“Amazing - Relaxing - Beautiful - Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nonantum Resort

Nonantum Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, IL
“Amazing - Relaxing - Beautiful - Charming”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

I travel a few times a year and The Nonantum Resort in Kennebunkport has to be one of the cleanest and relaxing places on earth...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

We had booked a suite to accommodate ourselves and our sughter for a weddind that we were attendimg in Kennebunkport. For over $300 per night, the room's eclectic furnishings looked like they had been picked up at a yard sale, the bed linens were horrible, the view was of a roof top, the A/C units were loud and the pull out sofa bed had springs sprouting out of the mattress. We had the bring in a rollaway which had a dip in the middle of it.
We did like the bathroom and the included breakfast though.
I heard that there were nicer accomidations in the annex building. We were in the main one which felt like a firetrap.

2 Thank FFS
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

We were awakened at 7:00 by noise all around us. You could literally hear the conversations in the rooms next to us. They were up early heading out that day. We thought we could go back to sleep after they left but that's when the noise above started. You can literally hear every foot step in the room above us. We have stayed in 6 hotels this trip and this one was by far the worst and the most expensive. For the price, over $400. Per night, we expected somewhat premium accommodations but what we got was more like a cheap motel. We will not go back.

Room Tip: Very noisy from rooms next to us. Very thin walls.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank BlueskyMarsha
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

Old fashion place beautifully designed and clean. Cable TV and A/C. Great comp breakfast in the morning. Small bar and it closes at 10:30p, make your own decision if that's good or bad. Very helpful staff. Rooms face the rear which is the water with sailing cruises and beautiful lawn with adirondack chairs. In a great area. No I don't work there. But I thought they deserved this review. Very fair price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IndyTraveler46236
Westborough, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2011

The reviews on TA for the Nonantum were superb people loved it. Having relied heavily in the past on TA for hotel recommendations and always finding the reviewers to be right on I had no worries when I book the Nonantum that it would exceed my expectations. Well, there is a first time for everything.

The Nanantum is OLD really really OLD and it has not been updated in a fashion that suits what the resort once was. We have stayed at old resorts before The Mt. Washington and the Wentworth by the Sea, so I like old and I know that old can be beautiful, but this resort does not accomplish the fine balance that others have.

We booked a family suite in the newer part of the hotel, which is a separate building next to the main hotel/carriage house as it is referred to. The lobby of this separte building was nice it had a k cup machine and a nice sitting area for guests. The rooms however, are a little bit above a Red Roof Inn. The furniture is worn, the carpets were worn, the bathrooms were adequate, but nothing special. I was not happy with the suite we were given as the full bathroom was off of the sitting area with pull out beds. So if my husband and I wanted to shower after our young kids were in bed or before they got up we couldn't do it without waking them up. I went to the front desk to see if we could be switched to a different room, and there was only one other option which was in the Carriage house I took a look at the two adjoining rooms and then felt lucky that we were where we were. The rooms in the carriage house are beyond tiny. There is no Air Conditioning in the halls of the carriage house and only old AC units in the rooms. The rooms were the size of a King bed with a queen bed in that space. Totally claustophobic. The staff was very nice and tried to accommodate my request, but they just couldn't.

The grounds are pretty, the landscaping is very nice. But you need to know you are NOT on the ocean at this resort , the aerial picture on their website is deceiving, you are on the Kennebunk River which leads to the ocean. So when it is low tide there is barely any water to look at.

They had a cute kids club where my daughter did a craft one morning and the college age staff was lovely. The pool is way too small for the size of the resort and there are only a few chairs and a few umbrellas. It is also way too deep for little kids. Although it says that it is 3 feet at one end it was not. My daughter is 43 inches and it was over her head.

There were not enough dining options for a resort this size either. During the day for lunch there was only the pool grill which has only about 8-10 choices on it. There is no room service during the day either, although when I asked about room service when making the reservation I was told it was a 24 hour resort.

The highlight of the resort is the included breakfast this exceeded our expectations. It was fantastic. It was a full buffet with an omlette statiion and great choices. The dining room is lovely and the little bars in the old part of the hotel are very nice as well. There was a wedding going on during our stay on Saturday night set up in a big tent on their lawn. It looked very pretty and the details that the hotel executed, like lanterns throughout the lawn looked very nice.

The resort does not do a good job of communicating things with the guests. The resort guide in the leather binder in the room was useless. It was full of advertisements from local businesses and did not have helpful info. It was very tacky with all the ads. No where that I could find did it talk about where to get breakfast, that it was included or the times of breakfast. We had to call the front desk for this info.

There are good things about this resort, but honestly I don't think it is all it could be. It has great potential, but fell short in many areas.

2 Thank sullymom4
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

My husband and I spent July 2nd-8th at The Nonantum and could not say anything but excellent things about the room, food, staff, entertainment, activities, and memories we made relaxing by the water. breakfast was amazing with lots of variety every morning. The pool is clean and we enjoyed poolside lobster rolls and cocktails in the afternoon. The sailing and lobsterboat cruises were so much fun and easy to arrange at the hotel reception desk. We had an excellent view of boats coming and going into the river from the Atlantic-it was so relaxing and beautiful. The local restaurants were excellent and we just about "overdosed" on lobster the week we were there ;-)
We visited three different beaches within ten minutes of the resort and walked to town every day for shopping, dining, horse drawn carriage tour etc. Everyone from the busboys to the hotel management was friendly, and seemed to have fun at their job and made every effort to ensure the guests were well taken care of. This was an amazing vacation spot and we plan to visit the Nonantum again!

• Stayed July 2011
Warwick, RI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2011

My friend and I were looking for a relaxing get-away and we found it at the Nonantum. The room rates are very competitive (actually beat our other choice by $125/night). The staff is extremely accommodating, even allowing us into the dining room after hours so I could beat my friend in cribbage. The grounds are ideal, I recommend enjoying a glass of wine by the water in the evening and a corny game of croquet in the afternoon (I have not played that game since I was a kid). Now, could you stay at a more modern hotel? Sure you could, but you'd be missing out on the simple comfort found here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Colony Hotel
#14 of 26 in Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
Kennebunkport Inn
#6 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!