“Peaceful, beautiful grounds and great location”

and 1 more site!
Franciscan Guest House
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Kennebunk
New York
“Peaceful, beautiful grounds and great location”
Reviewed 10 May 2012

Lucky for me I made it back to the Franciscan Guest House this spring. I attended my second retreat. I just love this place. It is located on the most serene and peaceful property. The staff at the guest house is so kind. For a real treat attend Sunday mass. Fr. John Bacevicius is the most WONDERFUL man. He delivers a meaningful Mass every time. I wish I could go to his service every Sunday! The rooms are basic, very clean, comfy beds and super clean linens. The bathroom in the room we had looked updated, not fancy but clean paint. I can't wait to go back. The feeling I get at the FGH is a happy one. When I get home, it stays with me. I LOVE it! Can't wait to return.

If you do go, check out the Chase Hill Bakery on the corner of Beach Ave. The baked goods are excellent and the coffee is the best around. Pat is the owner of the bakery. Tell her the cousins from New York sent you. We ran into her at Sunday Mass, she is such a friendly person.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank RASG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Merrimack, New Hampshire
Reviewed 14 February 2012

A recent quilt retreat at the Franciscan Guest House not only provided me with a sense of peace but a completed quilt top too! The rooms are simple, yet comfortable, and very quiet. Very pleasant are the people who go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. Ivo was very helpful, from bringing in your luggage, to setting up my own table for the quilting retreat, serving meals and always with a friendly smile. The gentleman at the front desk was a wealth of knowledge about the history of the Franciscan Guest House and the surrounding area of Kennebunkport. Kara was very helpful in securing my accommodations. The meals were delicious, good old home cooking, served cafeteria style, certainly warmed the soul. The adjoining St Anthony's Monastery and surrounding grounds are beautiful even in the cold winter months, and I am sure even more spectacular in the summer. The venue is great for those wishing to get away for a retreat. The gathering room is well lit and the guest house supplied irons, tables, excellent lighting and if you need anything else-they do their best to supply it. They are so willing to make your experience a memorable one...at least mine was. What made the trip for me was the close proximity to the beach. I was able to take in sunrise, sun-day and sunset at Kennebunk beach. It can't get much better than that!

Room Tip: If you have a walking disability I would recommend asking for a first floor room as there are no ele...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank 25inpuntacana
New York
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The Franciscan Guest House is a special place. The accommodations are basic, clean, very simple. I usually stay at higher end resorts, but the most special retreat brought me to the guest house with my mother, aunt and cousin. I just LOVED it! The grounds are spectacular. The people that run the establishment are kind and warm. The location is fantastic; between the town and the beach. I have to say Kennebunk and Kennebunkport are probably my favorite place to visit.

I would recommend this spot for anyone looking to spend time in the area in a basic, reasonably priced place with beautiful grounds and great location to town and beach. I think people of Christian faith would get more out of the experience than people of other faith. But if the religious aspect doesn't bother you, you will appreciate the Franciscan Guest House. I rated the guest house 'very good' but would place it between average and very good if I could. I consider this rounding up.

I signed up for another retreat there the day after I got home.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RASG
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I discovered the Franciscan Guest House quite by accident and glad that I did. The Monks and their staff's mission is to warmly welcome all who come there and make a recreational staff affordable for singles, couples and families. The rooms are neat, tidy, clean and basic. I found the beds quite comfortable. The breakfast experience was, perhaps, the best part of it for me. Each morning that I was there, I met different people (i.e. a quilting group, a couple there to do some hiking, an artist of considerable renoun and her husband). It is a great place to come for retreat, personal leisure, a needed rest.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Lake Worth. FL
Reviewed 15 September 2011

What a delightful getaway! But if you're visiting and from the south, pay the extra fee and get central heating in one of the buildings that has this convenience. The grounds are awesome with walking trails and views of the ocean and fabulous religious statuary. Convenient to Kennebunkport and an assortment of restaurants and shops. Fabulous place to visit!!!

Room Tip: If comfort is an issue, don't stay in the White House. It's cheap but has older small rooms...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank penguin4449
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I would definatly go back. The bed's were comfortable, there was WiFi, tea, complimentry breakfast, and lovely pool. The only problem was, was that the room was a little filthy. The mirror on the back of the door was so dirty, the sink wouldn't turn off unless you pushed it a certain way, and there wasn't a really strong wifi signal where we stayed, in the White House.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Just outside of Kennebunkport center, the Franciscan Guest House offers a budget minded place to stay. The grounds are beautiful and there is a walking path which has some stunning views of the ocean. The room is nothing stylish; just a cozy and clean place to stay. I enjoyed the breakfast buffet in the morning with eggs, pancakes,pastries,etc. It is a retreat and so it has the quiet, peaceful atmosphere one expects from such a place.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
King's Port Inn
Nonantum Resort
Nonantum Resort
#1 of 5 in Kennebunkport
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,587 reviews

Been to Franciscan Guest House? Share your experiences!