“Average”

Ranked #9 of 70 Restaurants in Kittery
Price range: US$0 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Set in a one story retired brick post office, The Black Birch has an unassuming exterior. The interior is modern minimalist balanced by reclaimed wood and hand blown glass lighting. Outdoors is a hidden gem of a beer garden.
New Castle, New Hampshire
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2013

Nothing to right home about. I guess I am just not into this small plates thing, the food was ok and you can pretty much find a line up of good beers almost anywhere in this area. The deviled eggs are good, the pork spring rolls where greasy and lacking pork, the roasted cauliflower was ok, I have had better, the French dip sandwich ,ok. You get it a lot of oks, not to many this is the "best thing I have ever had I will be back here tomorrow." There are so many great options in the area I wonder why people are waiting in line to get in here, what am I missing?

• Visited December 2013

Portland, Maine
“cozy spot for a good beer and average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

We have gone here several times in the past year and it has been fun. The beer is delicious, of course, the food just average. It is difficult to get a table, and if you don't mind squeezing in, you can meet new people if you sit at the high table. I would go again for a beer and skip the dinners.

• Visited November 2013
ct
“Hidden jem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

Tucked away in Kitterys Government Street is a delicious eatery. A Friday night visit around 6pm lead to a 45 minute wait time. A small, communal table kitchen/bar was worth the wait. We sat a very long and wide reclaimed piece of wood that was our table. Since it wad communal we spoke with the guests around us. Asked about what they liked to eat and when their food arrived we queried them. Strangers turned into new friends. Our service was quick and appetizers delicious. The whipped eggplant with fresh pita chips was superior. Fish and chips, meatloaf sandwich and tomatoe soup with a grilled cheese sandwich followed. The sandwichs sound simple, but were amped up with the use of artisan bread and delicious cheeses. The fish and chips were good, nothing extraordinary. The chocolate creme brulée was yummy but could have been a lot warmer. Overall, nice atmosphere and good food.

Maine
“Best Restaurant in Kittery (or Portsmouth, for that matter)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

I am a local, and I love, love, love this place. The food is absolutely fantastic, and every time. The menu changes, with some staples always available, and it never disappoints. You would be hard pressed to find better food in Portsmouth. If you are visiting the area, eat here, and leave happy that you did.

Visited November 2013
Veneta, Oregon
“Very nice unassuming find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I was visiting some friends in Kittery Point so they took me to this great little place for our evening meal. They have a tall table as you come in that is “family style”. Three seats were available, so we were escorted to them. A bar is on one side and the other side has several tables lined up against them. The kitchen is straight in from the main door, with open walls so you are able to see the chef’s at work. We started out with deviled eggs. I must say, these were the best deviled eggs I’ve had at a restaurant ever. I had the fish and chips (also wonderful) and we shared the three desserts, chocolate flan, fresh made donuts with pumpkin ginger sauce and tiramisu. I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that we had some local beers as well, which finished off the meal delightfully. I will be back when I make a visit again.

• Visited November 2013