“Disappointed ”

Cuisines: Healthy
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hidden Pond Lane
Description: Simple yet innovative, Executive Che Joe Schafer's menu at Earth focuses on "farm to fork" freshness. In addition to local meats and seafood, ingredients are used from one of two onsite organic gardens-picked daily and incorporated into each dish to enhance the many flavors and provide a taste that only fresh ingredients deliver. Hand-made pastas, house-made charcuterie and wood oven fired pizzas are thoughtfully prepared and sure to impress your palate. Our wine program features selections from countries such as Argentina, Chile, and Lebanon, while inspired, signature libations are concocted with freshly muddled fruits and fresh herbs from the garden.
“Disappointed ”
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

Visited Earth while on vacation with my husband. Had heard great things and loved their sister restaurant at the Tides Beach Club so we decided to give it a try. Got a great seat at the bar, drinks were good. Great salad to start and then the waiting started. Approx 25+ minutes later I noticed the lobster that I ordered had been sitting in the window for a good 10-15 minutes. I finally asked the bartender and told him that I hoped that wasn't mine as it had been sitting there a long time. After he approached the kitchen, they quickly pulled it "out of the window" and shortly after our meals arrived. I was very disappointed in my $42 lobster that consisted of about 5 tasteless bites. The bartender knew I was upset and offered to take a "round of drinks" off the bill--once I looked at the bill only 1 glass of wine was taken off. I definitely would NOT recommend this place to anyone and left with a bad taste in my mouth, hungry and $200 wasted :(

4 Thank Sara P
Danielle W, General Manager at Earth, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Sara P,
It is always with a heavy heart I respond to one-star Trip Advisor reviews; I suppose if I didn’t care about our service so much it would be easier perhaps. Reading a review (sometimes weeks later like in this case) and finding what we tried didn’t work is disheartening.

In this case, many of us remember you being here and where you sat at the bar; and this is because when a guest is not happy, it sticks out to us, and becomes something we carry with us for a day or two….especially when we feel like the issue was not completely understood or remedied. I remember how concerned the bartender and the chef were about your comments that night. We have an open kitchen, but the lobster you received in no way sat around before we served it to you. We were all there while it was being prepared and can attest to this. We are sorry you felt it was small, and are disappointed you did not think it was delicious. We are the only restaurant I know of that serves lobsters that have never been tanked.

It was the bartender’s intent to offer you something more in the hopes we could better your mood, not to have given a half hearted attempt to make things better. We are not dismissing the issue of your food taking 25 minutes to prepare, but I truly don’t understand why you would rate our team only 1-star.

Lexington, Massachusetts
“Doesn't disappoint”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We expected this to be good, knowing it was Ken Oringer's restaurant, and it didn't disappoint. It's great to have high end food in a low-key and relaxed atmosphere. We've been twice already. It is a bit out of the way, taking a while to get to unless you are staying on the grounds but worth the drive. Potato appetizer is absolutely delicious, and all the entrees were great --- some might feel that they are a bit small but with the app it seems like the right amount of food.Great service too. Haven't tried the desserts, but they looked good on the way by to other tables. They welcome children, but I would try to dine before 7 if I had young kids as the atmosphere is a bit quiet later. Cool bar, and always packed - go early if you want a seat.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank MCA523
MCA523,
Thank you for writing a reviewing Earth. You make mention of many helpful tips in your review and I’m sure that is appreciated by those reading it (I like reading things like this when I'm deciding where to eat ).
We are kid friendly and are always happy to cook for picky palates, or budding foodies, and have made a few Farm Burger fans this season…but as the night moves closer to 8pm we see very few kids in the dining room.
We are a bit out of the way (5 miles from downtown Kennebunkport), and happy to hear you think we are worth the ride! Please let us know when you are headed back out to see us, we would like to make sure you try our desserts next time! The salted peanut butter and banana ice cream sundae is a staple (and will probably never be removed from the list), but don’t miss the angel food cake with our own blueberry sorbet and rhubarb crumble, this is only my opinion, but I’d put it in the favorite desserts ever category.
Kennebunk, Maine
“Great Experiences again!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I visited Earth twice in the last week and both times exceeded my expectations. The first evening we did not have a reservation so we sat in their first come/first serve area around the pool. Mariah was our server and she was excellent, she knew the menu inside and out and made some wonderful recommendations. It was the first time I had the wings and they were amazing! The dessert was noteworthy as well and was a treat to the palate. The second evening we had a reservation inside the restaurant and Laura was our server, who was also excellent. The tree line cocktail was a favorite as was the pasta dish. Again, she was very well informed and made some great recommendations. Earth has never disappointed us and we will continue to enjoy this gem in Southern Maine as often as possible!

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank cyndi s
Cyndi s,
Thank you for taking time to write a review for us! It is always delightful to hear that we have some guests (whether local or vacationing) that come and dine at Earth twice in a week. We love to hear this and take it as a real compliment that guests enjoyed their first experience with us enough to come back and visit us again so quickly!
We have a wonderful team here at Earth, and we couldn't do what we do without them. We are lucky to have returning staff like Mariah (2 years) and new faces like Laura (4 months) both take our menu and what we try to create here at Earth seriously…and do their best to translate that to our guests. Thank you for giving them a “shout out”, I know they read our TA reviews…and will be happy to find this one here!
Boston, Massachusetts
“Delicious Food/ High Price”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We visited Earth this week to celebrate a birthday. Our server was very attentive and was helpful as we were deciding what to eat for entrees. She had a firm grasp on the menu and checked in regularly to make sure we loved everything.

The decor was very interesting, and provided a nice atmosphere and something to look at and enjoy while dining. It was a little loud, but not so much that I found it distracting or uncomfortable at all.

We enjoyed the foie gras and crab toast as appetizers, the haddock and scallop entrees, and a blueberry sorbet dessert. Everything tasted great and the presentation was beautiful with fresh vegetables and flowers.

Earth was an interesting and delicious dining experience, but I felt that the prices were a bit steep. The food was great and the preparation/presentation skillful for sure, but I felt I was also paying a premium for dining within the bounds of a swanky resort. Which is understandable to some extent, but I also think it is worth noting for those thinking about trying it out.

• Visited August 2014
Danielle W, General Manager at Earth, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dustpan_dan,
It is nice to read a review that is written like a review! We thank you for sharing your experience with us and giving thoughtful advice to other diners. Hearing that your overall experience was very good is all we can ask for!
We have mentioned before in responses that we do acknowledge that we have slightly higher prices than some others in the area. We feel strongly that the best possible ingredients should be used at Earth and we believe in using organic, free-range product from our farmers, diver select scallops and line caught fish; and support a way of life and hope we translate that through our food. We hope you understand our decision to do so, and will also support this effort too...it is not an easy task. That said, should you visit us again I am confident we can give you an amazing experience again and help you navigate our menu so that you are able to try many things and not worry about budget.
Thank you for spending your birthday celebration with us this year and hope you will join us again next year!
PS-What a great user-name! Maybe you’ll share the story with us next time!
New York City, New York
“Great Special Occasion Meal ”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Ambience was unique and beautiful - service was friendly - complimentary dessert for our anniversary (get the donuts - delicious) - food was very good tried a bunch of snacks apps and one entree and split everything. Bar service was lacking - don't waste time w the cocktails - no alcohol in them and it took awhile the get our drinks at first ... Maître 'd was extremely friendly and accommodating... Definitely recommend

Danielle W, General Manager at Earth, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Mfounds,
Thank you for deciding to spend your anniversary with us at Earth. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience and tried several dishes. The “snacks” portion of our menu is a fun way to try different dishes, and are happy you made your way through the menu sharing a few things.

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy your cocktail, and that you felt the wait time was long. I assure you there is plenty of alcohol in our cocktails, but am sorry to hear it didn’t make you happy. I am hopeful that you alerted your server and were able to remove it from your bill. Should you return to Earth please do try our cocktails again; we really do have some wonderfully thoughtful concoctions! Please let me know if you are joining us, I would love to send the first round on us.