“An escape into the woods”
Review of Hidden Pond

Hidden Pond
Ranked #6 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We have traveled inside and outside of the United States, and have found this diamond right here in Maine! Our cottage was well appointed, a good size yet felt cozy, the surroundings so quiet, the bedding luxurious, near perfect place to vacation and relax.The shuttle service to various locations is a definite plus, no hassle with driving and parking! The continental breakfast was a nice treat, delivered to our cottage at 8:00, it consisted of quiche, coffee cake, fruit salad, coffee and juice, plus yogurt already in the fridge. A great escape, would definitely return!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank GottaloveMaine
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Dear GottaLoveMaine:

First off, great username -- I concur -- you gotta love it.

I am pleased to know that Hidden Pond is a diamond in your eyes. Guests like yourselves have fallen in love with the accommodation -- a perfect hybrid of rustic elegance. I am happy to know that the little touches with our breakfast, transport and provisioned fridges were well received!

We hope to welcome you back to Hidden Pond in the future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

I readily admit, I'm a "selective" traveler. Yes, I want to see the local sites, try the area's cuisine, etc. but the fact is, if the accommodations are not as clean as my home, I don't want to sleep there. It just makes for sleep-deprived, cranky travelers when the on-site food is bad, the bed is lumpy, the sheets are scratchy and you are doused with cold water daily in the shower. So yes, readers, I like luxury accommodations but that doesn't necessarily translate into marble, tv screens in the master mirrors, and plush carpeting.

Hidden Pond has the "ahhh" vibe. We are a couple without children in our mid-40s and although we love children, we don't want to share our hard-won vacation with other people's kids. We like quiet, tranquility and try to select places designed more for couples than families. So, I was a bit hesitant about booking HP b/c they cater to everyone. But, having stayed at similar style properties (e.g. Blackberry Farm), I knew balance was achievable if the service staff works hard and the property is laid out appropriately. HP was on point on all counts.

The larger cottages, ostensibly for families, and the smaller, two person cottages are arranged strategically around the property. HP does a beautiful job with keeping the property manicured with a "fresh" feeling; the garden is adorable and you can pick blueberries, flowers, or veggies with materials provided in the potting shed; the grounds are full of lush flowers, ponds that look like they were there pre-construction, and in general, it is just a lovely, tranquil setting.

Our cottage had a king bed. My one complaint-a single sink in the bathroom. There was a loonnnggg bench adjacent to the sink. Frankly, my better half and I would have much preferred two sinks to the bench. While I'm commenting on the bath area, we also found the water temperature so-so (a long wait to get even warm water) and the water pressure so-so.

Every morning you can eagerly anticipate the delivery of your breakfast basket. It is typically pastries, fruit (& of course, coffee) and there is yogurt in your mini-fridge, along with juice and milk. I had mentioned I am allergic to wheat and I'm used to making do, so I had no expectation for a "special menu." HP being HP, they surprised me with gluten-free goodies throughout our stay and thoughtfully added eggs to our daily breakfast. We also give them kudos for featuring locally made items such as the jellies. The only down-side was my poor husband's deprivation. He always looks forward to vacay with anticipation because he can have all of the gluten his heart desires. He opened that pastry basket with glee morning one, ate all pastries and quiches, and then was woefully downcast days two and three when only 1 gluten-free goodie arrived for me. We thought they just shifted us to eggs, but later, found out it was an oversight that he didn't receive his daily pastry. HP was thoughtful enough to pack us a travel survival kit the day we left and I can attest, all gluten disappeared!

We tried a little of everything (as weather permitted) and I will review Earth (the on-site restaurant) and the spa separately. We took a paddle boarding lesson with Marcio. I knew if Jennifer Aniston and other celebs did this as a form of exercise, then it was core, core, core. I tried to tell my husband (who grew up on the water) that this was going to be a work out. I loved it, even though balance is a struggle for my little vestibular system and I'm generally not the most coordinated individual on the planet. I am proud to say I only fell off once even if I was the turtle slowly plodding and muddling along. My husband said it was hard and, while happy we tried it, he isn't keen to do it again. Yet, he was the hare jetting off towards the horizon like a pro! Marcio kept a watchful eye on us and individualized his instruction, helping me learn to turn and giving my husband more advanced skills. We had hoped to kayak with Marcio, but the rain had other ideas!

In a word, I would call HP delightful with a smiley face. The staff, many of whom seem young, are cordial, aim to please and there is an obvious focus on service. A commendation to Katie for superlative customer service from helping us sort out packages to tipping off the kitchen about my dietary restrictions. We heard people booking reservations when they checked out for six months from now and I believe for peak seasons, that is a must. We won't be able to return this fall, but hope to Fall 2015 for our wedding anniversary. We still have a lot of things to explore at both HP and in the Kennebunkport area, so I hope we'll return soon!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wendy S

Dear Wendy:

The answer to your question is without a doubt, "Yes!" -- we'd love to have you back. It sounds as though Hidden Pond was a perfect fit for you and your travel plans and desires. Our owner had an incredible vision for the property upon it's inception and we continuously work hard to provide a hospitable presence that matches the environment. It's all about that "ahh" vibe that you mention.

Your feel-good review is music to our ears and provides a refreshing validation that our efforts go noticed. I've read it three times now and know that countless staff members have as well. It is most rewarding to know that your precious vacation time was spent with us in Kennebunkport and that we were able to provide exactly what you had hoped for and more.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort in the future. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if I can provide any assistance in booking future stays for you -- I'd love to add my personal touch.

Wishing you an endless summer...

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Wow, this place is fantastic! Romantic and quiet, tucked in the middle of the woods, with perfectly appointed rooms! Pictures don't do justice. The room is spacious and comfortable( especially the bed!). We loved the outdoor shower. Breakfast consists of fresh fruit, quiche, pastry, and delicious coffee, placed by your door promptly at 8 am. Staff is friendly and helpful. We can really "do nothing or everything" as they have daily activities. I tried the yoga and it was very relaxing. Time didn't permit to try other things, like hiking and paddle board. Next time for sure! I regret not trying the massage, the reviews from everyone I spoken to were stellar. The restaurant on the premises, Earth, was the best I ever had, and I'm picky. We also tried their sister property, Tides Beach Club. Great spot for cocktails on the porch. What else can I say.... Just go. You won't regret it! We plan to return next year.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Danielli C
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Danielli:

I am happy to know that we were able to meet your expectations and then quickly surpass them! Our "nestled-in" location and fine accommodations certainly provide a fantastic first impression and we've worked hard to develop a professional staff who can meet your every need.

I am so glad that you were able to be active, while also having plenty of time to relax. As you said, you could do everything there is to do or nothing at all..and still be just as happy!

We look forward to welcoming you back next season. In the meantime, wishing you an endless summer...

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We just returned from a 5 night stay in a two bedroom cottage called Lucky. Everything about this place is spectacular! The food, the grounds, and the service are wonderful. Each morning my kids cut fresh flowers from the garden and made an arrangement for our cottage.
You must eat at Earth, the food is delicious. The nightly s'mores at the fire pit are a huge hit, and we enjoyed riding bikes around the property.

Room Tip: All of the cottages are the same size, they just offer different decor and some are one level and ot...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
GeneralManagerHP, General Manager at Hidden Pond, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear nfrith:

"Lucky", you...I'm glad you enjoyed the cottage! It's one of my personal favorites and was created by a dear friend and local designer. I am happy to hear that you took advantage of the cutting garden as well as the nightly bonfires. These are some of the most simplistic, yet memorable, components of the resort. Earth is a special restaurant and a concept that is so perfectly fit for Hidden Pond. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and high praise -- we greatly appreciate your kindness and support!

Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I returned for our 3rd visit inearly June. As I am disabled we required accessible accommodations. My wife is quite busy during the year and needs some "down time". We.spend a good amount of time in our bungalow cottage. We have dinner in our room and we dined 2 evenings at Earth. My wife frequented the spa on 3 occasions.

What makes Hidden Pond special :

One evening we wanted to dine in our room. We were informed that Esrth was closed that day and we could not be serviced. My wife had a spa appointment that day and mentioned it to the masseuse. We received a phone call shortly after her massage providing us with a list of restaurants we could order from. It was delivered promptly to our room at the time we requested.
My wife and I both agree we will try to return every June.

As Tom Cruise said in the movies:.." You had me at hello"!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Joe:

It is a pleasure to know that you have continued to return to Hidden Pond throughout the years. I am apologetic that I didn't have the chance to say hello this time around. We feel that Hidden Pond is the perfect place for a respite and I am so glad to know that you and your wife were able to enjoy some well-deserved rest and relaxation. There are very few impossibilities in this business and we do our best to anticipate needs and ensure that our guests are entirely satisfied. It is this seamless experience that you had at the Spa that we consistently drive towards delivering. Thank you for acknowledging our efforts and for using such a fitting movie quote!

We look forward to seeing you for many June's to come!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

my husband and I stay at Hidden Pond for two nights this past week. We arrived early and were welcomed and given a packet of information about the resort, a tour, and encouraged to utilize the resort amenities until our bungalow was ready. Even though check in wasn't for several hours, they were able get us into ours early.

The bungalow:

High ceilings, lovely décor, fridge stocked with juice, milk, yogurt, water, local soda. The bar was stocked with local coffee, homemade granola, homemade desserts and a Hidden Pond Tote. SO many personal touches throughout the bungalow and the porch was peaceful and quite. The bedding was really nice and it was nice to have the option of the outdoor shower as well as of course in the beautiful bathroom.

The Pool:

We only spent time at the adult pool near Earth. It was large and heated with lots of seating areas, lounge chairs, pool side beds, and comfy chairs to sit in during lunch. They serve incredible drinks and will bring lunch to you from Provisions. I enjoyed the different infused water each day (strawberry-mint, cucumber-lemon, etc).

The Back Porch (bar):

Located in The Lodge, the Back porch is a great spot to grab a delicious cocktail and either sit at the bar or head outside near the second pool at one of the many many outdoor seating spots. They have a bonfire and s'mores each night at dusk.

Transportation:

They offer transportation to dinners, into town and of course to The Tide's Beach Club to enjoy the beach. It is simple to call the Lodge, book your time and they arrive at your Bungalow to pick you up.

Earth:

I will do a separate review for this, but it was unbelievable. We've been several times before we stayed and have loved each one. We were able to get an outside table in the garden. Magical. The services was lovely, food amazing, great cocktail and wine selection.

All in all it was an incredible luxurious, welcoming place. We both felt very sad to leave and wished we had had a full week there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear mekah23:

Thanks for such a concise review from your recent trip to Hidden Pond! It am glad to know that we were able to get you an early start to your trip. Although we can't guarantee early check-ins, it is always nice when the schedule works to accommodate one!

We work to incorporate thoughtful, personalized touches throughout much of the resort. From the water served by the pools to the selection of linens to the transportation between KRC properties. We realize how important these decisions and amenities are to a guests' vacation and we work hard to ensure that all guests' needs are met.

I am so happy that you were able to indulge in a relaxing and luxurious vacation. I hope that you'll come back and visit us soon! Please feel free to ask for me personally when booking a future stay, I'd be happy to assist!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

We have been going to Hidden Pond every summer since it first opened . As we watch it grow and change over the years, there is pleasure and excitement in many of the new changes (Espresso at Provisions!! ) and reassuring things that remain the same, paper ,breakfast pastries, coffee and cut fruit delivered to the door each morning) , and yet, there is always a little fear that expansion will mean a dip in quality. I am happy to report the reverse is true. Under the expert (and I don't use that term lightly) management of Justin Grimes, Hidden Pond runs like a clock. The staff is so well trained and hospitable that they make it all seem effortless...which allows their guests including lucky US to completely RELAX.

The cottages are comfortable and really well appointed, Earth is outstanding, the garden is stunning, lots of interesting activities are available for the whole family...but the staff is really what makes Hidden Pond stand out.

One last thing. Our daughter has a degenerative muscle condition that makes getting around difficult for her and in all the years we have gone to HP, we have never been able to go to the gorgeous Goose Rocks beach nearby. Before our recent stay Justin mentioned a new beach access for wheelchairs which is wonderful . It just takes you over the dunes and you can't go over the sand down to the water in a regular wheelchair but you can at least go and see the sparkling water. We looked forward to doing just that. Then IMAGINE our delighted amazement to see delivered to our cabin a special beach wheelchair that Justin had found allowing us to take our girl for long walks along that beautiful beach. Better yet imagine the look of DELIGHT on her face. I know I will never forget it.

Thank you Hidden Pond, it was amazing, as always~

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear prettypickyboston:

Thank for you taking the time to review Hidden Pond once again. This really transcends being just a review and in turn is one of the most heartwarming pieces of professional feedback that I've ever read and received. I think that your review is a true testament to the support in which you have shown Hidden Pond throughout the years, as well as the kind and thoughtful approach that our team here at Hidden Pond has towards hospitality. I am just so overwhelmed with pride and joy to know that your family was able to experience Goose Rocks Beach together after so many years visiting the area. Knowing the feeling of delight that your daughter felt (and what you experienced together as a family) instantly became the highlight of the season for me and is something that I won't soon forget.

I look forward to countless more trips and having the pleasure of hosting your family at our resort for years to come. Wishing you all a wonderful summer and the very best until we see you again.

Hidden Pond Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
#1 of 6 in Kennebunkport
Inn by the Sea
Inn by the Sea
#1 of 1 in Cape Elizabeth

Been to Hidden Pond? Share your experiences!