“Ideal spot in Kennebunkport”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nonantum Resort

Nonantum Resort
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Ideal spot in Kennebunkport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed overnight in a very nice large two bedded room overlooking the water. The location was ideal for seeing and experiencing the small town and the beach. I really enjoyed watching the changing light over the water in the evening and early morning. The room was clean and in good condition and the breakfast buffet was outstanding. One of our group was upgraded to a room in the building adjacent to the hotel lobby, with a view of the water - outside of her room was a meeting place for guests at a wedding in the resort - however they were considerate and did not congregate after 11:00p.m. From booking to checking out and especially in the breakfast room all of the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Hello Moferry!
You know I like to take pictures and the light here 365 days of the year fascinates me! The sun rises and sun sets are absolutely remarkable! The perfect spot for photographers!
Thank you for bringing up our quiet hours (10:30pm -7:30am) We require all of our guests to keep noise to the minimum during quiet hours as many of our guests come here to catch up on their rest. If you are looking for a place where you can party all night, this is not the place for you! One thing we offer weddings is the opportunity to use the trolley to go downtown at 10:30 pm if they want the merriment to continue. This plan has worked out beautifully for all.
Thanks for writing! Hope to see you again soon!
Cordially,
Innkeeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
tampa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We recently celebrated the wedding of our daughter at Nonantum. Everything was perfect from the minute we checked into the resort. The entire staff was professional, courteous and very helpful. Dawn, our wedding coordinator, was fabulous throughout the planning process; she was so amazing that she even arranged for perfect weather on the wedding day!!!
The rooms were comfortable and clean, the Portside Lodge had beautiful views of the water, and the food was absolutely delicious (breakfast was a treat and the wedding reception dinner was outstanding).
We would love to return for another stay. We highly recommend the resort for any special occasion or a place to go to just relax.
Thank you all at Nonantum for wonderful memories that will last a lifetime!

Room Tip: Our room at the Portside Lodge had a balcony that offered a quiet and relaxing view of the water.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Hello There Tampa Friends:
Nothing makes me happier than hearing we hit a home run with your daughters wedding! Dawn is a phenomenal wedding planner and the fact that she can order up perfect weather continues to amaze all of us! :-) Dawn is always calm and in control and brides and their families send us rave reviews. She makes it so you can relax and enjoy your big day - everything you want in a wedding planner!
Please come back and see us again soon! We love seeing our past brides and hearing about how their lives have unfolded. It is such an honor to be part of making memories for families.
Thanks for giving us the opportunity to be of service,
West Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

I'm not sure what was more outstanding, the view or the staff! Everyone from the grounds keepers, the restaurant staff and front desk personnel couldn't be more accommodating and friendly. I will definitely stay at Nonantum in the future!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hi Dan:
I have to agree with you! The groundskeepers, the restaurant servers and the front desk personnel could not be more gracious! It is such a pleasure to come to work each day and know that I will be greeted by co workers who love their jobs and are outstanding at what they do!
We will look forward to seeing you again soon! Thanks for writing!
Warm Regards,
Center Tuftonboro, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

I stayed in a port side King room on the ground floor with a great view of the harbor. I was staying one night for a conference the next morning. I had a late check in which the staff was great at accommodating. The room was fantastic. I couldn't have been happier. I then found out someone I went to High School with was a couple rooms away. I figured this was great. Her and a few from her party came over. We all went out to the harbor where there were seats that faced the water. People were talking, drinking, having a smoke, laughing. What a great experience right? Sure it was great until a week later. When I saw my credit card charged an extra $100 for "smoking in the room". Confused I called the resort to inquire how they came to the conclusion that I or anyone else had smoke in the room. The first person I talked to whom I assume was working the front desk told me "The housekeepers alert us if they smell smoke in the room. Everything has to be taken down and washed so their is no leftover odor". As a non smoker I appreciated these efforts so rooms do not smell like smoke but i questioned there method for determining if a room had been smoked in. It seemed subjective to me. the reply I got was "The room was smoked in. The housekeeper found a pack of cigarettes in the trash can, And the smell probably came from someone smoking outside with the glass door open. You were charged the extra $100 because we had to take the room out of service for one night to clean it properly". Confused how someone smoking outside could constitute smoking in the room and an empty pack of cigarettes in the trash was clear evidence of smoking in the room I asked to speak to the manager. The customer service manager was even worse. Not quite but almost calling me a liar. I explained I was a non smoker and valued their efforts to keep the rooms pleasant and was met with pretty cold and borderline hostile attitude when I tried to state that the other guests had used my bathroom as it was the closest. So, I asked to speak to the Hotel manager. Now here comes a different story..... The hotel manager was nice. Respectful and overall pleasant. Informs me that the room DID NOT have to be taken out of service for a night to be cleaned. Wait, what... the previous people told me it was and that's why I was charged. She stated that she wanted to find a solution to the situation which was nice. She even asked what I felt was a fair outcome. Sadly as I was traveling at the time my Cell phone cut out from poor service and I had no service for over an hour. I attempted to call back when I got home but seemed to be on hold for awhile. I then figures "hey the hotel manager said she wanted to find a fair outcome" if will surely see at least a partial refund of the $100 I was charged for that room. Nope. They never refunded me never tried to contact me even though I was obviously not pleased with my experience. So here I am out $274 ($174 for the room $100 for "cleanup") and I was there for 12 hours off season on a weekday. My chief complaint is their method of determining if a room was smoked in. Some cases are cut and dry I am sure. But, to leave it up to the housekeepers who could very well get acknowledgement or even a bonus for the number of rooms they can get extra out of during the off season. Seems a bit shady to me. If you are going to stay here (the rooms and area are very nice) and someone in your party smokes have them wear a change of cloths when they smoke that never enter the room. Make sure they walk 500 paces from your sliding door before lighting up. Have them wash up at the Mobil store down the street before even setting foot back in the room. As a non smoker I can assure you no one smoked in the room and no one smoked withing 25 feet of the sliding glass door. Shame that the last 5% of this entire transaction ruined the entire experience. I would not recommend this Resort to anyone ever! at all! and do not go anywhere near any place that people are smoking. The transfer smell to you cloths which then enter the room that these bloodhound housekeepers enter the next day will surely set off the $$$$ in their heads and your card will get charged.

Room Tip: Port side rooms are amazing
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Patrick W
Dear Patrick:
First of all let me start by saying how very sorry I am that you were not treated in a way that you believe to be fair and equitable. I know that General Manager Tina Hewett-Gordon joins me in living the creed that our customers come first and we never want anyone to leave feeling they were treated in a shoddy fashion!
This is a no smoking property. When people check in, they initial that they understand this. The reason for this is that many people (myself included) are severely allergic to smoke. My guess is that maybe your friends were smoking near the patio door and smoke blew in, permeating the soft goods (carpets, curtains, bedspreads)
You may be thinking that this level of smoke would not be important. However, please understand that many of our guests are very intolerant of smoke smell. They come here, in large part because they know they will never have to worry about smoke in their room. I totally understand where they are coming from. My children have a friend whose parents smoke. When I pull in to the garage, before I even go in the house, I can smell the smoke that is on his jacket in my kitchen!
I know that our General Manger Tina Hewett-Gordon spoke with you at length about all this. She said you were driving through the mountains so your cell service kept getting interrupted. The last question she asked you was what you thought was a fair solution and then the line went dead. She called you back three times and you never returned her call.
If you feel you were treated inappropriately in any way please feel free to call Tina or me and we will work something out with you. 1-800-552-5651.
Again, my apologies that you are uncomfortable with our smoking policies. I hope that this explanation has helped you to understand why we must adhere to this policy.
Most Sincerely Yours,
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Our room was quiet had a great view. Carpets, beds, linens and furnishings were all of a good standard, I think they had all been recently updated. Breakfast was varied and generous. We were able to walk to the beach in one direction and the town in the other. All in all, an excellent option for a pleasant and relaxing stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Suzanne:
I am delighted that you had a pleasant and relaxing stay. Don't you wish that all vacations were pleasant and relaxing?
Many of our guests comment on how lovely it is to be in a spot where you can walk a short distance in one direction and be at the beach and go the other direction and be downtown with all the pretty shops, wonderful restaurants and trendy bars.
We look forward to seeing you here again soon!
All The Best,
Middleburg, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

We loved our room in the carriage house, it had a place we could walk out and sit on the porch and enjoy the sunshine. Easy walk to town and restaurants. The food was amazing, lobster eggs benedict in the morning! Yum!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
HI Janice:
Wouldn't it be nice if everyday could start with Lobster Benedict? (of course we would have to figure out a way to make it calorie free!)
There really is nothing like sitting in the sunshine in Maine in June. It makes all of us remember why we live here all winter! Lucky you - to live in Florida and take a summer vacation to Maine - life doesn't get much better than that!
Please come see us again soon!
Warm Regards,
Oldsmar, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Room with the perfect view. Corner room with view of the water and the Nonantum grounds made our stay absolutely perfect. With the gas burning stove, walk in closet, 4 post bed, couch and nice size bathroom we could not have asked for anything more. The jacuzzi tub wasn't exactly what I was hoping for because the water wasn't exactly clean that came out of the tub nozzle, but I guess with the older buildings that's to be expected. Other than that next time I stay in that hotel I will make sure to request room 321. We were there for a wedding so we saw several other rooms in the hotel and ours was by far the best. Exactly what we were hoping for and more. The included breakfast each morning was the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. They have a great chef at the hotel. Everything from their various scrambled eggs to their homemade granola was perfect.

Room Tip: Room with the perfect view. Corner room with view of the water and the Nonantum grounds made our sta...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
jeangm11, Owner at Nonantum Resort, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Hi Cari:
Thank you so much for the swell report! I am so glad you had such a great visit!
Our breakfast really is something special! I find it a real challenge to stay away from that yummy granola! It is my favorite mid morning snack!
Room 321 does have an interesting birds eye view on the world. While many folks say this is their favorite room, just as many love other certain rooms in the Inn, while still others are crazy about Portside! The good news is that there is something for everyone!
Please come back and see us again soon!
All The Best,
Innkeeper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
Colony Hotel
#14 of 26 in Kennebunkport
Kennebunkport Inn
Kennebunkport Inn
#6 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!