“Not as Dog Freindly as they used to be. Pet Policy has changed!!”
Review of Colony Hotel

Colony Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Reviewed 6 July 2010

The Colony has always been my only choice when traveling with my dog. I was told UPON CHECK-IN that the dog policy has changed. Dogs are no longer allowed to be poolside. You must now stay in a small grassy area near the pool. The problem without dogs also use this area so if it is full, you cannot use the pool. For the price this place charges, you should stay elsewhere. No AC or TV in the rooms and everything is over-priced. One of the few good things was the dog policy and that has now changed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 21 June 2010

The Colony is a classic example of old world charm, including some very small rooms without air conditioning. A perfect setting for a wedding (there was one during my stay), this is a great place for a weekend getaway. Be careful on what room you choose, however. The main inn has some very small rooms near the ballroom or pub without views or air conditioning. The outbuildings, I hear, are larger and more modern. Sound travels easily in the old inn. Know what you are getting or you'll feel that you paid a steep price for not very much. Can't beat overall feeling of a charming lost era, though.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2010

We loved this grand old hotel overlooking the Atlantic...only 1 sunny day out of 3, yet we still had a wonderful time.The staff was polite,attentive, and helpful, and the buffet breakfasts were surprisingly delicious ( unlike most buffet -styled breakfasts).Our room was large and lovely, with 3 bowed windows overlooking the ocean, and a king size bed with crisp linens...Our teens were happy staying in a room across the street with 2 doubles and a TV (the only hotel building where rooms had televisions) .If you are looking for an edgy,sophisticated, slick atmosphere with a singles night life, this is not the place....Instead, you'll find a relaxing, classic,genteel inn with great service, vintage porches, flowering gardens and unbeatable sweeping ocean views.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2010

We had a lovely two day stay recently at this Hotel, the staff were very welcoming, the Marine Lounge Bar staff were especially friendly and the food available there was very good. Extremely good buffet breakfast included in the price. The swimming pool was lovely, it was a shame some people didn't appreciate the fact that the Hotel was environmentally friendly and used a tremendous amount of towels that was unnecessary.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We have stayed at this hotel before and normally I give it 5 stars if the price is right. This time we got the last room, which was in the Galland House, and it was pretty bad. Tiny room, tiny bathroom, dated, tired, creaky and loud. I feel like this (ramshackle) building was probably used for staff in the past, but now it's used for overflow. In addition, the staff was congregating outside all night long socializing loudly. I have nothing against socializing but I wish they could have done it more privately, not out in the front parking lot. Not to mention that people were intimidated passing by the large group. Sorry, I don't like saying this! It is such a gorgeous location, breakfast is wonderful, grounds are to die for. Just a few tweaks please!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank masulliv
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I was at this hotel for a business retreat. We couldn't beat the wonderful weather we had, so of course my review is best because of that. Everyone greets you with a smile. The rooms are clean. I stayed in the main hotel. There is another building across the street that is modern and allows for a bit better of a sleep.

The only complaints I have are that you can hear anyone who walks down the hall or a dog barking in another room. The other complaint is the clock in the room. Need to have instructions to operate it. Three of us from our retreat had difficulties setting our alarms or realized the time was AM rather than PM, etc. Bring your own travel clock.

There are many places to relax...by the pool, on the porch, in your room, in the lobby, etc. You may buy beverages at their gift shop when it is open. Our room fee included a wonderful breakfast buffet. Part of the restaurant is a windowed porch...what a great place!

You can see the ocean from the back of the hotel.

Many restaurants are within walking distance. Very nice town.

Dogs are welcome. I didn't take my dog, but I think there was a $50 charge with no weight or size maximums. Labs, Weimaraner, terriers, Chihuahua, greyhounds were all seen.

The town tends to shut down at 10 p.m.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ArloBeagleMom
Reviewed 5 January 2010

My husband and I were lucky enough to get a room here last minute on our honeymoon when everything was booked solid. We happened to get the last room in the hotel which was huge and had an ocean view overlooking the pool. It was so charming and felt like we were going back in time to the 19th century. The room was clean and very comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and service was very good. We were sad we had to leave the next morning! I would highly recommend this hotel. It was elegant, charming and had beautiful views.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
1 mi away
1 mi away
King's Port Inn
King's Port Inn
#4 of 8 in Kennebunk

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!