“Lovely setting, nice rooms and pool and just a stone's throw from town”

The Lodge on the Cove
Ranked #9 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 August 2014

A well presented lodge with good sized rooms and a pleasant pool area. The reception area has plenty of seating areas for the occasional rainy afternoon. Dinner shuttle was very useful - although it is only a 15 minute stroll into town. The restaurant is handy if you are around at lunch time although the morning cafe could be made more welcoming.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear TravelerFarnhamUK,
Sounds like you made the most of your vacation with us. You have definitely pinpointed some great tips for future travelers. We are in close proximity to town; you could walk, take the shuttle or even take one of our bikes. Our lodge has an abundance of classic board games and family bonding activities so that there is still a great place for everyone to get together on those rainy days. We would love to hear suggestions for the café; my email is listed below. We just recently changed it up a bit with adding more items for not only breakfast but also for a grab and go style lunch. We know you traveled to us from afar but we hope that your next trip to the states you would visit us again.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We made our first visit to the Lodge on the Cove recently. We were looking specifically for low key boutique B&B type stay, but also wanted access to a pool, so this seemed like a great option. Overall, we were satisfied with our stay- the room and lounge decoration were lovely, everything very clean and new, and staff were friendly. I would recommend this hotel to couples traveling with children. Unfortunately, I would not recommend the Lodge to folks traveling without children. The hotel is a family friendly hotel, which is a wonderful thing… unfortunately, it feels less accommodating to those without children. We counted upwards of 15-20 children in the relatively small pool at any given time, making it impossible to use, no less actually enjoy/relax… and my partner actually got hit in the face by a child who threw her swim goggles off. It felt a bit like sitting poolside at a children's summer camp. Without being able to really enjoy the pool, the price of the stay felt hefty relative to other local B&B's, particularly given the additional resort charge and the lack of a breakfast (muffins and coffee are provided).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa_Eric_NYC

Dear Lisa_Eric_NYC,
Thank you for taking the time to share your vacation with other travelers. We appreciate your kind words on our décor and staff. I’m sorry that you had the experience that you did while relaxing poolside. That is definitely not what we want to happen for any of our travelers. I agree with your recommendation for couples traveling with children during the months of July and August. September and October are great times to travel for couples that are looking for a retreat. We hope that you are able to come back and visit us again.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

My kids (4, 9) and I stayed at the Lodge during the tail in of our annual Maine trip. Having lived in Kennebunkport several years ago but not having been back with my kids - I was pleasantly surprised by the Lodge. Nice accommodations, activities and excellent staff. Secluded location yet only a short drive from town or beach area; it's probably a 10 minute walk to the water. All in all...and in the context of knowing the lay-of-the-land a bit...I thought the Lodge was an excellent choice for me & the kids. Some of the bigger-named "resorts" may be of comparable price but I would concur with some of the TA reviews; they are not as nice.
I have already recommended the Lodge to others and will stay with (you) again if able; thanks!
-Andrew from Denver, CO

1  Thank halpmaine
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Andrew,
Glad that you returned to Kennebunkport for a visit! Thank you for your recommendations; it’s always nice for travelers to hear firsthand accounts of the memorable times people had. For some people looking at a map it does look like we are further away from town than people would like, but you are right, knowing the lay-of-the-land we are very conveniently located and within a quick walk. Hope your children enjoyed their stay with us as well and may it become a traditional stop on your annual vacation to Maine.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 3 visits to two different KPT Resort Collection Properties, The Lodge At The Cove and The Cottages On The Cove . First at The Lodge last Fall (along with my Dad) Brought him back in June for his birthday. On our most recent visit we were already at Kennebunkport when I checked my email and saw there was literally " No room at the Inn " Due to an inventory snafu through the booking company. Heather the Manager sprung into action and upgraded us to The Cottages. One each to ourselves! I can not say enough about the customer service, quality of the properties, very comfy beds, the bikes and to many great amenities to mention. I will be back!

Room Tip: I especially like the rooms at the Lodge nearest the pool. If you'd like complete privacy, peace...
1  Thank Rick P
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Rick P,
You and your father are such a pleasure to have at our property. I’m sad that we couldn’t accommodate you at the lodge during this trip to Kennebunkport; but very glad that you got to experience Cabot Cove Cottages and all that they have to offer for peace and serenity. Hopefully your Dad got to enjoy his walk into town for a nice cup of coffee during this trip and you got to lounge by the cove. I would like to thank you personally for the kind words that you spoke of me; I couldn’t have done it without the help from Linda, the Assistant General Manager at the cottages. Can’t wait to have you back to visit.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here July 4th for 4 nights, after taking a chance and booking it on JETSETTER. I got an email, and we just decided to do it. I am a lifer. Really. I don't even know where to begin. Attention to detail is everywhere, the décor, the food, the rooms, the lodge. EVERYONE, was hands down awesome! Nice, friendly, helpful. Not one complaint. I am very picky about my rooms. The rooms are spectacular. So clean. Bedding clean and beautiful. My room attendant was hands on and absolute perfection. Our room was always spotless when we arrived back after a long day. Towels are clean and fresh. The Lodge itself is the perfect spot to everything in Kennebunkport. I almost didn't want to write this review because now everyone will go, and I might not get a reservation! But I cannot deny the staff, or this property that. The food is light and fresh, the bartenders are spectacular. They make great drinks and even think of holiday drink specials that were delicious. The cozy fire on a chilly evening, the open air bar, the pool is always being cleaned and looked after, so is the area itself. The front desk staff is amazing and professional. The beautiful artwork, the rooms, the staff, the food, the drinks, affordable, cleanliness, really, I am coming here every year. And you should too! Oh and did I mention, free bikes to ride into town plus if you forget your chair for the beach, they have some for you to use. Every detail is taken care of and special, to all of the staff, you really are special and thanks for making mine and Rose's mini vacation so special!

Room Tip: All rooms are good, even on second floor stairs are easy and the rooms are great on the second floor...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank stcygrl1214

Dear Stcygrl1214,

I had a smile on my face the entire time I read your review. Experiences like yours are what we are looking to accomplish for our guests; thank you so much for your glowing review of us. I’m glad that you pay attention to detail and notice that we do the same. Thank you for noticing all of the people that make us really well rounded; we couldn't make this place what it is, without our team who makes it happen. I am pleased to hear that you got to experience every amenity that we offer. I agree with you that sitting at the fire cove side is such a peaceful experience. We can’t wait for your return!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our recent three night stay at the Lodge was fine. That's about all I can say, which is sad for a place that is so expensive. Its best feature was the absolute cleanliness of our rooms. We also liked the reasonably priced, good quality food at the Dory snack bar by the pool. The staff was accommodating. Location was great for walking into town, but was NOT on the water as some of us non-ocean dwellers might imply from the name. It is on a cove, which means that depending on the tidal calendar it may be a mud pit most of the time.

We had two rooms (24 and 25) and were dismayed to find that ours looked out onto the kitchen door and snack bar grease fan -- about 10 feet away -- while other rooms had at least views of lawns, woods or the cove. Our back windows looked onto a gravel parking log and propane tanks, while others' windows were onto woods. This despite being told specifically that "all rooms are the same." Management kindly took 10% off, but still we were left with no decent sitting area. Plus, these rooms are first off the parking lot -- so other guests and little kids ran back and forth across our deck constantly (they are narrow). Room 24 was handicapped accessible and furnished well below our other room. The bathroom had a wall sink with no cabinet and no pull-drain -- like the kind in a gas station.

The "resort fee" they charge is ridiculous. There are a few bikes to borrow, but roads are very narrow with no bike path and, for our July 4th weekend, traffic was very heavy. There are beach chairs, but it isn't on a beach (although there is one in town). The pool is a basic pool. That's about it.

Bottom line: If you don't want ocean/waterfront, if you specify that you do not want rooms 24 or 25, and if you don't mind the steep price tag, this is a good option. It's location nestled into the woods is cozy.

Room Tip: NOT rooms 24 or 25; many others have sitting areas overlooking parking lot. Be specific about what y...
3  Thank sisterbay716
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Dear Sisterbay716,
I am sorry to hear that you were not fully satisfied with your stay at the lodge on the cove. You are correct in stating that we are located on a tidal cove; we do not advertise or state that we are located on the ocean or beach. The cove is a small recess off the Kennebunk River which is a tidal river. It does indeed at low tide appear as a mud flat as most parts of the river where the canal doesn’t flow does. I’m sorry that this wasn’t clearly stated to you at the time of booking.
I’m glad that you enjoyed the food at The Dory. It is a great location on property as it does open up poolside an allow for a casual environment and lounging.
Your two rooms were located at the end of our Bayberry Building closest to the parking lot. These two rooms are indeed located behind the main lodge. The fan for the restaurant can be loud at time so we try to be as considerate as possible and it only runs during the hours that the restaurant is open and we try to never keep it on later than 9pm. I apologize for the other guests walking on your porch as I can completely understand the inconvenience of that. We do have the sailboat curtains that pull down so that you can make your porch a private setting and not have others intrude upon your space.
You stated in your post that you did let us know your disappoint and that we honored a 10% discount for you. However, you failed to mention in the post that we provided a 10% discount for you for one room and provided you with the second room at no cost, completely free. Our resort fee is $15 per night plus tax and it covers the following items: Cruiser style bicycles, beach chairs and beach towels; no we are not located on the ocean but we do provide a daily beach shuttle as well as beach passes for parking at the Kennebunk Beaches, s’mores by the fire, movie night, family yoga, use of our outdoor heated pool, a supper shuttle that runs between 5pm and 10pm, yard games, and DVD’s for your rooms.
Once again I’m sorry that you were not fully satisfied with your stay with us. We tried our best to assist you with your concerns as we do try to make sure that all of our guests are completely comfortable and enjoying their stay. We hope that you try us out again in a different location on property in the future as we would love a second chance.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband and I got away for a weekend without the kids the end of June and stayed at the Lodge on the Cove for the first time. The room was very good, clean, quite, comfortable, nicely decorated and appreciated the refrigerator. Enjoyed coffee on our small deck w/ 2 chairs out front. The people at the front desk were super friendly. I was told this was their first weekend offering breakfast to purchase. My husband got me an egg sandwich that was a little cold and hard.
Enjoyed the location and easy walk to Ocean Ave that leads either to town or to the Bush estate.
I preferred Goose Rocks beach to Kennebunkport beach, even though there are no rest rooms.
I would return again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
lodgeonthecove, Front Office Manager at The Lodge on the Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Sounds like you had a nice weekend getaway! Thank you so much for providing feedback on our café. The weekend you stayed was definitely a learning experience so we appreciate you trying it out with us. We have made some great improvements as it was a learning process for us.

I will let the Front Desk staff know your kind words. Our front desk staff has such a great upbeat attitude and they are always ready to help each our guests have the best vacation possible.

If you are able to come back in the months of July and August we have some great summer programming such as S’mores by the fire each night, Movie nights on Wednesday and Saturday, Bingo at the Dory, Water Aerobics, and Family Yoga. Can’t wait for you visit us again!

207-967-3993

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
#10 of 25 in Kennebunkport
Nonantum Resort
Nonantum Resort
#1 of 6 in Kennebunkport

Been to The Lodge on the Cove? Share your experiences!