“WONDERFUL!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Gilmer, Texas
“WONDERFUL!!”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

We just stayed at the Nonantum for two nights and checked out this morning. The service here is fabulous, everyone was courteous and lovely to talk to! Our room in the Carriage House was very nice and we had a great view looking out over the pool and river. An easy walk into town. My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. We would stay here again in a heartbeat and we will recommend it to anyone we know coming to Kennebunkport. Very affordable and you really get service that exceeds the price of the room.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (583)
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I absolutely LOVE the Nonantum. My boyfriend first took me here for a 2 night stay August 2010. We LOVED our stay and our 2 night stay turned into 3! We visited again in November 2010 for a 2 night stay which, again, turned into 3! It was their off season then so we got a taste of a more "quiet" Nonantum. The off season is pleasant! It is a lot more relaxing, some of the shops in town are still open and the rooms are cozier with a bit of heat instead of the summer's AC. When planning our August 2011 week vacation to Maine, booking the Nonantum for part of our stay was not even a question because we love it there. In February of 2011, and with help of the front desk manager, our 3 night stay package of "Lobsters Alive" was booked for August!

When we checked into the Nonantum that day, we were both like gitty school children who were excited to be on vacation. Our package (i think was about $800) included a water view room with a queen sized bed (we had a specific room we liked from staying there previously and were able to book it, thankfully.), a dinner for two at 95 Ocean, a ride on the Rugosa (the Nonantum's own lobster boat), a private chef demo, and a booklet of resort discounts. Due to our prior plans (that we honestly tried to change but the lighthouse cruise we were going on was full the other days that were in service) we could not attend the chef demo which i was really bummed out about. (If you have read my previous review, I am a cook with a culinary degree therefore, it is nice to talk with other chefs and get their take on the culinary world) I was really hoping the Nonantum would try to reschedule another time which was not possible, or have offered us something in place of that since it was part of the package, but nothing was offered to us. I mean really, would you go on vacation and expect to be told to have to do something on a certain day? No, it's your vacation and you can choose your own plans. I did not like that the chef demo was pre-scheduled without any prior notice to us.

The Rugosa is a very nicely renovated lobster boat that we were lucky enough to be able to board as part of our package. They do limit the amount of passengers, but it is not limited to age. On our trip out that day, there was another couple, a few years older than my boyfriend and I, who did not seem to be enjoying this excursion either. The trip we went on also had 2 families who were friends so their kids were friends and there were about 5 or 6 8-year old girls or younger just running around the boat and being loud and very obnoxious while their parents really didn't give a S**T. I was extremely annoyed by this. Since when does my vacation have to be less enjoyable because of lazy parents who don't want to control their kids? Is this the Nonantums' fault? No, not at all, it's the parents. HOWEVER, I am suggesting that they either 1) set an age limit on SOME of the trips for those couples who would like to enjoy the Rugosa or 2) have more strict on board rules and regulations. There was another family of 4 who sat near us whose kids were angels and were also trying to see the lobsters, but the herd of girls were not letting them have a turn at all. I honestly felt bad for kids who didn't get to have a turn.

The breakfasts have been something that we specifically think about when booking the Nonantum because they are delicious and a great value. This year, the breakfasts were almost the same every day and repetitive. Last year there were more creative options like churro french toast and pre-made for you sausage egg and cheese biscuits. This year was scrambled eggs, burnt bacon, sausage (really yuck!), and scalloped potatoes which were good, but not for 4 days straight. I found myself missing the variety and the wonder. It brought me down a little.

Our room was great and our housekeeper (Yvette) was wonderful! I had no issues with room #103. When we had to "emergency" check into the Nonantum for hurricane Irene we were booked in room #202 which was a train wreck of a room. Mold on the air conditioner vent (like the air you breathe in!!!), mildew on the shower tile,and a saggy, creaky bed. This room was awful, absolutely awful! I would not pay them if having to stay in that room again. Again, a let down.

Would I stay here again? I am sure by this review it looks like I should say no... but this resort DOES have its nice parts. I love it there in the off season. We have weeded out the good rooms from the bad rooms and now know where we want to stay.

I think that the Nonatum is wonderful for families. I have nothing against kids at all, I just hope that families who stay here, learn to control their kids more and have some respect of other hotel guests. We are paying too you know! I think the Nonantum should also cater to couples more. For example, they offer family time by the camp fire with smores and story time. Maybe something for couples, like drinks by the fire or hot chocolate by the fire? Maybe adult only sailing trips or adult only lobster boat trips? These are some suggestions to keep the peace in a way...

I do really love it here and I would still want to stay here each time I go to Kennebunkport, but the changes that they have made, are not the greatest ones. I think they need to balance their activities more and take a look at their guests' wants.

1 Thank tastytidbits
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We stayed at the Nonantum Resort for three days and had to extend our day two more days due to an emergency surgery I had.
Our room was in the main hotel. The room was very small and had a queen size bed.
It had no bacony. The Hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. The Buffett breakfast was very good. My only complaint was the room size and the bed was very uncomfortable. I would only book a room in the new section with a bacony for any future stay.. For us the bed and room was too small to be comfortable.
Also since we had to extend our stay due to a emergency I thought a discount in the room would have been nice. We were charge more than our previous three days.

Lowell, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 August 2011

Upon finally deciding to put a review up for this resort, especially after returning from it on my girlfriend and I's vacation in Maine, I now can give proabably the most honest review you will find of it since we have done alot of things they offer at the resort and have stayed here 4 times over the last 2 years. I will start off by saying this... the nonantum excells at many things and will provide you and your family with great memories, if you happen to be traveling with a family, a sense of old world resort charm, (secretly I would prefer all the ugly vinyl siding to be torn off to add to it, but im sure it isnt economical), a wonderful fine dining expierience at 95 Ocean, chances for nice seaside excursions like kayaking on the kennebec river, to boarding a restored lobster boat from the 1960's to steam out to assorted lobster pots for a fresh catch of lobster and to see how its done, to boarding a wonderful schooner, the pineapple catch, to venture out into a age of sailing and relax out on the ocean and become one with its wonders, to a beautiful heated pool to either swim or enjoy a drink on the patio basking in the sun. Or of course, the wonderful views near the mouth of the kennebec river of the boats and the distant sounds of the Atlantic surf crashing on the beach during a high tide, invoking inner peace and a feeling of happiness that is hard to be matched. Of course, no place on earth is perfect and no one should expect a place to be, so the Nonantum has its flaws, but if you love kennebunkport and the ocean and are looking for a nice place for your family, and to keep your kids busy while you get a chance to relax from them, cause you know you want to lol, you should be happy with the nonantum.
You may get the impression that the nonantum caters to families more then your everyday couple on vacation who looks to get away from it all and you would be right about that. Its not to say that two lovebirds on vacation cant enjoy the nonantum (me and the girlfriend included) but there is a distinct feeling of families around. Now, this can be a double edged sword, has families and their kids can be annoying here, especially in the pool and especially with parents who dont care what their kids are doing or who they are annoying. The lobster boat tour is defenitely for the children, has we both got a whiff with 6 kids rushing around the boat screaming about a lobster in your ear. Which was quite annoying, if we ever do the lobster boat again, we will try to avoid kids. This is not a strike on the nonatum in any way, but it should be noted of what you will encounter here in season.
Another nice things about the nonantum is their daily activites they plan at certain times from a chef demo, to family smores night by a campfire, to morning yoga or a walk. It should be noted certain activites have extra fees though not related to your stay, which can be dissapointing to people on a budget. The lobby is beautiful and has that sense of old world charm, with beautiful woodwork, and acoustic music playing or at times, a piano man tickiling the ivorys. You will find yourself wanting to just sit and relax in the lobby at times watching the hustle and bustle of the resort or maybe listening to your ipod or reading a book.
The staff is very friendly and happy. I can honestly say I have never encountered a overly rude person here in two years. The staff is very willing to help you and are always smiling which is nice.
Now, the buffet breakfast... you get it included every morning with your stay. Has I have said we have come back here 2 years running, and the breakfast this summer, wasnt has good has last, weather it be the options or the taste. Last year, it was exciting every morning cause there was always different options, but this year the 4 breakfasts where basically the same every morning. We actually found ourself getting bored with it and were shocked we felt that way, since the breakfast is one of the main draws of the nonantum. I of course,am not saying that the food is bad or not worth coming down in the morning for, but it isnt what it was last year. You may want to check out the maine diner down the road on route 1 one of the morning you are there to breakup the scrambled eggs and overly dry bacon routine. Or for any meal it is worth it.
Has I said the views from here are wonderful, and you can see why many weddings and fuctions are here. It is a beautiful place for a wedding. However, it can be a pain staying here with a wedding going on, has the nonatum is taken over by the entire wedding party and you are kinda pushed to the side. I can say that this is a strike against the nonatum, has we have felt on one occassion when we were here during a wedding where we couldnt check into a room we wanted. Has paying returning guests, I feel the hotel should do what it can to please returning customers, instead of worrying about some familys wedding from new york or some far off state, who will proabably never return to the nonantum. It kinda felt like a slap in the face and I was somewhat angry, but I didn't pull out the anger card at the reception desk.
Another strike against the nonantum is not all rooms are created equal. We have stayed in both building here and know what they are like. the rooms in the 100's (first floor)in the main buillding are very much better then the rooms above them in the 200's at least from what we have expierienced. The rooms on the first floor have the small patio and screen doors with easy access to the river and pool with the ability to go back in from the pool eithout having to worry about having to walk through the building all soaked or uncomfortable. On our most recent trip last week, we got room 105 and it was beautiful, a very comfortable bed and quiet air conditioner, wonderful hardwood flooring. We decided to stay in kennebunkport during hurrican irene so we checked back in for sunday night here and got room 203 on the second floor. Needless to say it wasnt the best. The air conditioner was on its way out and very noisy. It sounded like we were in a small engine room almost, and the bed was to put it nicely...very awful. Very sagging and the box spring needed replacing. We encountered mildew in the bathtub, and the worst thing of all, mold all over the a/c opening where the air comes out, which is very unacceptable. The carpeting was marginal at best. Things like this should NOT be encountered in any way. I think more attention should be payed to things like this, staying here isnt exacly cheap and 3 hours of sleep isnt what you pay for.
The last thing we encountered that was not acceptable in our eyes was part of the lobsters alive package we did on our vacation last week, which included a personal chef demo about boiling lobsters. Upon check in we were told about everything that encompassed the package and that the chef demo was wenesday at 11 a.m. We could not attend this demo at that time because of a wood island lighthouse tour at 1030 that day which could not be moved. Apparently the chef had no other time the entire week for the demo so we couldnt go to it. I inquired about possible kayaking or bike rental to make up for the fact that we could do the demo that was part of the package, and were denied completely. Im sure that every paying guest would have been angry. 799.00 gets u the package of a lobster tour a dinner at 95 ocean lodging a coupon book and the demo, and they didnt offer anything to make up for it which was surprising. I thought that was kinda low for such a highly esteemed resort to not make up for the demo not happenning. Again, paying guests not taken care of..
I think it also would be nice if every room had a microwave and a small fridge instead of the more pricey rooms has kennebunkport is a very expensive place to eat and stay and heating up a 7 dollar sub becomes a good way to save a little coin. upon asking the desk if they could heat up the food we bought for us, they refused to because they didnt have any microwaves and because its a health risk>>???... Which I find very surprising....
Those are the bad expieriences we have had here. Now, is it enough for me to not want to come back here?...Absolutely not, we love the nonantum, and hope it cotinues to evolve and listen to its critics and its trip advisor reviews to make it a better resort for everyone. It is in no way a bad place to stay.
The nonantum is a nice peaceful getaway in the off season, has is the entire town of kennebunkport. You dont get a buffet breakfast but you get a couple different options on the basic scrambled eggs or pancakes. I would def reccomend a romantic getaway here in november.
In closing, I guess I can say the Nonantum is a wonderful resort with history, and a lovely old world charm about it, mixed with a beautiful seaside town, and beautiful views. It has its issues and quirks but there is way too much postive to keep you from not giving it a try. So take your girl or boyfriend here sometime on a vacation or getaway, walk to town and browse the shops, hold their hands, eat at Allisons or a nice dinner at 95 ocean, and make good memories, and fall in love all over again

1 Thank BlueYankee_Traveler
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 August 2011

We had such a great time at the Nonantum. With two young active boys, the Nonantum had a lot to offer them. Shuffleboard, croquet, basketball, swimming were just a few of the things my boys got to do while we were in Kennebunkport. Our room had an outdoor porch with a huge open lawn space overlooking the water. My husband and I got to enjoy ourselves there while the kids played in the big open space.
The beds are extremely comfortable, and they were two queen beds where many hotels offer two doubles.
The included breakfast was terrific with so many items to choose from. Of course they had usual items like bagels, cereal, eggs and sausage, but so much more including fritattas, white chocolate pancakes, just to name a few.
The pool was a little small but that's really not a big deal.
We were only there for one night since it was a stopover on our way to Bar Harbor. We would definitely come back, especially given the reasonable price.

Melville, New York
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We loved our room, the view of the bay was pretty, the balcony was a bonus, the queen beds were very comfortable and the room was a very nice size, however the bathroom was small. The bedding and pillows were very luxurious and comfortable. The staff was so nice, especially the cleaning staff. There were lots of activities for the kids, they loved the kids club and it gave me and my husband a break from constantly having to entertain the troops. The grounds were fun for the kids to explore, they also had fun at the pool. Everyone loved the breakfast, it was delicious. I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Request Portside and room with view of the bay.