“One of the best run resorts I have ever stayed at”
Review of Nonantum Resort

Nonantum Resort
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This resort is definitely the best run resort that I have ever stayed at, from the front desk people down to the gardener/landscaper.
When we arrived in the parking lot we happen to park near the gardening office and were immediately enthusiastically greeted by the head of gardening welcoming us.
We were guided to the front desk and since we were early I had expected to wait for a while but was pleasantly surprised to find out that we could check in now.
The whole experience was the same from the beautifully maintained grounds and facilities to the superb meal in the dinning room that night.

Room Tip: The River view rooms in the H building are the best!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2014

Hello Kevin!
Well reading your review was certainly was a nice way to start my day! Thank you for those very kind words!
Kim, our Head Gardiner is one of the nicest people I have ever met. She always has a smile and no one is more hard working than she is. Kim always greets our guests enthusiastically and I get loads of comment cards thanking us for the amazing tour she gave them of our 7 acre waterfront property! She also knows a ton about gardening hence all the compliments we continually receive about our grounds. Kim has a fantastic staff backing her up. Cheryl and Sue are right there beside her making the beauty literally come to life. How lucky are we to have such wonderful folks taking care of our gardens and our guests!
Thanks again for the lovely review! Come see us again soon!
Innkeeper

Write a ReviewReviews (1,804)

Reviewed 30 May 2014

I am in love with this resort. I would happily live here. The room is quiet and pretty. The grounds are picturesque with flowers all over and big white rocking chairs on the front porch. The breakfast is to die for. One note -breakfast is only included if you booked directly with the resort. If you book through a third party, it's not. And trust me, it's worth it!!

Also noted is the hospitality of the staff. They are truly friendly and very accommodating. Stay here!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Hi Shanda!
We would love to have you live here! Fair warning though - if you are here too long we will put you to work :-) Through the years many guests have become employees!
You have shared a really important tip with your fellow travelers. You are absolutely correct - not only will you get a free breakfast (and our breakfast buffet is amazing!) when you book directly with us, you will also get the lowest rates and a better room! Obviously, we have to pay a commission to the 3rd party sites so even though you pay more, the Nonantum receives less. While all our rooms are nice, some are a little nicer than others and when assigning rooms the folks who are paying us the most, get the best rooms. This is true industry wide so while 3rd party sites may be a great way to shop, call the hotel directly and you will get the best rate, a great room and in the case of The Nonantum, a free breakfast! I call that a win, win, win!
Thanks for pointing this out!
Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

If your looking for the best place to stay along the Maine cost, the Nonantum Resort in Kennebunkport, Maine is the place.i have traveled around New England all my life and never stayed at theNonantum Resort,but I did know of it. So when I booked this place I was so looking forward to our stay, and believe me I was not disappointed it had everything you would want in a vacation Resort,fantastic staff, great food, best Breakfast Buffet I have ever had, lime and coconut pancakes were outstanding. Beautiful gardens, especially the Fairy garden at the main entrance, lite up at night fall , remodeled rooms in the Boat House have wonderful views of Kennebunk river and ocean,gas stove to warmup cool nights. Heated outdoor pool with pool bar and lite menu items, bikes to ride downtown or to the beach, boat cruising tours from Sail to Lobstering right in front of the hotel,rental Kayaks...plus so much more, this is where you want to spend a few days! 5 star

Room Tip: Ask what your view will be, 3 rd floor has large picture windows but no walk out, if I would go back...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Hello Hammer 182!
It sounds like you had a swell visit to Kennebunkport! Hooray! Just what I like to hear!
Thank you for your very complete run down of all our amenities! Lime coconut pancakes? They sounds delish! I have been dieting so I have not been going to the breakfast buffet but it sounds like I am missing out! I may have to rethink my eating plan!
Latitudes, our poolside bar and grill has great lighter fare so I head there for lunch most days (the spinach salad with grilled salmon is my favorite!)
The Fairy Garden, especially at night is another favorite among kids and adults alike! I noticed our very talented gardening crew out there this week making some pretty sharp additions. I think you better come back and check them out!
I will look forward to seeing you then!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed here for the last day of our coach tour and it was lovely, couldn't have been happier. We were greeted with cookies and lemonade by Rose and I wish I could remember his name. They were both very friendly and informative. That evening we had a lobster feast although I had the haddock which was very good. Can't remember his name (sorry!) went to each table showing everyone how to get to all the parts of a lobster. In the evening there was also live entertainment. Our room was very nice and consisted of 2 rooms with 2 twin beds and 1 full bed. Very clean and nicely appointed with an armoire, lounge chair, bench, 2 TV's, dresser,sink, microwave, small refrig and a balcony overlooking the water. The biggest surprise were the hardwood floors. The grounds were well manicured with flowers, lots of Adirondack chair along the water as well as wind spinners and a fairy garden. They had only been open a week after having a hard winter but everything was ready. The only complaint was the toilet was very noisy and there wasn't enough lighting in the room but that didn't bother us that much. Breakfast was exceptional with everything you can think of...4 types of juice, eggs fixed however, cereals, fresh fruit, bacon, sausage, pancakes, French toast, I could go on and on. The Nonantum is an old treasure which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite which was very large and the upper floors with balcony offer splendid views of...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Hello Junk Frog! (interesting name - would love to know the story behind it!)
So glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Rose and her husband Ken are our official greeters and they do a fantastic job welcoming our groups. Their names appear on the comment cards all the time and they only work a couple times a week! They are two of the most gracious, hospitable folks I know and I am thrilled they are willing to be part of Team Nonantum!
We only have a couple of rooms with the bed configuration you describe so I will go on tour and try to see which ones need another lamp or two. It is so helpful when folks give me a heads up about this sort of thing. I stay in the hotel regularly, but with 109 rooms it is hard to stay in them all and it is difficult to judge things like lamps without staying in the room so thank you for your help!
Come back soon!
All The Best,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

i chose this resort online after reading all the reviews and it lived up to all the hype. it is our first trip to Maine from Texas & i was surprised by the friendliness of the entire staff (i'm from the South & that's a high bar to reach!) the Nonantum is a beautiful hotel, very well kept and grounds are impeccable. waking up to the river view was so peaceful. coffee in my room rocked & the morning breakfast buffet was over the top. it was a pleasant, short walk (and very scenic!) to the center of town. i would not stay anywhere else. the center of kennebunkport has many hotels/inns, but it is very crowded, noisy with lots of traffic and people. to truly get the best of both worlds, stay here & walk to town.

1  Thank susieQusieTX

Thanks you Susie!
Your very kind remarks are totally appreciated! I feel honored that even when compared with southern hospitality we hit the mark! I think you sum things up well - we are in the perfect location. Just a short walk to town, (but a nice walk) where there is plenty to see and do, yet in a quiet little corner of the world where boats slip by as you enjoy your morning coffee.
I hope you can come back and see us again soon!
Thanks again,

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Spent Memorial day weekend here and had a great time. If youre a young couple you may want to look into staying in Portland but if youre looking for rest and relaxation this is the place. I had a 6 hour drive and when I walked into the room and saw a jetted bath tub I was in heaven. Now I got to stay in one of the renovated rooms and the room was simply amazing. Beautiful view, comfy pillows, everything was brand new. the view from the room was picturesque. the restaurant at Nonantum (95 Ocean) is a must. AND if youre staying PLEASE UPGRADE to breakfast included with your reservation. you do not want to miss out on it. Everyone at Nonantum was friendly wish I remembered names. only minor thing I wish they had was a mini fridge in the room. other than that I WILL be back. Oh pool is nice and clean, very well maintained.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view.

Dear New York Visitor!
It was quite a winter at The Nonantum! We redid a record number of rooms and people love the new looks! One of the greatest parts about it is we were able to keep so many local workers busy for the winter. (and when I say busy, I mean BUSY!) One of our painters refers to it as The Nonantum X-Games! As you can see all their hard work really paid off! The hotel has a fresh new feel and guests have never been happier! YES! Just the way we want it!
Please come see us again soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2014

My wife and I have been staying at the Nonantum for Memorial Day weekend for the past eight years. It is a wonderful place to stay in the Norman Rockwell like Town of Kennebunkport. The rooms are nice with wonderful water views. All services are excellent as well. And the highlight is always the breakfast - plenty of good food with enthusiastic college students serving as wait staff. All that does come at a price. All in all a great place to get away to and relax. You can also see the Kennebunkport Memorial Day parade in Dock Square!

Room Tip: Stay in the Portside Lodge on the second floor - these rooms all have their own balcony.

Hi Wes:
Memorial Day is such a wonderful holiday in Kennebunkport! Our little seasonal community has shaken off the cobwebs, everywhere you look is fresh paint and our college kids have just arrived back on the scene ready for another fun summer! The parade is the highlight of the weekend and with President and Mrs Bush always in attendance, you really could not ask for a better day of Americana! Thank you so much for joining us each year for this special day. We will look forward to seeing you again next year! (if not sooner!)
Happy Summer,
Innkeeper

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Colony Hotel
#3 of 8 in Kennebunk
King's Port Inn
King's Port Inn
#4 of 8 in Kennebunk

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!