“5 Star PLUS!!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Hamilton, NJ
“5 Star PLUS!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here July 4th for 4 nights, after taking a chance and booking it on JETSETTER. I got an email, and we just decided to do it. I am a lifer. Really. I don't even know where to begin. Attention to detail is everywhere, the décor, the food, the rooms, the lodge. EVERYONE, was hands down awesome! Nice, friendly, helpful. Not one complaint. I am very picky about my rooms. The rooms are spectacular. So clean. Bedding clean and beautiful. My room attendant was hands on and absolute perfection. Our room was always spotless when we arrived back after a long day. Towels are clean and fresh. The Lodge itself is the perfect spot to everything in Kennebunkport. I almost didn't want to write this review because now everyone will go, and I might not get a reservation! But I cannot deny the staff, or this property that. The food is light and fresh, the bartenders are spectacular. They make great drinks and even think of holiday drink specials that were delicious. The cozy fire on a chilly evening, the open air bar, the pool is always being cleaned and looked after, so is the area itself. The front desk staff is amazing and professional. The beautiful artwork, the rooms, the staff, the food, the drinks, affordable, cleanliness, really, I am coming here every year. And you should too! Oh and did I mention, free bikes to ride into town plus if you forget your chair for the beach, they have some for you to use. Every detail is taken care of and special, to all of the staff, you really are special and thanks for making mine and Rose's mini vacation so special!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, even on second floor stairs are easy and the rooms are great on the second floor...
Green Features: They are water conscious, recycle and are very positive on water saving practices.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank stcygrl1214
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Stcygrl1214,

I had a smile on my face the entire time I read your review. Experiences like yours are what we are looking to accomplish for our guests; thank you so much for your glowing review of us. I’m glad that you pay attention to detail and notice that we do the same. Thank you for noticing all of the people that make us really well rounded; we couldn't make this place what it is, without our team who makes it happen. I am pleased to hear that you got to experience every amenity that we offer. I agree with you that sitting at the fire cove side is such a peaceful experience. We can’t wait for your return!

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our recent three night stay at the Lodge was fine. That's about all I can say, which is sad for a place that is so expensive. Its best feature was the absolute cleanliness of our rooms. We also liked the reasonably priced, good quality food at the Dory snack bar by the pool. The staff was accommodating. Location was great for walking into town, but was NOT on the water as some of us non-ocean dwellers might imply from the name. It is on a cove, which means that depending on the tidal calendar it may be a mud pit most of the time.

We had two rooms (24 and 25) and were dismayed to find that ours looked out onto the kitchen door and snack bar grease fan -- about 10 feet away -- while other rooms had at least views of lawns, woods or the cove. Our back windows looked onto a gravel parking log and propane tanks, while others' windows were onto woods. This despite being told specifically that "all rooms are the same." Management kindly took 10% off, but still we were left with no decent sitting area. Plus, these rooms are first off the parking lot -- so other guests and little kids ran back and forth across our deck constantly (they are narrow). Room 24 was handicapped accessible and furnished well below our other room. The bathroom had a wall sink with no cabinet and no pull-drain -- like the kind in a gas station.

The "resort fee" they charge is ridiculous. There are a few bikes to borrow, but roads are very narrow with no bike path and, for our July 4th weekend, traffic was very heavy. There are beach chairs, but it isn't on a beach (although there is one in town). The pool is a basic pool. That's about it.

Bottom line: If you don't want ocean/waterfront, if you specify that you do not want rooms 24 or 25, and if you don't mind the steep price tag, this is a good option. It's location nestled into the woods is cozy.

Room Tip: NOT rooms 24 or 25; many others have sitting areas overlooking parking lot. Be specific about what y...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank sisterbay716
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Sisterbay716,
I am sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your stay at the lodge on the cove. You are correct in stating that we are located on a tidal cove; we do not advertise or state that we are located on the ocean or beach. The cove is a small recess off the Kennebunk River which is a tidal river. It does indeed at low tide appear as a mud flat as most parts of the river where the canal doesn’t flow does. I’m sorry that this wasn’t clearly stated to you at the time of booking.
I’m glad that you enjoyed the food at The Dory. It is a great location on property as it does open up poolside an allow for a casual environment and lounging.
Your two rooms were located at the end of our Bayberry Building closest to the parking lot. These two rooms are indeed located behind the main lodge. The fan for the restaurant can be loud at time so we try to be as considerate as possible and it only runs during the hours that the restaurant is open and we try to never keep it on later than 9pm. I apologize for the other guests walking on your porch as I can completely understand the inconvenience of that. We do have the sailboat curtains that pull down so that you can make your porch a private setting and not have others intrude upon your space.
You stated in your post that you did let us know your disappoint and that we honored a 10% discount for you. However, you failed to mention in the post that we provided a 10% discount for you for one room and provided you with the second room at no cost, completely free. Our resort fee is $15 per night plus tax and it covers the following items: Cruiser style bicycles, beach chairs and beach towels; no we are not located on the ocean but we do provide a daily beach shuttle as well as beach passes for parking at the Kennebunk Beaches, s’mores by the fire, movie night, family yoga, use of our outdoor heated pool, a supper shuttle that runs between 5pm and 10pm, yard games, and DVD’s for your rooms.
Once again I’m sorry that you were not fully satisfied with your stay with us. We tried our best to assist you with your concerns as we do try to make sure that all of our guests are completely comfortable and enjoying their stay. We hope that you try us out again in a different location on property in the future as we would love a second chance.

Salem, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I got away for a weekend without the kids the end of June and stayed at the Lodge on the Cove for the first time. The room was very good, clean, quite, comfortable, nicely decorated and appreciated the refrigerator. Enjoyed coffee on our small deck w/ 2 chairs out front. The people at the front desk were super friendly. I was told this was their first weekend offering breakfast to purchase. My husband got me an egg sandwich that was a little cold and hard.
Enjoyed the location and easy walk to Ocean Ave that leads either to town or to the Bush estate.
I preferred Goose Rocks beach to Kennebunkport beach, even though there are no rest rooms.
I would return again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Sounds like you had a nice weekend getaway! Thank you so much for providing feedback on our café. The weekend you stayed was definitely a learning experience so we appreciate you trying it out with us. We have made some great improvements as it was a learning process for us.

I will let the Front Desk staff know your kind words. Our front desk staff has such a great upbeat attitude and they are always ready to help each our guests have the best vacation possible.

If you are able to come back in the months of July and August we have some great summer programming such as S’mores by the fire each night, Movie nights on Wednesday and Saturday, Bingo at the Dory, Water Aerobics, and Family Yoga. Can’t wait for you visit us again!

heather@lodgeonthecove.com
207-967-3993
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

The place was nicely renovated and had a beachy modern feel to it. Our room was very comfortable and beautifully decorated with original artwork from a local artist. We enjoyed the free continental breakfast every morning. A short walk to town, the Lodge on the cove is the perfect place to stay if you want to be close to everything but not right in the action. Try the delicious jerk chicken wings at the Dory, great food and great prices. Very friendly staff and clean property. We are looking forward to many other stays at the Lodge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Dear GenGarden,
Thank you for the lovely review and taking the time to honor us with your words. Our Chef had a smile from ear to ear when I passed along your compliment on his Jerk Chicken Wings; they are his favorite menu item to make. Thank you for noticing the beautiful artwork that David Allen painted for us. He is such a talented artist and his painting truly add to the ambiance of our property.
I wish you a sun filled summer. Hope you visit us again on your future trips to Kennebunkport.

Galway, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Clean rooms, super soft pillow and comfy beds, attentive, friendly staff. Family Friendly. The continental breakfast was fresh. The bartender was very nice. The pool was chilly but the kids stayed in for hours anyway. Played some ping pong and corn hole. Close and convenient drive to downtown. Thanks for having us!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear ColleenM88,
Thank you for staying with us, it was our pleasure. We are a great family friendly location and I’m glad that you and your kids got a chance to enjoy the heated pool and our lawn games. I will pass along the compliments to the bartender as well as the rest of the staff. It is nice to have our attention to detail noticed and we appreciate you sharing your experience with other travelers.

Many Thanks,
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This place was our perfect Maine Coast family retreat. Our Bayberry room was nicely designed and well thought through, the space just worked for 2 adults 2 kids. The whole property is sparkling and newly done up in great, modern taste. Our favourite place was the Lodge - a lounge-like space overlooking the pool, bright and sunny during the day and with a cosy fire when it was chilly outside. The only downside was that it closed at 8pm during our late May mid-week stay - would have loved to curl up by the fire with a glass of wine.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Saki_London,
I’m happy to hear that we were your perfect location for your family retreat. I agree with you, that Bayberry does have a nice location for families as it is conveniently located near the cove side pool and the lodge. I am sorry that you were disappointed about the lodge closing at 8pm. We unfortunately do not have a 24 hour desk and during our off season do close at the earlier 8pm time, 10pm on the weekends and summer time. I do hope that you were still able to enjoy your glass of wine while relaxing on your front porch overlooking the cove. All of us at the lodge enjoyed having your family stay with us. It was nice to see your kids playing chess in the lodge as well as some of our other games. I hope that you will join us again on your next visit to Kennebunkport.

The lodge on the cove
29 South Main Street
Kennebunkport, Maine 04046
207-967-3993
heather@lodgeonthecove.com
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Old motor lodge recently renovated with a hipster vibe. Fun lounge, amazing lobster sliders and yummy drinks. Rooms were small, but clean and lodge in biking distance to many things (easy ride to downtown Kennebunkport shops). Very friendly staff, great value for the price.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Heather B,
Sounds like you had a relaxing time while you were staying with us. Our property was just completely renovated last season; thank you for noticing our accomplishment. Our cruiser bicycles are a nice way to quickly get you to town to enjoy the local food, drinks, and shopping. I agree that The Dory’s Lobster Sliders are amazing and nice twist to a traditional lobster roll. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We hope to see you again on your next visit to Kennebunkport.

The Lodge on the Cove Team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Colony Hotel
#8 of 26 in Kennebunkport
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#13 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to The Lodge on the Cove? Share your experiences!