“Best of The BEST!”

Bufflehead Cove Inn
Ranked #1 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2014

First of all .. Harriet, I apologize for not writing this review last fall (Oct 2014) when we stayed .. I thought "oh it's winter and I can wait" .. well my health took a serious downturn .. and now that I am well again here you go. Wonderful Bufflehead Cove Inn is all about the owner Harriet and her son, Erin. They both personify CARING when it comes to their guests....... The inn is lovely, every room, and the public areas where you share your wonderful FULL breakfasts with the other guests, enjoy afternoon wine and cheese at 4pm .. cookies during the day .. tea or coffee whenever. The main inns rooms all have river views, extremely clean .. the Garden Rm is down in the back of the inn, but it's the largest and best for privacy .. cozy as could be! You'll get a kick out of Harriet feeding 'her' ducks morning and afternoon .. they have a large container of cracked corn .. put in a container and the ducks QUACK their heads off trying to get up the bank in time for a feed .. so fun!! The peace and quiet of this inn is fabulous .. the front porch is perfect to sit out and enjoy a nice glass of wine .. or use the small deck out over the river and just watch the stream go by! THE STREAM is the Kennebunk River with LARGE Striped Bass in case you remember to bring along your rod...! Harriet is a real people person, she assisted us with reservations for several local restaurants.. some Hard to come by!! as well as getting me in same day to have a slipped crown repaired at a local dentist too! You will surely enjoy your stay at Bufflehead .. just make sure you FIND the little drive off the main road to get back to it .. it zigzags through the woods between some marshy ponds along the way .. keep going to the end and you're sure to find peace and contentment! We will be back again .. soon I hope! Don't hesitate to ask for reservations for Nunan's Lobster Hut, Cape Porpoise (up the road) as well as Mabel's Lobster Claw, Kennebunkport ... best ever .. get the blueberry pie at each!! The Marsh is sheik .. $$! Try to get Erin to take you for a ride UP the river .. it's great! Perfect spot for romance, anniversary, birthday, getting engaged!! Couples .. right up your alley.

Room Tip: View? Balcony or River Room. Quiet, private? Garden Room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review. I actually answered your review but posted it on the other review titled, best of the best. What a dope I am!! I tried to get tripadvisor to change my response and put it on your review but had no luck. Thank you again for thinking of us. Harriet

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I stayed at Bufflehead Inn from Sunday-Tuesday (&/20-22/2014).
The Inn location is so peaceful and beautiful. I could have stayed on the grounds all day, but used it as my home base.
The Inn owners were very thoughtful hosts.
Breakfast was yummy and quite filling. I had breakfast and then was hungry by dinnertime.
I stayed in the River room, which the website indicated was small. I expected a teeny tiny room. But it was the perfect size for one person. There is also a balcony that I used in the morning and evening.
I would love to recommend this Inn and hope to stay there again in the further.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This lovely New England Inn is located only a mile from downtown Kennebunkport but as soon you arrive you feel that you are in your own little forest getaway. The Inn is lovely and Harriet, her son, and granddaughter are the ultimate hosts. We stayed in the Hideaway, our own little slice of heaven, complete with living room, a king sized bed, double sided fireplace and large Jacuzzi tub. There was also a small porch with a table and chairs. It was the perfect spot for an early morning cup of coffee (which was delivered to our doorstep each morning around 7:00). We took the opportunity to have morning coffee in the comfy Adirondack chairs, on the bank overlooking the Kennebunk River. Breakfast is served between 8:30-9:30 and is absolutely delicious, not to mention filling. You can dine inside or on the porch overlooking the water. The amenities are great and include free Wi-Fi, comfortable robes, a nightly turndown service complete with chocolates, a library, parking pass for the beach and bikes to take for a ride. At 5:30 in the afternoon wine, cheese and crackers and some days cookies hot from the oven are presented. We enjoyed this little treat the first day at a riverside table and the other in the comfy porch chairs. In the summer the town of Kennebunkport can get busy. It was great to be able to walk the short distance to downtown and not to worry about parking. I cannot say enough about this amazing place. My only regret was that we hadn't booked our stay for longer. My husband and I are already looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: If you want privacy the Hideaway is a great choice
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scout11258
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Thank you so much. What a thrill for Isabella, my granddaughter, to read that! She has been so helpful lately and to get such a nice complement was a great incentive to continue to help. Maybe someday the third generation will be running the inn.
We are glad you enjoyed your visit and do hope you come visit again soon.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

Bufflehead Cove Inn is a stately summer cottage in a romantic setting on a tidal cove, yet it's only minutes from restaurants and shops. Lovely grounds and beautifully a decorated room. Gracious and caring innkeepers served a delicious breakfast on the front porch overlooking the cove each morning. Great stay!

• Stayed: July 2014

Hi Cruisebob, Thank you for taking the time to review Bufflehead Cove. We really appreciate that and thank you for the lovely description of the inn. Please come and see us again!

Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We loved our time at bufflehead cove inn.
Some innkeepers are really just inn owners. They collect your money and offer nothing. Harriet however, is a true inn keeper that offers you a welcoming, warm place to stay during your time in kennebunkport.
The property is beautiful and so relaxing. You can sit out on the water for hours and feel your stresses melt away.
Breakfast was always amazing. They use many high quality and local ingredients.
The inn is about a mile from town. If you don't mind, it is a nice walk. Otherwise it's a short drive into town. Plenty of parking around.
We will deffinetly be staying at Bufflehead Cove inn again.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Ninmom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Bufflehead Cove is exactly what one dreams an inn will be like! This was our first stay in Maine and in a B & B! The entire staff is a warm, wonderful family and it shows! The early morning coffee and home cooked gourmet breakfasts are incredible! The afternoon snacks and beverages are such as nice touch as one plans out their dinner/adventures for the evening! Someone is always available to help with suggestions or even making a reservation. Watching the tidal river, the ducks, and walking the lovely grounds truly relaxes the mind and body! My advice is to go stay at the Bufflehead Cove Inn and you will understand why they continue to get rave reviews from us all! Mike and Lynn (Tennessee) July 2014

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This well hidden gem will NOT disappoint! Little did we know that what awaited us through the woods, was a charming inn on the banks of the Kennebunk river. You would never know that the town was only a mile up the road! It was peaceful, the food outstanding and the innkeepers the best we have ever encountered. We wouldn't hesitate to stay at this lovely inn again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
Kennebunkport Inn
The Beach House
The Beach House
#6 of 14 in Kennebunk
Port Inn Kennebunk, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Bufflehead Cove Inn? Share your experiences!