All reviewsstep back in timegreat restaurant across the streetenjoyed my stayrooms are cleansugarloaf mountainone night staylobbydesktelephonemainecomfortskifireplacedresserrelaxation
Reviewed 23 October 2016

We stayed overnight at the Herbert Grand on our way to Maine from Canada and discovered the grand and gracious lobby. Our expectations, however, did not quite materialize when we reached our room. The linens and curtains had a second-hand feel and look and while the furniture was old it appeared worn and in need of some TLC. The Herbert Grand has so much potential and we hope our experience was due to a transition and/or growth period due to new ownership or whatever because it really can be quite extraordinary.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2016

The entrance and lobby of the Herbert is stunning. Luxury from a bygone age calls to you from the drapes and the seating, and the antique decorative touches. The onsite manager is very friendly, and happy to oblige. But we had a room which was small, and under-equipped. On request, the manager brought us some stands where we could put our suitcases, for the room had none, nor was there a cupboard or any place to hang our things. And there was no bedside lamp; but the manager gave us a delightfully antique table lamp which could be used for reading in bed. The exhaust fan in the spacious bathroom was extremely noisy - but then the manager said that this room was scheduled to be renovated, so I expect that the new fittings will be better.
Warning: there is no elevator in the building, so if you are on the third floor, be prepared to lug your stuff up a bunch of stairs.
The Herbert's restaurant was not operative while we were there, though the owner is planning to open it in early 2017. Mind you there is a restaurant, directly across the street from the Herbert, and it is excellent.
As for a hot breakfast, you have to go about a mile down the highway to get one.
But the price is right, and the place is delightfully quaint.

Stayed: September 2016
1  Thank tonyhj_winnipeg
Reviewed 2 October 2016 via mobile

Stayed here for a night on the way through to Canada. Such a charming building and wonderful rooms. One of the rooms unfortunately had super thin walls so every conversation could be heard from a neighbouring room. The other room was great. My only remark would be to either supply coffee facilities in room or maybe communal downstairs so in morning there is somewhere to make coffee/tea since no one on desk till 9am. Other than that, would definitely stay there if I happen to pass through again.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Claire H
Reviewed 20 September 2016

The exterior is beautiful. The entrance is 'grand' and wide open.
I found the room a bit disappointing - there was no chair other than a desk chair - I personally hate 'sitting in the bed I'm going to sleep in'. If there was more than me there would have been no where to sit BUT the bed.
I 'discovered' the extra pillows & blanket in the drawer but really the pillows should be on the bed.
No TV's - which I was told was on their website but I booked via TripAdvisor to Booking.com. I did have my phone & they have SUPER WI-FI but if I wanted to sit in the lobby and have a glass of wine I had to buy it - that seems like a money grab to me.
Enjoyed the restaurant across the street.
At night because I was on the street side all I heard ALL NIGHT was transport after transport.
No alarm/clock in the room - no phone - shared fridge downstairs....overall it was "OK" but not stellar.

Room Tip: ask for NOT street side - the hotel was virtually empty so I'm surprised they didn't offer an upgrade to ensure a future booking
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here a couple nights last weekend. What a wonderful place to stay and just be unplugged. When you walk in it feels like your walking back 60 years. This is a beautiful hotel and well kept. Dawn the manager was great and knows a lot about the history of the hotel and the area. We went to Sugar Loaf zip lining, hiked tumble down mtn, and did the mount Irma look out. Everthing we did was fairly close. Will definitely be staying again

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple