“Great Resort!”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kennebunkport
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great Resort!”
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We so much enjoyed our getaway to Kennebunkport and the opportunity to visit the fabulous Nonantum Resort right on Ocean Drive. Our room overlooked the river with pleasure and fishing boats moored at the marina or beginning their journey to the open sea. Our room was spacious and very well appointed with expansive water views and a great bed!

We enjoyed dinner in the 95 Ocean dining room. Do try Chef True's Blueberry Ribs, simply fall off the bone awesome! The breakfast buffet the following morning was simply spectacular! almost everything you could desire was laid out for our enjoyment with great service.

Room Tip: River view rooms are worth the extra in my opinion!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello Richard!
Thank you for the fabulous review! I agree that the waterview is worth the extra money. There is nothing I enjoy more than looking out the window to see the passing ships. I'm so glad you enjoyed both of your meals while staying with us! I hope you'll visit us again soon.
Smiles,
Innkeeper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Room 301 was big but furniture very average and poor bathroom when the views were great.
Old fashioned property offering a lot for families with decent breakfast choices.
Pool great to have but a bit small, Better go early morning with a nice garden wi,th a lot to do for kids and adults.
Ocean 95 restaurant was a bit slow but very tasty food and good service.
Wifi was slow in the room but nice in the very trendy lobby.
Will recommend this place.

Room Tip: Close to lobby upper floors
Hi Marc:
Waking up to a spectacular river view is one way to ensure your day will be amazing. Unfortunately, we were struck by lightening so we were having some wifi and telephone issues last week, but those have been resolved, so there is speedy wifi throughout the property!
Families do have a blast here, and it is so much fun to watch them reconnecting and sharing a marshmallow at our campfires! The warm August nights are the perfect backdrop for all this fun!
I hope to see you again with your friends in tow!
Thanks,
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Staff very friendly & helpful. Room a little dated by very adequate. One minor problem was no TV line up card in the room. Ate only breakfasts and it is a very good buffet.

We stayed in the old building on the 3rd floor and will not do that again until they install modern elevators to replace the very small one necessitating summoning a staff operator.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the old building until they modernize the elevator situation
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Larry:
Our staff really does an amazing job! It can be kind of a madhouse here in the summer but they are always cheerful and friendly. Actually I think they thrive on multitasking
Each winter we update a handful of rooms, so we will certainly find your reservation and add your room to this year's list for a facelift! It really is no problem for our front desk staff to assist you with the elevator! As you walk past the desk, simply ask for a ride, and they will come help immediately. I hope you enjoyed your mini-vacation with us! We look forward to seeing you again.
Best,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Our serendipitous arrival turned into a magnificent 3 day escape.

Our 3d floor room in the Portside Lodge (building next door to front Desk) was clean, had luxurious King size bedding, delicious Keurig coffee pods, a convenient mini fridge, and uber pretty vessel sink, all wrapped in a postcard-worthy view of the bay with a cozy fireplace to warm our spirits and heart!

We very much appreciated Leslie's front desk efforts in ironing out a booking glitch. The original one night rate was very graciously honored & extended to a 3 day stay. They could have very easily refused any additional courtesies but chose to welcome us for an additional 2 nights.

Our breakfast overlooking a spectacular & impeccably maintained grounds was a very very special moment -and a most joyful way to begin our day.
Seeing how Management treat their staff shows me that they value their employees enough to share leftover buffet breakfast choices with them when all guests have finished their meals.
To see their own hotel staff welcomed to join in a family-type breakfast instead of throwing out the leftover breakfast tells me the Nonantum Management is kind and genuine and generous.

For this and many many reasons, I would love to return to their property given the chance ~ and make no hesitation in recommending it.

There are plenty of activities to keep you busy on the grounds adjacent to the outdoor pool, facing the bay. Everything was impeccable. Adirondack chairs overlooking an exquisite and picturesque setting of private boats and fishing vessels.

As a reminder to future guests, please keep your young children from running up and down the hallways screaming and disrupting guests settled in their rooms. You can't blame the hotel staff for this type of annoyance. I would recommend bringing earplugs if you plan on sleeping with the wall-mounted air conditioning on. Though there is a lower fan speed setting, it is noisy.

Location is ideal, steps away from a lovely beach area and one where you DON'T need an annoying permit. I would caution you against going to Goose Rocks Beach - stinky and seaweed all over sand and in ocean. Not a single soul was in the water due to the rolling worm-like mounds of seaweed. After being aggravated with a stop at a convenience store to purchase a permit (talk about disgracing tourists!) we stayed less than a minute and NOT refunded. Speak to the hotel front desk staff for beach trips and any tours available.

Driving or walking into the village is very charming & calming - quaint shops & a few restaurants/watering holes. Continue just past this Resort if you'd like to see the Bush Compound and the luxuries politics affords you.

All in all my stay was relaxing, surrounded by pretty flowers and meticulously maintained grounds, lovely meals and equally lovely staff. I see no reason why anyone would complain as a guest here (let alone berate staff with belligerent vocabulary that gets you nowhere! ) - perhaps disgruntled ex- employees writing anonymous reviews in a cowardly effort to promote their acrimony.

The 3d floor of the Portside Lodge had a desktop computer available for guests to use and free wifi is available.
There was a vending machine in the entrance of the Portside Lodge just next to the elevators for small treats - also convenient.

I work for an International airline and am blessed with the privilege of traveling extensively.
Rather than stress through busy crowded airports, I'm already making plans to return to The Nonantum even if it means I have to drive 6.5 hours to get there.

Kennebunkport and Nonantum Resort ~ YOU ROCK!
Thank you for taking such good care of me!

Room Tip: Review choices of either staying at the Portside Lodge *next door to Front Desk) or Carriage House
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Gigglezz
Dear Gigglezz:
WOW! I think we may have to make you the President of The Nonantum Resort Fan Club! What an amazing write up!
Thank you very much for noticing so much of what goes on behind the scenes! As you may have guessed, it isn't always easy managing the multiple needs of all of our guests but we do always give it our best try!
I was especially intrigued by your comments regarding our Nonantum family meals. We have some guests who actually are offended that after breakfast service we gather every one together and the chefs fill the buffet one last time so we can all eat too. We also feed everyone just before dinner service so that all employees get at least one meal a day when they work. (and I must admit it is a rare day when there isn't muffins, cookies or some other treats available to us all!) I believe being well fed is part of doing your best. I know when I am hungry I just cannot put my best foot forward.
We look forward to your return visits and hope there are lots of them!
Again, my sincere appreciation for your very keen observations!
Warm Regards,
Elkton, United States
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I turned a Saturday wedding into a Spectacular 5 day mini vacation. We now understand why my Niece chose the Nonantum for her big event. Our very comfortable room had a nice view of the river, overlooked all the activities going on in the yard, and all the wonderful flower gardens. The staff could not have been better, they were attentive, courteous, and knowledgeable about the area. Activities on the river are accessible right at the hotel. We took advantage of the 2 hour sailing adventure out into the ocean, which looked over a glorious coastline that we had walked the day before. In short, we can't wait to get back up to the Nonantum, sit back by the water with a " Once a Ginn " ( my new favorite drink ) and contemplate all the niceties that life sets before us.. Thank you again for a beautiful weekend !!

Room Tip: Rooms looking over the river are fabulous...
Hi Phillips:
Thank you so very much for the really fantastic write up! I am so happy your niece chose to have her wedding here! What a wonderful family you have.
We cannot wait for you to come back and enjoy (what is also my favorite drink) your new favorite the Once A Ginn! (note my maiden name is Ginn !!)
The sailing adventure on The Pineapple Ketch is also one of my favorite activities. There just is something very special about relaxing out on the beautiful Atlantic!
Happy August!
All The Best,
New Jersey
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The crew at the Nonantum was very pleasant, and the food at both breakfast and dinner were both above average and very good on some particular dishes. Our stay was at the Carriage House and the three floor walk up provided us relief by a tiny manned elevator which you only could use after spending time finding someone to accompany you upstairs. At that point even with a stroller and a baby we decided to go up to the third floor on foot using the very steep stairs. The inconvenience was worth not having to track down an employee and waste all that time each and every time we need to either leave or go up to our room. The room had an old window type of air conditioner that rattled so bad that nobody could sleep at night. Apparently, housekeeping wasn't even vacuuming the floors as the same two hairballs we found on the floor when we arrived were still there three days later, until I decided to pick them up from the very obvious spot they were in and personally threw them out! The BABY'S CLOTHS WERE FULL OF OTHER PEOPLE'S HAIR!!! The hygiene of the room was disgusting! To boot, the soaps and other toiletries in the bathroom were not replaced once during our stay, and the tub had a ring around it on the inside, showing accumulation of what nobody would want during their stay -- will say no more.
We attempted to use the dining room for dinner with our baby and we were quickly turned away as we were told all seats were taken and that we needed reservations. We believed them as were told there was one table at the bar next door we could use. Well, the poor waitress at the bar was very uncomfortable that we had a baby and kept looking around making sure we weren't disturbing others at the bar. And guess what? We checked back at the dining room later, and there were plenty tables available. It is still difficult to believe that this resort has in the past rated so well, especially at the prices charged. I wished they had told us when I had asked about an elevator the truth and told us what type of elevator they actually have and what is required, instead of the quick "yes, we have an elevator" response we received. There is no excuse for a dirty room or an outdated noisy air conditioning system. Additionally, I am sure they can come up with a way to handle young children and related issues in a more professional manner. We felt discriminated, really.

Room Tip: Don't stay at the Carriage House
2 Thank Lizarde
Hello Lizarde:
I am happy to hear you enjoyed our staff! Each and every day I am humbled by the outstanding level of customer service I am witness to. Many years ago we set a standard that each and every employee must adhere to where no is NEVER the final answer. Our legions of customers who come back year after year are testament to the success of this program.
I am frankly totally mystified by your comments about our elevator. The front desk is manned 24 hours a day and one need only say "Could I get an elevator ride?" and one of our staff is happy to zip you up to your room. Many of our customers comment on how lovely it is to take a ride with am employee as we are always willing to share insider secrets for parking spots, beaches and the best spots for ice cream or lobster rolls! When you are looking for a ride down, if you dial 0 before leaving your room and ask for the elevator, the elevator will be waiting when you get there! No automatic elevator I know of can boast this same level of service. I know I often wait for extended periods for an elevator to arrive when staying in a multi story hotel!
I am also baffled by your observation that we are not family friendly! Last week we had 65 kids in house who were certainly well-entertained by the numerous activities we have on property!
I can assure you that if you were not seated in the dining room it was only because we did not have a table available. The empty tables you saw were likely set up for folks who had made a reservation and had not yet arrived.
Finally, (and I must admit I am feeling really defensive at this point) our housekeepers work harder than anyone I know! If you look through the many reviews on this site something you see constantly is that this hotel is clean! I am so very sorry that that was not your observation!
Respectfully,
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Pretty view of the inlet and wait staff were so pleasant. Front desk employees need a crash course in hotel management.

The wedding scheduled “for the past year” as one onsite manager stated, caused us to be relocated within the property several times. It was obvious that the employees were inundated and unable to provide the much needed attention to the regular folk. The hotel as previously mentioned is old and unkept. One walks away with a feeling that the stay in Kennebunkport would have been better enjoyed somewhere else.

Room Tip: Maybe a bed and breakfast with a block of the village would have been a better choice.
7 Thank travelnewengland2014
Hello,
I am so very sorry your vacation was not the way you wanted it to be! It just breaks my heart when I read a review like yours as I know how important vacations are too people!
I apologize if you were irritated by the noise. We do host weddings which of course include a band or DJ, however we do require they stop the music no later than 10:30 to comply with the start of our quiet hours at 11pm.
As we advertise, the hotel is 132 years old, but always very clean and updated each winter while we are closed. Part of the charm of The Nonantum is the old-fashioned feel you get the moment you step into our lobby. We recognize that this style is not everyone's preference, and we are sorry that we did not meet your expectations.

Innkeeper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kennebunkport
The Tides Beach Club
#3 of 8 in Kennebunk
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
The Breakwater Inn and Spa
#15 of 26 in Kennebunkport

Been to Nonantum Resort? Share your experiences!