“Charming, a few caveats...”

The Cottages at Cabot Cove
Ranked #7 of 25 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2011

My wife and I spent Memorial Day weekend here and really enjoyed our stay. We were in Cottage number 9 which was rather small. It was advertised with a water view, but the view was of the edge of the cove and while we were there the cove was at low tide during the day, so mostly we had a mud view.

On the plus side, the bed was crazy-amazing comfortable. It was truly on par with the bed we just had at the Four Seasons in Chicago. We also loved the charming appearance of the grounds including lush landscaping. It was also very quiet and seemed to attract a more mature set, which we really liked. You get a reserved parking space which was nice too. The room was tiny, particularly the bedroom area (no nightstands, narrow space on either side of the bed, but I don't expect more from a cabin or cottage rental.

The only real criticism I have is that our Interaction with the staff was sort of touch-and-go and there were two incidents worth mentioning in all fairness.

The staff was absolutely friendly and we liked that. However when visited the office for restaurant recomendations (the guide book in the room said local menus were available in the office), the manager on duty wasn't very knowledgable and ended up Googling restaurants for us. We could have done as much on our iPad (they have free WiFi - another plus).

Finally, on Sunday, our housekeeper knocked on our door just after 10 am to ask if we wanted service. We said we would but asked how long housekeeping would be available. She told us until 1030. So, we scrambled to get dressed and we headed out for our bike ride earlier than planned. When we returned to the room after 100 pm, we were surprised to find it not made up. Worse, the housekeepers were still making up the cottages - so much for housekeeping not being available after 1030 am. In fairness, our room was made up while we sat out by the cove, but this was close to 2 pm. Again, had we not been told otherwise, we would have enjoyed a more leisurely morning and not rushed to get out of the room.

Overall, we would definitely recommend this place to friends. The prices were very good, the property was charming and well kept, and the staff for the most part was friendly, if not too helpful at times.

Room Tip: The cabins vary in size & character, be aware
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jamessU5243RO
cabotcovekport, General Manager at The Cottages at Cabot Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2011

Thank you for your honest review.
Cabot Cove does sit on a tidal inlet that flows with the daily tides which allows for a variety of views throughout the day and changes throughout the month.
We are sorry for the inconsistency of the time for housekeeping, we offer daily service from 10-2 and I apologize that this became an issue. We like leisurely mornings as well and are sorry you felt rushed.
Our cottages do vary in size and character, photos and square footage are available on our website. Up in the office we tend to be Google geeks for menus phone numbers and such.. We will continue building our hands on menu selection.
Thank you for recommending us. We greatly appreciate it! We hope to see you again soon!

Christy Reid

Reviewed 18 November 2010

In late October I stayed here in The Anchorage cottage for 4 nights and was absolutely charmed! I was in the area for business (I'm a wedding photographer and had a wedding to shoot) and was really excited to stay here for the majority of my trip. I was so excited to post pics here but alas I accidentally deleted most of them! I throughly enjoyed my stay here and look forward to visiting again in the future!

Pros:
+ Plenty of room in The Anchorage. 2 Bedrooms, 2 baths and a ton of living space!
+ The bathrooms were so adorable, I'm still smiling at the thought of the clawfoot tub!
+ The views from the dining area of the kitchen were amazing!
+ The breakfast each day was such a treat! SO good and it was fun to see what each day would bring.
+ The location is perfect - just enough off the beaten path to be quiet, but not too far from anything.
+ The staff was amazingly kind.

Cons:
- The Anchorage has room for 4 people but only room for 1 car which was kind of odd.
- Some of the couches and chairs had some odd looking stains which diminished the charm a smidge.
- There really needed to be a guide for how to use the heat. For the first 3 days I had no idea how to run it and in turn froze each night. I eventually figured it out but I still don't know that I would recommend staying here when it gets cold.
- To run the baseboard heat in the second bedroom, we had to move the headboards of the beds which were pressed up against the heater. We didn't trust running it with the baseboards against the cloth in case of fire.
- There were a few broken things that needed fixing including the french door's handle would come off when you tried to use the door and the fireplace would only stay on for 10 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2010

We spent a week in Maine with another couple, staying in Kennebunkport, Boothbay Harbor, Camden and Bar Harbor. Our first two nights were at The Cottages at Cabot Cove and the four of unanimously agree that this was the best part of our trip. My husband and I stayed in Ebb Tide - while it didn't have the charm of the other cottages (very funky and no bedside tables) we loved the location, friendliness of staff and other guests - a very unique adult camp feeling. Our friends stayed two doors up in Trellis which was adorable and had a better floor plan than Ebb Tide. The owners of Sea Mist which was in between our cottages were in residence and really added to our enjoyment - recommending restaurants, etc. They kindly let us see their cottage and it was our favorite - great layout for a small cottage. We also got to peak in Harbor Cottage which was fabulous - a bit pricier, but probably well worth it if it's available. Can't say enough about our wonderful 2 nights at Cabot Cove and would happily go back and spend the entire week there! It is truly the best of Maine - can't imagine a more perfect experience!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Spent three nights at Cabot Cove and enjoyed the peace and quiet. The cottages were very nicely decorated and cozy. The showers in the bathroom were small but not a major problem. Breakfast was delivered each day and it was nice to sit outside on the patio and enjoy it. My wife loved it so I think we'll be coming back next year.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brijjack
cabotcovekport, General Manager at The Cottages at Cabot Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2010

Thank you so much for your review! Great to hear you enjoyed your private patio!! Hope to see you and your wife Coveside again!

Reviewed 29 July 2010

I recentlty had the great pleasure to visit the Cottages at Cabot Cove for two (2) lovely nights. The decor of my Cottage was homey and elegant all at the same time. The lush gardens inspired me to paint again. The staff was not only helpful, but went the extra mile. I kayaked for the first time in years, a very peaceful experience. When Miles at the front office found that out, he graciously took photos of me to share with my daughters. The ability to cook on the premises,or walk to dining and shoppimng makes this spot hte perfect getaway for a couple or a single person. The perfect mix of home and vacation, while having all the activities of Kennebunkport within walking distance. What a treasure I have found.....can't wait to return

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank nasilva7
cabotcovekport, General Manager at The Cottages at Cabot Cove, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2010

Thank you very much for your kind words and personal review of your stay here at Cabot Cove!
We are happy to hear that you were inspired by our location to start painting again~fabulous!
The kayaks and row boats are a great addition for guests and I am glad that you had a chance to get back in one! We look forward to welcoming you back coveside soon (bring your daughters!!)

Reviewed 29 July 2010

Just arrived home after 3 beautiful nights at Cabot Cove . We stayed in cottage #11 Floating Inn & loved it . The bedroom was tight quarters ,but manageable . The view was wonderful even @ low tide . We chose a cottage with air conditioning wouldn't have stayed without one . I don't understand why all the cottages don't; have one especially for the price you pay . The gardens were beautiful truly relaxing & enjoyable spot . Breakfast bags were good . I agree with what others had written 8:30 is a little late for delivery time .7:30 would be much better

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear that you had a great time with us and enjoyed the property! In regards to the A/C, because of the unique nature of Cabot Cove all but three of our units offer it. Float In is a fabulous cottage and its great to hear that you enjoyed it:)
See you coveside soon!

Reviewed 28 July 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night in July. It was rather pricey for one night, but the cottages were very well decorated, comfortable (note, there is no air conditioning!) and the grounds were beautifully landscaped. Loved having our own private sitting area in the room and also just outside our door in the garden. Glad we did not pay extra for the "waterfront" as when the tide is out, it's little more then a mud pit. But when the tide was in, it was pretty.

The location is great, about a 10 min. walk into town. Far enough off the beaten path to be out of the craziness in town, but an easy walk into town. Although walking back at night can be a bit nerve wracking as the road is narrow and the sidewalks dissapear.

Wish I had known what a previous poster wrote, the we had access to the pool at a sister hotel. Would have been good information to know since it was so hot the weekend we were there. Also, I emailed the hotel a week before we visited looking for restaurant reccomendations and never heard back from them. Lastly, 8:30am breakfast feels so late! Would be wonderful if it could come earlier (7:30 or 8?).

But overall it was a wonderul experience, would go back but probably in the offseason when the rates are lower.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for your personal review on Cabot Cove! I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I would like to point out that there are two units without A/C but the majority of the cottages do have it. We were so happy to have you with us for your one night in Kennebunkport and I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in Maine and meandering back home. I am sorry that your email regarding restaurant suggestions was not received back to you, as I responded to it personally, if I had known I would have reviewed my suggestions with you on arrival:) We hope to welcome you back to the Cottages soon and again Thank you both so much for staying with us and I really enjoyed the brief conversations with you!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
#12 of 25 in Kennebunkport
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#14 of 25 in Kennebunkport

Been to The Cottages at Cabot Cove? Share your experiences!