“Loved the Green Heron Inn!”
Review of The Edgewater Inn

and 1 more site!
The Edgewater Inn
Ranked #14 of 26 Kennebunkport B&B and Inns
Latham, NY
“Loved the Green Heron Inn!”
Reviewed 23 July 2007

We loved our stay at the Green Heron Inn. Dan and Tony are wonderful hosts, showing obvious enjoyment in everything they do. I couldn’t wait to try our first breakfast – it turned out that every plate was so attractively arranged that we had to take pictures before we began eating. Everything tasted excellent – better than we expected, since we have both been around the proverbial culinary block. Tony makes everything from scratch, including baked goods. He demonstrated his mastery of omelettes, southwestern breakfast wraps, pancakes, french toast, panna cotta, scones, gingerbread, brownies, oatmeal raisin cookies, chocolate chip cookies and more. My friend and I are looking forward to the publication of Tony’s cookbook, which is slated for early Autumn 2007. We had a very nice room which had its own fireplace and good-sized bathroom. The Inn has many things within walking distance – the Bush Compound, public beach, and the shopping district in downtown as well. The common areas of the Inn were always immaculately clean, as well as the grounds. We loved the Adirondack chairs that we could relax in while looking at the inlet. We took advantage of the generous offer of refrigerator/freezer space and use of their free internet access. We were disappointed by the narrow parking spots, leaving us barely able to open our sedan’s doors – this was the only negative part of our stay! Another note: We were positively addicted to visiting Dannah, the fabulous jewelry store across the street from the Inn – she has a fabulous selection which suits every taste and every budget.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Parking spots
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New Jersey
Reviewed 20 July 2007

We stayed over the 4th of July at the SUPER-CLEAN and QUIET Green Heron Inn. Hosts Dan and Tony are very nice and helpful.

Tony's breakfasts and afternoon snacks are AMAZING! One morning for breakfast Tony made pancakes with candied pecans on top, REAL maple syrup, and maple butter on top. The pancakes were so amazingly light and fluffy because he used ricotta cheese inside...who knew! Yum, yum, yum. Tony's freshly-baked afternoon treats consisted of pastries, cookies, and brownies. Again, so wonderful, we had to wait to have dinner.

The LOCATION is GREAT. It backs up to an inlet. You're right near the beach (2 min walk) and around the corner from prestigious homes, including the Bush compound, so you know the Green Heron is in a great location. There are restaurants/shops next door and across the street. It's only a 20-minute walk to Kennebunkport's Dock Square/downtown area.

To sum it up, if you're looking for a SUPER CLEAN and QUIET inn, with EXCELLENT breakfast snacks in a GREAT LOCATION, the Green Heron Inn is the place for you! :)

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed July 2007
2 Thank luvtakintrips
Schenectady, New York
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I have been vacationing in the Kennebunkport area nearly every summer for most of my 48 years.
Started out as a toddler, when my parents first began renting beach houses for a week or two in Biddeford Pool/Fortunes Rocks (and one VERY cold and ROCKY BEACHED week, in Owl's Head, remembered only for LEAVING EARLY! I think I was only 5 or so at the time!).
I must say this was THE best place I have ever stayed in the area, and the breakfasts ARE indeed awesome! And the best part for me is that every day, no matter what, a fruit breakfast is featured! (MY FAVORITE!)
I went with my friend Peggy (I had originally scheduled this for myself, but when she mentioned she wanted to go, I said "No Problem"!), and despite that we had to run from the village back to the Inn to escape a thunder/lightening storm on Sunday, that was the ONLY dim moment of the whole trip.
We even checked in on Friday the 13th, and it was anything but unlucky! (Although when we checked out on the 16th, luck was NOT with us, and 4 bottles of Shipyard Export went crashing to the middle of the sidewalk out of the bottom of the carrier! After all the rain/humidity, must be the glue just could not hold any longer!)
Wish we could have stayed MUCH longer, and definitely plan on a return trip!!!
Hurray for Dan and Tony!!!! Plan on coming back again!

• Liked — The wonderful breakfasts!!!! We even took pictures!
  • Disliked — That we had to leave!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank MAH-from-NY
Norfolk U.K.
Reviewed 14 June 2007

Kennebunkport would not hold the same enchantment for us if we did not have the Green Heron Inn to go to for our stay. Dan and Tony the innkeepers always give a warm welcome to their guests. The rooms are very homely and very comfortable but the biggest surprise for us was the excellent breakfast. The food is of a very high standard and home cooked, even the snacks and nibbles which are put out for the guests during the day are home-baked. The proof of the excellence of the Green Heron is that many of their guests return again and again knowing that the service will always be first class.

• Liked — Clean, comfortable and homely
  • Disliked — Their was nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2007

My husband booked a long weekend at the Green Heron Inn for our one-year wedding anniversary, and we had such a wonderful time!! Dan and Tony, the innkeepers, were so warm and welcoming (which was so nice for us, because we've only had one prior experience at a B&B, also in Kennebunkport, which was a much more impersonal experience). They made us feel right at home at their charming inn and were gracious in answering any questions we had, but were also very respectful of our privacy (which we had sometimes worried about with the whole B&B concept - at least before finding the Green Heron Inn!).

I loved our room - it was charming, clean and comfortable (the whole inn was that way), but all without a stuffy feel. We had a great little deck with a cast iron table and two chairs, as well as access to their lawn and chairs, which both have the beautiful view of the inlet and little bridge. We got to sit together and just take in the surroundings, watching the various types of birds frolicking in and around the inlet and with the sun and breeze on our faces. It's hard to put words to that type of experience, but it was so wonderful and relaxing.

The breakfasts, made by Tony, were oh-so-yummy. We had these awesome, melt-in-your-mouth biscuits with maple and/or brown sugar....Those were soooo good, I could have had 5! And the pumpkin pancakes were out of this world! Each afternoon, they had fresh baked goodies available for the guests - including an awesome banana cake with vanilla frosting, macaroons and all sorts of soft, warm cookies, as well as tea and coffee, which were pretty much always available! Yummy!

The breakfast/dining room also has a whole wall of windows, overlooking the inlet view, which we totally took advantage of at each breakfast sitting.

The inn itself is within walking distance to the ocean and also to all the shops in town. It is in a great location, and everything around us was just so beautiful!

Dan and Tony took time to talk with us and answer all our questions about the types of birds, the history of the inn, and restaurants in the area. They are both very sweet and excellent hosts, and just made us feel so comfortable and welcome at the Green Heron Inn and in Kennebunkport.

I almost forgot! - My husband and I had forgotten to empty a whole drawer of our belongings, and didn't realize until we arrived at our home (almost 3 hrs away)! My husband called the Green Heron right away (was a Saturday evening) and Dan answered and checked the drawer in the room as they were talking and assured us that he would ship our items promptly, which he did! They arrived within the next couple of days, and we felt so silly and embarrassed for leaving our things, but Dan and Tony were so helpful and understanding of the whole situation. That was so, so nice of them.

We will definitely, without a doubt, be staying at the Green Heron Inn again, and I can't wait 'til our next visit!!!

Stayed May 2007
3 Thank HeLeadethMe
Lambertville, NJ
Reviewed 27 May 2007

We’ve joyfully stayed at the Green Heron Inn twice a year over the past several years, Having just returned home from four nights here last week, I am constantly delighted with each new experience. As a business consultant who travels all over the US and internationally, I so welcome the opportunity to travel by car for a change to relax and enjoy a casual, friendly environment.

I continue to be amazed by the number of shop owners throughout Kennebunkport who ask where we are staying and then express their wish that they, too, could still have a delicious breakfast at the Inn. Breakfast is now open only to guests instead of to the general public, so we as guests are always the top priority. I feel so privileged to enjoy Creme Brulee French Toast with raspberry sauce (best breakfast I've EVER eaten), excellent blueberry pancakes, and lots of other delicious, creative breakfast specials. The homemade snacks, lemonade, and other delectables always draw us back to the dining room late afternoon to savor the newest special treat for guests.

Dan and Tony, the owners, are friendly and welcoming. They make each breakfast at our own table for two a wonderful way to start the day. They are fun, sensitive to needs, dog friendly, customer service oriented, and a joy to be around while on vacation. No request or need is ever a problem. We enjoy the view outside of watching the friendly hummingbirds dash around the many feeders and seeing the green heron land on the pond as we enjoy our breakfast each morning.

While the Inn is simple in its décor, it is most welcoming and my favorite home away from home. The Green Heron is conveniently located for lovely walks and also provides easy two-minute access to town for lunch, a stroll, browsing, or serious shopping, while always ensuring total peace and tranquility upon our return. If you don’t stop here, you’ve missed a very special experience as part of your vacation. We are already eager to return!

• Stayed May 2007
2 Thank AandBC
New Hampshire
Reviewed 25 May 2007

We just returned from our third stay at the Green Heron Inn, for our second wedding anniversary. Our first stay was on our honeymoon. It is like going home to long lost relatives, truly, if I could move in and let Dan and Tony take care of me, I'd pack my bags today. There is something unique in the atmosphere at The Green Heron. The innkeepers have the most genuine and subtle way of communicating to their guests that they really and truly care about you and they really and truly consider you a part of their family, yet in a way that is not obtrusive, nor gratuitous. The Inn is casual yet utterly refined in its simplicity. The breakfasts (which are included) will have your mouth in culinary heaven, losing touch with reality through the courses. Tony's dishes become half the reason you'll come back again and again! Not to mention the treats that await you throughout the day, that you cannot help but take on your way out to walk along the ocean, a napkin with a few fresh baked cookies perfectly prepared. We took my parents to the Green Heron Inn a year ago, and this year they chose to go for their 50th wedding anniversary! If you are looking for an Inn in Kennebunkport ME, that is casual, private, immaculate, caring and a place you can call home, I sincerely recommend The Green Heron. I know for myself and my husband, it will always be our first choice.

• Liked — The breakfasts!!!
  • Disliked — There wasn't anything I didn't like!
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Grand Hotel
#11 of 26 in Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
Kennebunkport Inn
#5 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to The Edgewater Inn? Share your experiences!