We visited Kennebunkport for a quick mid-week getaway. Prior to booking our stay, we checked TripAdvisor for accommodations in Kennebunkport and the neighboring towns. One of our concerns was cancellation policy, because we are currently dealing with elder-care, and we were unsure if we would be called away. Before booking our stay, I talked to one of the innkeepers on the phone, and he assured me that “extenuating circumstances,” would be considered in relation to cancellation. He also made recommendations for rooms included in the special fundraiser that were suitable for a person with a moderate walking disability. Fortunately, we were able to enjoy our mini-getaway without being called away.
When we arrived, we were welcomed by a young woman who showed us around the first floor. The inn was immaculately kept, bright, and cheerful. The grounds were beautiful. The sun room beckoned us with comfy chairs, hot beverages, and yummy snacks. She showed us the alcove where we could always get ice, cold drinks, or coffee and tea at any time of day or night. It was chilly outside, so there were fires laid in both the dining room and living room fireplaces. The dining room was already set for the next morning's breakfast.
The Capt. Jefferds Inn offered a half-price room with a modest donation to Habitat for Humanity. Many innkeepers in Maine cut their rates by 50 percent in May 2014 to support “Hospitality for Habitat”, an annual Maine Innkeepers Association (MEIA) program designed to raise funds for Habitat for Humanity. We were given the Arundel Room, which stretched the entire width of the Inn on the second floor. We had a comfy king-sized bed with a wonderful hard mattress and smooth Pima cotton sheets. There were plenty of soft, fluffy towels. The room featured a gas fireplace, comfortable chairs, a small writing desk, a bookcase built into the wall, a jet tub, a small refrigerator (with bottled water), and nice touches like mint chocolates by the bedsides and bathrobes for each of us.
The Inn is within walking distance of everything at the Port. Even Kennebunk Beach is a moderate hike. Off-season is the best time of year to see Kennebunk and Kennebunkport, especially early in the morning. I would rise early and go out for my morning walk. All the trees are budding out at the end of April and flowers in the gardens are blooming. I could hear the seagulls squawk, the lobster boats leaving the harbor, and I had to share the beach with only a few surfers and a couple of other hardy souls. I could smell the brewing coffee and enticing morning kitchen smells from the local deli and coffee houses. I would get back in time to get cleaned up and join other guests for breakfast.
The staff thoughtfully accommodated our food allergies at breakfast. Each breakfast included beverages, fruit, freshly baked muffins, and a main course such as quiche or frittata.
We enjoyed having tea or coffee in the sun room after returning from our days’ adventures, snacking on some of the desserts, and just relaxing. We had some pleasant get-togethers with other guests in the same room before breakfast each day we were there.
The Innkeepers and their staff were very friendly and helpful. They seemed willing to cheerfully meet any guest’s needs. This inn deserves all the high ratings it receives.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Truly "Your Very Special Place." The Captain Jefferds Inn Bed & Breakfast in Kennebunkport, Maine is a warm and inviting 1804 sea captain’s home. From the time you enter through this Maine inn's red front door you will experience the charm, comfort and exceptional hospitality provided by these Kennebunkport innkeepers and their dedicated staff. At the Captain Jefferds Inn it's all about personal service and little touches to enhance your stay like free wireless internet access throughout the property and afternoon tea featuring a wonderful assortment of home baked goods and light hors d'oeuvres as well as fresh squeezed lemonade and iced tea in the summer months and hot mulled cider in the winter. We are pet friendly in 5 outside entrance rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo and Ebookers so you can book your Captain Jefferds Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Captain Jefferds Hotel Kennebunkport
- Captain Jefferds Inn Kennebunkport, Maine