“Quaint and Cozy on the River”

Bufflehead Cove Inn
Ranked #2 of 14 Kennebunk B&B and Inns
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at this lovely B&B this August. The setting was so peaceful it felt like we were miles from anywhere. In truth, the charming town of Kennebunkport was less than a mile away.
The Inn keeper and staff were very friendly and helpful while also giving the guests plenty of privacy. They have the perfect combination figured out after 30 years of service. The breakfasts were beyond delicious. I also appreciated there was a span of time to come to breakfast instead of one set time. I could go on and on but will conclude by saying our experience was top notch and we would happily return to the Bufflehead anytime.

Room Tip: All the rooms are wonderful, each with a unique something special. Check out the web-site that shows...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Hello Lisa P, Thank you for the nice review.
I like the fact that the inn seems miles from everywhere but is actually pretty close to town. On a busy summer day it is great to sit here on the front porch and watch the busy traffic way down river but enjoy the peace of being here.
I passed on your complement about breakfast to Helena, my sister and our chef. I think her breakfasts are beyond delicious too.
I hope your trip back to Montana was easy and that you have a great winter.
Warm regards, Harriet

Reviewed 13 August 2014

When traveling from Chicago to Maine, I made a mistake in our travel nights and realized I failed to have a reservation in Kennebunk. I'm so glad I made that mistake as we ended up at Bufflehead Cove Inn. Someone had just cancelled their reservation, and we got the room. The inn is quaint and inviting. Although our room wasn't big, it was what we needed (stayed in the River Room). It was clean and comfortable. But the breakfast…one of the best!! Plated, bountiful and made from scratch…and you could taste it! We also liked the outside porch and grounds of the location. The inn is close to the downtown area as well. If we ever do another road trip…we will be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Holly S

Hi Holly S, We are glad you made that mistake too. So many people who stay in the River room comment on it's being small ( which it certainly is!) but comfortable. It is our smallest room. I hope you come back sometime and try one of the bigger ones.
thank you for all the nice thoughts, Harriet at Bufflehead Cove

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This B&B is located at the end of secluded road(not far from town) overlooking the river.
We had the balcony room which had a glass and screened in porch overlooking the cove.
Sunrises were amazing. Harriet and her son Erin are wonderful hosts and make you feel
comfortable from the moment you step through the door. Breakfast(prepared by Harriet's sister)
were delicious and presented beautifully. Our room was clean, comfortable, décor was very thought out and lovely. They
thought of all the little things that helped make our stay memorable, including nightly turn down
w/chocolates :) We will definitely visit again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 523DeeK

I am so sorry that I am late in responding to your nice review. We so appreciate hearing from our guests and hearing their nice complements. It is important to us that all our guests ( whether staying in our smallest room to our very largest) enjoy their visit. That is numero uno to us. Erin, Jim and I hope you come visit again sometime in the future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

This was our second visit to Bufflehead, a warm and welcoming B&B just outside of town at the end of a quiet lane right on a cove. Our host, Aaron, was most helpful and accomodating. Our Balcony room was exceptionally large and comfortable with a porch that overlooked the cove. Breakfast inside or on the porch was delicious and filling, and the inn is full of beautiful plantings. I can usually think of some negative issue or improvement for a lodging, but in this case, I am lost for words. We look forward to the next time we visit this relaxing, quiet hideaway in the most serene setting.

Room Tip: Balcony room is direct front with a porch view of the cove
1  Thank CaptainCosmos
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you Captain Cosmos. It is a great complement that you couldn't find any negative issues. That is so nice to hear. Of course we look around and constantly see things that need to be improved ( fewer ducks would be a good idea but they keep increasing!).
We look forward to having you return. Warm regards, Harriet and Erin

Reviewed 28 July 2014

If you're looking for something different, then this is a great choice. My wife and I travel a fair amount, and we were looking for a one night getaway in Kennebunkport, so we gave this place a try. it's quiet, relaxing, and being near the water is awesome. The staff is incredibly welcoming and sometimes you forget that you're not staying with relative or friends. The rooms are great too. we stayed in the cove room, and I highly recommend it.

breakfast was awesome. waking up and sitting by the water would be a nice way to spend every morning, but I guess we'll settle for just once. Hopefully we can find a way to visit again soon, even with a little one on the way in a few weeks! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
mainehatty, Owner at Bufflehead Cove Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Hi Dowdy, It was nice to meet you both and have you visit. Thank you for the kind words. As I said when you left, we may not see you for awhile as you should be pretty busy with the new person in your life!

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We spent our 4th summer vacation at Bufflehead Cove Inn and it just keeps getting better. We spent this trip with friends who joined us and hands-down it was the best. Harriet, Jim and Erin are great innkeepers and the go out of their way to accommodate. From wildlife (we saw terns, woodchucks, turkeys, turtles [but no snakes] to fun times - Bufflehead adds a new dimension to the R&R we look forward to. The breakfasts are a foodies delight - presentation and taste are looked forward to each morning.

Room Tip: Beach Pass is available.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank SR-Boston

Hi SR-Boston, It was great having you visit again. If you had asked about snakes I could have shown you one or two that bask on our sunny rock walls! Chances are that's one wildlife you probably don't want to see. Thank you for the nice review and we look forward to seeing you again. Harriet

Reviewed 27 July 2014

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at beautiful Bufflehead Cove Inn. This inn is perfect for a quiet relaxing stay while still being fairly close to the center of town. We stayed in the Balcony room, a large comfortable room with a beautiful view of the tidal river. The innkeepers Harriet and Erin couldn't have been nicer and the breakfasts were the best we have had, and we have stayed at many other B&B's! We also enjoyed the resident ducks and ducklings, who were very entertaining! We hope to return some time soon! Janet H.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello Janet H. thank you for taking the time to write this nice review. We really do appreciate it. Erin, Jim and I are glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again in the future. Harriet

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunk
Grace White Barn Inn and Spa
Nonantum Resort
Nonantum Resort
#1 of 6 in Kennebunkport
Port Inn Kennebunk, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member

Been to Bufflehead Cove Inn? Share your experiences!