“Relaxing get-away found!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Warwick, RI
“Relaxing get-away found!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

My friend and I were looking for a relaxing get-away and we found it at the Nonantum. The room rates are very competitive (actually beat our other choice by $125/night). The staff is extremely accommodating, even allowing us into the dining room after hours so I could beat my friend in cribbage. The grounds are ideal, I recommend enjoying a glass of wine by the water in the evening and a corny game of croquet in the afternoon (I have not played that game since I was a kid). Now, could you stay at a more modern hotel? Sure you could, but you'd be missing out on the simple comfort found here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

We (family of 5) stayed at the resort for five nights. It was absolutely wonderful. Our room in the Portside Lodge (which I would recommend) was beautiful. We stayed on the first floor and it was great because our five yr. old could just run out onto the lawn and play. During our stay, there were so many activities: kayak race, homemade ice cream, music on the lawn, kids activities all day long, s'mores by the fire, etc. The breakfast is absolutely amazing. It was all homemade and a variety everyday. The staff was so nice, even gave us a cot at no charge for our youngest to sleep on. The location is great; easy access to anything you'd want to do in Kennebunkport.

If I had to complain about anything, the only request would be that housekeeping do a better job. The bathroom smelled when we checked in and continued to smell throughout our stay. But, that is my only complaint. I would highly recommend this place!!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband and I enjoyed a mini vacation within a family vacation at the Nonantum. We stayed in a portside room on the ground floor. The view was fantastic, the room was clean & comfy. The bed linens fluffy and the service was better than expected. The employees were sincerely helpful and friendly and the gardens and lawns beautiful. I can't say enough good things about the resort. If I were to request one change, it would be for a more elegant & luxurious bath! But still, I managed a relaxing soak in the one provided !

• Stayed July 2011
buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

The people here are genuinely nice, happy, chatty, informative, and really care that you are comfortable and enjoying yourself. They are helpful, anticipate needs, and seem to genuinely enjoy their job. I stayed with a friend for a weekend getaway. We booked a small room. No need to pay more. I thought the price was fair for what we received. It is an exclusive resort town, so prices are what you would expect.
It was wonderful to have services on site... the kayaks, the sailing excursions. many things to do for children (although this was not a family visit), and the staff told about all the best places to eat, which places received the buzz but maybe weren't the best, where to go for happy hour drinks... etc ... and they were RIGHT about it all!
Had a lovely time. My first time to Maine. I loved the town, and would come back anytime I could manage it. I enjoyed the location. One direction, a short walk to Colony Beach. Other direction, a short walk to town shoppes (with the fantastic Wharf Rest. a long the way for patio drinks, full dinner, or lunches.)
The internet was sketchy at best.
The front porch offered comfortable rockers to bring your drinks out and enjoy a warm summer breeze.
Sigh. Click my shoes three times and say "there's no place like Kennebuckport..... there's no place like Kennebuckport, there's no place better to stay than the Nonantum"

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Reading, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We have 4 children, ages 5-9 and have been staying at the Nonantum for over 5 years. Our oldest child has many food allergies, so we contacted the hotel staff in advance this year to see if we would be able to dine in the restaurant. The staff was unbelievable in making sure our son's needs were met and our dinner was a wonderfu experience. One we will remember for many years to come.

There are always great activities for the kids when we visit! The staff organizes fun games while the kids take breaks from swimming. There are also options of kayaking and boating. There is never a lack of things to do for our family at the Nonantum and it's a very short walk into town. We look forward to many more years of visits!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Rhinebeck, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

We stayed during the week before 4th of July and it was delightful. The customer service at the Resort is Ritz quality. We stayed in the Carriage House with a family suite which was perfect for our family. The morning breakfast buffet is fabulous and has something for everyone to enjoy-including an omelet station on the weekends. One of the best parts of the vacation for us was Henry's Kid's Club. My husband and I could eat a leisurely breakfast while watching our daughter at the Kid's Club on the lawn beginning at 9am each morning. The staff is very professional and careful watchers of the children. We took a lobster boat tour on the Rugosa and the crew was very able and informative. We had only two issues while there--our room didn't have curtains that covered the windows completely in the bedroom and bathroom and someone above us overflowed the tub producing a leak above our shower wetting the tiles. The staff responded so quickly to these issues it was amazing. I have stayed at 5 star expensive resorts who wouldn't have addressed these types of issues this quickly. I would agree with one other reviewer that the mattress needs upgrading otherwise everything else was perfect. The grounds are impeccable and the location so convenient to all of the beaches. We also ate dinner in 95 Ocean and was very impressed with the quality. We met the GM, Tina, at the cocktail party--don't miss this by the way--and she is top notch. If you must work while there cell service is often iffy--

Room Tip: The Portside rooms have refrigerators and the family suites there have their own deck area if that i...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

We stayed for a long 4th of July weekend with family at the Nonantum Resort. The reason we chose this resort was because of the many kids' activities it advertised, and I have to say that although the older building of the resort had some issues (employee-only-operated elevator, broken Wifi connection, no refrigerators in the rooms, furniture needs to be modernized), the kids' activities were wonderful. Each day, even the weekend days and the holiday itself, there were planned and staff-supervised activities. Anything from story time at breakfast with Henry the Harbor Seal (also a photo op and opportunity for the kids to make a picture frame), to the morning craft corner, to the Wednesday morning kids' camp. This camp allowed parents to drop off the kids to the trained staff members, where the kids made crafts, learned about marine animals, had a short walk to the beach for shell hunting, went crabbing off the docks, had a snack, and were given a Henry the Harbor Seal t-shirt. There was also an ice cream-making party for the kids so they could be supervised during a social for the grown ups. A not about Henry the Harbor seal...my kids are generally afraid of costumed characters and run from them...but they absolutely loved Henry and asked to seem him the whole trip.

The Nonantum also has very friendly staff who are knowledgeable of the area, wonderful free breakfast buffets everyday, and beautiful grounds. I just wish they would modernize the original building...the smaller but newer building is much nicer, more comfortable, and has all the amenities you would expect from a hotel; whereas the original building has more of a B&B feel. Also, the advertised "free wifi" was not working and they couldn't get it fixed while we were there, and the computers for guest use in the new building had very slow connections. But for the kids' activities, we will absolutely return to this resort...we'll just stay in the new building next time.

Room Tip: ask for the new building
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Colony Hotel
#14 of 26 in Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
Kennebunkport Inn
#5 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!