Mountain Village Farm B&B
Herbert Grand Hotel(Kingfield)(Great Value!)
US$94
US$90
Sugarloaf Mountain Hotel(Carrabassett Valley)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$87
US$85
Farmington Motel(Farmington)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfarm fresh eggsliving roombreakfast roombreakfast is servedjacuzzi tubgranolanext morningsmall farmcomfortable bedgeeseciscosugarloafrobemainefireplaceskiinternet
Reviewed 13 November 2009

I made a reservation through a web interface and agreed to the terms and conditions which stated that if I cancel within 2 weeks of the stay, I would be responsible for the charge unless the room happened to be booked by someone else.

What was not clear was that I would also be charged 'in advance' the full amount of the stay. When I noticed the charge on my credit card statement, I immediately contacted Lisa Standish to question this. It didn't make sense to me to pay extra 2.5 weeks of advance credit card interest for a stay that had not yet happened.

Instead of addressing this question with an explanation, she immediately sent an email saying that my reservation had been canceled. She then enforced the 2 week rule and charged me the full amount of the stay - despite several attempts on my part to address this with her via phone and email. I didn't cancel the reservation - she did - and the basis of my communication was to express that I was not properly informed of the pay-in-advance requirement.

I can't honestly speak to the physical environment at this lodging facility - I'm sure its gorgeous - but the customer service you should expect is pretty clear.

Lisa should change careers and go into contract law. While extremely effective in exploiting a contractual loop hole, she is completely lacks any sense of customer service, hospitality or warmth.

If you care about customer service, and the hospitality with which you will be received, I would highly recommend you go elsewhere. There are plenty of great B&B options in Maine.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
9  Thank kennedan
lalustandish, owner at Mountain Village Farm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2009

This man made a reservation but did not stay here. Once booked, I held his room off the market for several days until he asked to have his reservation deposit refunded. Since rooms cannot be held unsecured, his only option was to cancel. Because he was within a 14 day cancellation period his deposit would be refunded if the room could be resold. He had been clearly and repeatedly apprised in print of my cancellation policy. I have carefully reviewed all communications between us and am satisfied that I was professional and dignified throughout. My cancellation policy is stated clearly on my web site and again in every single reservation confirmation I send out. I have greeted thousands of people from all over the world for many years and find the vast majority is good-natured, intelligent dignified, and lovely. In my substantial experience in dealing with the traveling public, this man was an anomaly.

Reviewed 1 October 2009

If you don't like dogs, stay away from the Mountain Village Farm B&B, because a trio of them will rambunctiously greet you as you arrive. They, the friendly cat, the ducks, geese and turkey, give this an authentic farmhouse setting.

This is not a dolled-up pretentious B&B, in fact some parts of the buildings could use a coat of paint. Rather, it is a comfortable, homey atmosphere. The rooms were nicely furnished with sturdy, not fancy, furnishings, all in good shape. The bed was comfortable and the linens were clean and in good condition. The bathroom had new furnishings and was immaculate. All the fixtures worked. Our room had a whirlpool tub. The "living room" was not fancy, but was comfortable. Alas, the TV wasn't working when we were there. I didn't detect any internet nor wireless connections.

Lisa, the hostess, offered us a great selection of breakfast items. The ones we chose were well prepared and plentiful. Lisa is friendly and very helpful with suggestions for seeing the area. She has a small antiques shop next door to the B&B.

Kingfield is home of the Stanley Museum, telling of the Stanley brothers who invented the Stanley Steamer automobile. That was an enjoyable stop for us.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank swj
lalustandish, Owner at Mountain Village Farm B&B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2009

Thank you to this lovely couple for such a complimentary review. I woud like to point out, however, that my B&B offers both wireless internet service and a working TV in the cafe. (There was a TV temporarily located in the living room but not tied into cable.) Many guests comment on my dogs (down to two). I do ask that guests let me know when they are going to arrive in order for me to have the dogs under control. Otherwise, they are on the loose somewhere on my 17 acre small farm and love to greet guests with great (overwhelming) enthusiasm.

Reviewed 2 November 2008

We stayed in Kingfield for one night to break our journey from Montreal to Moosehead Lake, Maine. Such a shame we couldn't have stayed for longer! The room was lovely; the bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean.

Lisa was a helpful hostess and her dog Cisco is adorable - playful but well behaved. Her house is homely and the views from the breakfast room wonderful. Breakfast was very nice and the organic coffee is delicious.

Kingfield itself was a pleasant surprise and we would have liked to have more time to explore the very pretty area. Maybe we can return one day and stay at the Mountain Village Inn!

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank HLNL06
Reviewed 31 March 2008

Having never been to Kingfield, I didn’t know where to stay, so I asked a local realtor for some suggestions. They named three, which a quick search on the internet revealed to be a bit tired. After doing my own search, I found the Mountain Village Inn. I had a feeling that it would be head and shoulders above the others, and it turned out that hunch was right. The Inn is a renovated farmhouse that sits outside the town in a bucolic setting. I stayed in the Wing Farm room (there are five others), which was bright, comfortable, cozy and exceptionally clean. It was hard to get out bed, given the multi-count sheets, down pillows, and fluffy quilt/duvet. One of the common rooms is particularly comfortable, and there’s usually a fire going there in the winter. The owner, Lisa Standish, has designed a breakfast system that other inn owners might find helpful. Before retiring, guests fill out a form indicating when they’d like to have breakfast and what they'd like, selecting from a menu of several choices —from eggs to pancakes to oatmeal, among others. Lisa is also well-versed in the nuances of the area and a font of information on what to do and where to go. In short, the inn has captured the “feel” of Kingfield quite nicely and should be your first choice if you’re seeking a place to stay in this quiet hamlet.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank gibletNewYork
Reviewed 27 December 2007

This was the first time to a B&B for my husband and I and we enjoyed it. I have bad allergies, and the owner made sure to keep her dogs away from me (as best as she could). The room was fantastic, very well put together, though it would have been nice to have a TV. Its probably just my city mentality though. :) Breakfast each morning was delicious!!! We were very happy with our stay, and if we ever have a reason to be in that area again, we'd stay there!

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)