“Kennebunkport Foodie Tour”

Maine Foodie Tours Kennebunkport
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Went with 3 friends on this tour, led by Wendy, who was terrific. There were a total of 8 of us in the group. I was probably the fussiest eater and I was prepared to not enjoy all the foods that were offered because of that. I was surprised at the portions (far larger than a "tasting") and happily tried things I wouldn't ordinarily taste. Not that these were exotic foods--just local treats like clam chowder and lobster. It was an interesting tour full of food and lots of facts about the town and what we were eating. Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Maine Foodie Tours Kennebunkport

Reviewed 3 June 2014

A friend and I decided to try this after seeing it on a list of things to do while visiting Maine and we are so glad we booked the tour. Kennebunkport is a wonderful town, friendly shop owners and great food. Our tour guide, Wendy, was excellent! She shared valuable information with us and the rest of our small tour group. The tour was about 3 hours, but went so fast! You walk in total about 1/2 mile around the town and stop at 7 different restaurants to sample Maine specialties. We had lobster, clam chowder, whoopie pie, artisan ice cream and sampled different fruit spreads and cheese. You also get discounts to use in the shops on the tour. In addition, we went to the brewery that makes Shipyard beer and sampled some of their homemade IPAs, draughts. It was such a fun experience. We got a great history lesson, great food and an overall wonderful day. Thanks Wendy!! - Danielle and Christine (NY)

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had Kathleen as our guide for the walking 'Foodie Tour' in Kennebunkport Maine. It took a couple hours or so with our small group and was approx.1 1/2 miles through town. Kathleen was fun and full of interesting tidbits about Kennebunkport and the vendors we visited. The owners shared valuable information about the foods we sampled. We started our tour at the General Store where we had numerous jellies. A favorite was Gran's Chowder House where Tony 'won me over' with his amazing lobster bisque! An added plus to Gran's is the owner is a artist and sells her creations in the store; another reviewer had said that but unfortunately I missed it! The Clam Shack was another stop on the tour where you have to try their lobster roll! At Rococo's we sampled some ice cream with the most flavorful and unique combinations ever; you'll see what I mean! We had some beer samples at Federal Jacks and a 'whoopie' pie at H. B. Provisions, you'll learn the story behind this huge treat! Thanks Kathleen, this was truly a memorable experience!

Reviewed 1 November 2013

The last time I visited Maine was 3 years ago, and I vividly remember wanting to return to Kennebunkport to spend more time there than we had the last visit. We decided that the culinary walking tour would be a great place to start. This tour turned out to be fantastic for food, fun, beer, and seeing the layout of the town. We had Wendy as our guide, and you can tell she loves what she does, and she is a fun person to spend time with. She really knows and loves all the personalities that make up this quaint town.

The food and drink we had were fabulous and filling! I'm sure the offerings change occasionally, but we had spreads and mustards at Gilbran's, the best "chowda" I've ever had at Gran's Chowder House, beer samples and a wonderful crab salad at Federal Jack's, fudge and root beer at KBC Gifts, wonderful blueberry coffee cake at Mornings in Paris, a huge whoopie pie at H.B. Provisions, and a sample of every flavor of ice cream in the case at Rococo's! I should mention that the owner of Gran's, Heather, is also an artist and sells her creations in the store. I am now the proud owner of one of her prints "Gulls Night Out"!

This tour was exactly what we needed to get a feel for this town, although I don't think I'll ever get tired of coming here. I'm looking forward to taking one of the other tours this company has to offer on my next visit!

1  Thank bloomingidiot
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We had taken the Savor Kennebunkport trolley tour last year (see my review on it) and would repeat that tour in a heartbeat when entertaining visitors, as it was outstanding. Due to schedule issues, this time we needed to book the Taste of the Port Culinary Walking Tour. I hoped it would be the great experience that the other tour was and indeed that was the case.

First, we had Wendy again as our guide. She is one fun, lively, and lovely lady! It’s clear she loves what she does, and the tone for a good time is set from the start.

Second – all of the food was great and filled us up quite nicely! Blueberry spread, pumpkin butter (to die for), and mustards. Three different beer samples, chips, and a delicious crab and havarti appetizer on toasted sourdough. Fudge and specialty soda samples. Blueberry coffee cake. Whoopie pie. Samples of every amazing flavor of artisanal ice cream in the case, then our own bowl of our preferred flavor. And our favorite – the chowder samples, which included the best lobster bisque and haddock chowder I’ve ever had. And we really enjoyed hearing Heather tell us about the history of chowder and other interesting tidbits. (Note: Normally, the tour includes a stop at the Clam Shack for lobster, but it had just closed for the season. So Wendy substituted some delectable cheeses on our tour. And the lack of crowds on our late-October tour more than offset the missing lobster treat).

I was surprised, considering how often I’ve been to Kennebunkport, at the number of places Wendy took us to that I had never visited or even been aware of. The lovely French bistro, Mornings in Paris. The general store in the 1865 building. And how had we missed Rococo’s Ice Cream? Most of all, we are grateful that Wendy led us to Gran’s Chowder House, which is tucked away a bit off the main street. We’ll be hitting it up on every future trip to Kennebunkport!

Thanks, Wendy, and thanks, Maine Foodie Tours, for giving us another great adventure. We had a blast!

9  Thank VOYJEAN