“after four trips Nothing got better”
Review of Hug's

Hug's
Ranked #7 of 16 Restaurants in Kingfield
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 March 2014

It is hard to know where to start, over a few seasons and several trips in the food has not improved if anything it is worse. The restaurant is extremly cold whenever it is below 20 degrees out, the service is ok, better especially one of their new servers this year. the spicy sausage they use has no flavor, is frozen, prepackaged and pre cooked. Some of their appetizers sound good but are dissapointing when they reach the table especially the antipasto. It was a meager serving of a few of the aforementioned sausage, a couple olives, a small bit of cheese and not much else. The menu is heavily cream based. When a shrimp Piccatta was sent beck to the kitchen for a redo the same shrimp sent out originnaly were washed off and reheated way past the point of being overcooked. Very expensive for what it is not. I can see why locals dub it Buck a Noodle

1  Thank wilfive
There are newer reviews for Hug's

Reviewed 7 December 2013

We were there last night and it was excellent, the pasta special with sausage excellent and the butternut squash ravioli in brown butter was exceptional. We had the Havarti cheese fritter to start and it had an excellent tomato sauce on it.
Having said that there have been disappointments in the past so I understand the reviewer who didn't like the lasagna, in fact I think it was one of my disappointments.
It is fun atmosphere and there are not a lot of options in the area.

Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is our 3rd time going to Hugs and every time we go, we're disappointed. Unfortunately, this was our last time.

When we arrive we ordered a glass of wine and an appetizer. Since it's an Italian restaurant we ordered the lasagna expecting it to be much better than what I could cook or what we would get from the Olive Garden. It arrived in a shallow baking dish and looked like a dish filled with sauce, a few pieces of sausage covered with cheese. My husband I looked at each other and thought what is this? It tasted good but there were no layers of pasta and ricotta. Just sauce & cheese with one layer of pasta.

What really was upsetting was after the waiter delivered our meal he never came back over to see if everything was all right - came over when we were finally done. If he had come over shortly after delivering our meal, I would have indicated I was disappointed with the lasagna choice. However, he didn't so we ate what we had. When we asked for our check is when he howw our meal was - I responded and said, it wasn't what I expected and was disappointed with the lasagna." His response was, "Well you ate it didn't you!" I was appalled by his response and felt it was disrespectful. With this said, we will never go back to Hugs nor refer anyone. It was an unfortunate situation that could have resulted in a positive way but the waiter truly insulted me and my husband.

3  Thank Brenda R
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Crowded but fun atmosphere for all. Clearly popular with the locals and many repeat guests. Somewhat cramped accommodation and reservations are highly recommended on busy occasions. Food is excellent and so is the service. Most of the menu is pasta related but well done. Though relatively small, it was not particularly noisy- easy to hear dinner conversation. Bar area is tiny. Everyone seems to have fun here, including the employees.

Reviewed 12 March 2013

This restaurant was close to our lodge and had excellent food. It is rather modest from the outside and seats only a few tables, so reservations may be necessary. We had a delicious meal, from the stuffed portobello mushroom special through squash ravioli or veal piccata to a range of deserts including balls of chocolate stuffed with ice cream. I highly recommend it.