We found the Franciscan Guest House the morning of our stay. Most hotels in the area were booked already. For half the price of the only available hotel, we were able to stay here. A lot of guests apparently come for the beautiful property and connection to the church, but many were there because of the price and location. A continental breakfast is included, but for a suggested donation of $3 you could eat anything presented...a great deal! The property has a walking path, a grotto, Stations of the Cross, and a chapel. The rooms are like air conditioned dorms with private baths and TV's. Bring your own shampoo but soap and towels are provided. A good place to stay, especially for 1 night. Walk to everything in Kennebunkport. Guest House is on the bay and across the street from a ritzy hotel/spa.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My mother and I stayed at the Franciscan guest house for a few nights and had a wonderful experience. As other reviewers have noted, the rooms are a bit out of date, but we found them to be clean and perfectly comfortable. The beds were comfy, the showers were hot, and the AC worked.

It was walking distance to the town of Kennebunkport (we walked in for dinner every night, parking looked like a hassle in town), walking distance or a quick drive to the beach, and the grounds, as others have noted, were absolutely beautiful. And all for $119 a night for a weekend in mid-July!!

The place looked great for families – there is a huge lawn for kids to run around (we saw a few soccer games), a parking lot to ride bikes, and a swimming pool.

The staff couldn’t have been friendlier or more accommodating. Everyone – from the woman who took my reservations to the gentleman who checked us out – was incredibly nice and helpful.

There were a few minor things – our window looked directly out onto a walking path which meant we had to keep the curtains closed unless we wanted everyone walking by to see into our room; we were right next to the front door of our building so could hear people coming in and out (however I’ve had this problem in many hotels, most of them much more expensive than this one).

If you’re looking for a modern, plush B&B, then there are plenty of other options in the area, probably for two or three (or four or five…) times the price. If you are looking for simple, comfortable accommodations for a bargain, then stay at the Franciscan guest house.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
Hampton Inn Kennebunk Kennebunkport
Lodge at Turbat's Creek
Lodge at Turbat's Creek
#5 of 6 in Kennebunkport
Port Inn Kennebunk, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Franciscan Guest House? Share your experiences!