“Walk to an island”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Walk to an island”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

Everything was great. The staff is wonderful and helpful. They said we could walk at low tide to a little island and we did. You can see the island from the window. I will never forget the sound of waves. We will be back. We visited during my school fall break.

Room Tip: Get a room with a ocean view and ride a bike around the area.
4 Thank runnerbob9
Greetings runnerbob9,

I'm happy to hear you were able to join us for a fun getaway during your school break. We are so fortunate to be in a location that allows our guests to enjoy a piece of Maine's natural beauty. Hikes to Timber Island are a guest favorite, so much so that we offer guided tours during the summer. I hope you are able to join us again for another Maine getaway!

eryn@tidesbeachclubmaine.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed here 2 nights Oct 14 and 15. and LOVED everything about the Tides. Location was excellent. Staff was friendly and helpful. Ate one night at Hidden Ponds and one night at Tides and both meals were excellent. Cant wait to come back in summer for some beach time. Rates were a little high, but worth it. Hopefully, rates aren't jacked up for a summer trip or maybe there will be some attractive packages.

3 Thank DF_Chicago
Greetings DF_Chicago,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your Fall visit at The Tides. I appreciate your kind words toward our staff and restaurant; everyone works so hard to ensure our guests have the best possible experience. I hope you are able to return during the summer and take advantage of our beach services!

San Juan Capistrano, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

My husband and I went to see the fall color and celebrate our 4th anniversary. Never have been to NE before. This is a quaint place with a nice restaurant and bar. The breakfasts in the morning are very good with a big selection. The hotel is pretty far from town, but they have a shuttle. The nice part of their location is that it is quiet. It is across the road from the beach and you can sit on the front porch with some wine and just watch the water. The rooms are cute and comfortable but a little small. The main room has a wonderful fireplace and many little places to just settle in and relax. Love love Kennebunkport. Amazing town.

2 Thank LynneCH
Greetings LynneCH,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for selecting The Tides for your first trip to Kennebunkport and anniversary celebration. The hotel is perfect for couples seeking to relax and enjoy one of Maine's most beautiful beaches. There are few greater things than enjoying a cocktail on the front porch and listening to the ocean. I hope to welcome you back to The Tides the next time you find yourself in Kennebunkport!

Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We were staying at Hidden Pond and took the shuttle to their sister property The Tides Beach Club to spend the day at the beach. I've never experienced so much confusion in my life. We were hungry so we decided to eat lunch in The Tides but it turned out their kitchen was not open yet but the bartender explained we could order food on the beach. That made me scratch my head. I can't order and eat food in the restaurant but I COULD order and eat food on the beach; from the SAME kitchen. Okayyyyyyyy ...

We were setup with chairs by the beach attendant who tells us he has to run in and get us menus. (Why didn't the bartender GIVE US the menus?!?) We waited and waited for the menus and a beach umbrella. After a half-hour of waiting we realized he was the ONLY beach attendant who was servicing all the guests of The Tide. I went in and got menus from the bartender and learned that some of the items on the menu were not available.

Long story short we ended up eating in the bar area when they finally opened and the food was quite good. We had wings, the chowder, french fries, burgers and the local oysters.

I feel I should add that this was shoulder season so I can understand the limited staff BUT there was so much misinformation it ruined our beach day.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EowynTravels
Eryn L, Front Office Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Greetings EownTravels,
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. Our beach tending service is a favorite among guests in the summer months. Come Fall, Maine’s unpredictable weather can make it a bit of a challenge to anticipate guests’ interest level in this service. During the shoulder season we offer our limited beach lunch menu to our house guests and guests of Hidden Pond on the beach and in our dining room. While I am happy to hear you enjoyed your meal with us, I sincerely apologize that the proper information was not communicated from the beginning. We pride ourselves upon the service we provide to our guests, so I am sorry that your experience was not indicative of this. The next time you find yourself in Goose Rocks Beach, I hope you'll try us again.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

For our 20th wedding anniversary my husband and I decided to visit Maine to eat our weight in lobster. Having no idea about Maine and knowing no one to tell us where to go, we researched the web and settled on Kennebunkport because Conde Nast or some similar publication hailed Hidden Pond and its sister property, The Tides Beach Club as the top two best places to stay in Maine. First, The Tides is an inn and in no way constitutes a hotel. There is no elevator, no true room service, no movie channels, no bathtub, no on site spa or exercise facility and no ice maker in the hallway. The Inn is charming with its white washed and blue beach theme and very clean but it makes for very close quarters with the other guests. We were charged for an "oceanfront" room but the inn isnt even on the ocean. It is across the street. We did get a direct view of the ocean as well as of the street and side parking. Before arriving I checked the website and saw that a rate for $279 was offered for a partial ocean view room. I called to change our room as I didnt feel the $340 I was charged was worth the "view." I was told that the morning manager would get back with me but he never did. The bed and pillows and linens were great. The air conditioning unit which clicks on and off every ten minutes was not great. We also did not enjoy hearing the water whoosh through the pipes when the other guests flushed their toilet. The neighbors yapping dog at 6 am was not good and the fact that the curtains did not cover the shades with the east morning sun made sleeping past 7:30 impossible. We ate fried clams, mussels and lobster rolls and the food was truly delicious...or maybe we were just starving. One afternoon we drove to Hidden Pond to see how "fabulous" it is (according to Martha Stewart) and were not impressed. It is a compound of quaint cottages in a gravel cul de sac. There is a pool, which isnt heated, and a spa where you can get a $2.20 a minute massage in a tree house. They also have a tiny work out room. Not at all worth the money. And it makes me very irritated to see that one reviewer was given and upgraded room and I was refused the same courtesy to down grade.

6 Thank jlh1220
Damien J, General Manager at The Tides Beach Club, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Greetings jlh1220,

Let me start off by thanking you for choosing us as the destination to celebrate your 20th wedding anniversary. We pride ourselves in the day to day services we offer all of our guests and do our best to take extra special care of those who choose to celebrate special occasions at our hotel. These special touches, such as the handwritten note and invitation to join us downstairs for complimentary cocktails to start your celebratory weekend, are what sets us apart from the larger, "box" hotels scattered throughout the region.
Built in 1899, our 3 floor hotel may not have an elevator but there is no arguing that we are in fact, an ocean front property. We are situated directly across the street (about 15 feet) from Goose Rocks Beach, one of the most beautiful white sand beaches in all of Maine. The Tides Beach Club oceanfront rooms boast unobstructed views of the Atlantic, Granite Point and Timber Island. Oceanfront corner rooms, such as the one you and your husband stayed in, additionally offer sweeping views of the northern stretch of Goose Rocks Beach. I feel awful that your request to change rooms or negotiate a different price never made it back to me as I would have been happy to discuss other options for the duration of your stay.
I am glad that you enjoyed your meals with us but am confused to your comments regarding our lack of "true room service". If a condensed menu offered only at limited hours constitutes "true room service" than we are in fact, lacking. Every food and beverage item offered in our dining room is available to guests in their rooms. We do not offer specific items for in-room dining, rather we offer all of our items for in-room dining; a feature we were happy to provide to you during your stay. If there were any specific issues with the quality of food or service during your in-room dining experience I will gladly look into them and see how we can exceed expectations in the future.
All 21 of our guest rooms offer double-lined black-out blinds that in conjunction with our decorative drapes provide nearly seamless blocking of the sun's morning rays.
Guests staying at The Tides Beach Club have the privilege of exclusive access to our sister property, Hidden Pond. Situated on 60+ acres of birch forest just a mile from our front door; guests can enjoy daily yoga, a state of the art fitness facility, one-of-a-kind treatments in our Tree Spa treatment rooms (located among the tree tops), the use of 2 heated swimming pools, 2 dining facilities, as well as nightly bonfires. Special activities and classes in mixology, pasta making, gardening and watercolor painting, among others are offered throughout the week to all guests of The Tides Beach Club. This long list of programming offered in addition to our on-site beach tending facilities (complimentary chaise lounges, tables, umbrellas, towels and beach side lunch for our guests) is what sets us apart from your typical New England inn. I am sorry you didn't have the chance to experience our property in the way we urge our guests to and do hope you will give us a second chance. I am happy to discuss specific concerns with you over the phone or in a more private forum at your convenience.

Damien Janowicz
Kennebunkport, ME 04046
Kiawah Island, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

this is a scam hotel... the rooms are tiny for 350 dollars.. view is to air conditioner.. there are no elevators....3 floors... the shower is bigger than the floor space... my cosmetics were on the floor... no drawers no closet ... one chair facing the bed thus to read with minimal light you must be in bed... it is a sham... the bar and food were good but to stay there is ridiculaous for the price... come to kiawah island with 10 mile beach in front and a five star for 350 to 400 per nite... I laughed at the signs for handicap for parking when there three flights without elevator... we took our outfit for the night out of the car .... instead of lugging luggage for our two week vacation... do not stay there .... look around as they were not even nice to us nor were they inviting... mrs sandy speno of kiawah isalnd south carolina...public beach is across the road... we just sat at chaises no one greeted us...

Room Tip: I guess a good room with ocean view and climbing stairs with luggabe is 600 plus...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank sandy685
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

I stayed for three nights in late September/ early October looking to enjoy the ocean during my vacation. The location of the hotel is fantastic - away from the downtown crowds and tucked into a residential area. The hotel was perfect - everything from the lobby, check-in, my room and the restaurant. I received an upgrade to the oceanfront suite (versus the regular oceanfront room I booked). It was amazing - the private balcony was a treat. I can't recommend this hotel enough - assuming you want an amazing and quiet location on the ocean.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Jenn2124
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Colony Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,571 reviews
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to The Tides Beach Club? Share your experiences!