“Easy to find comfortable motel”
Review of Coachman Inn

Coachman Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kittery
Reviewed 22 May 2013

This motel is less expensive than neighboring hotels in Portsmouth. They serve a nice breakfast and the staff is professional and pleasant. Rooms are oldish but comfortable enough and clean. It's not the Ritz but we're not looking for that, are we...?

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from Route 1. If you are as tired as I was, it won't matter where they put y...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 21 May 2013

My husband and I used a Groupon for a 3 night stay at the Inn. When we checked in the lady was very pleasant and helpful. When we went to out room it smelled musty.

On our second day I went to take a shower and noticed the shower liner had mold all on the top. Since it was late I told the front desk in the morning and spoke to the housekeeping supervisor. She apologized and said she would let the staff know. When I returned to my room later in the day I noticed the liner was not changed. I went down to the desk and spoke with the same woman I had talked to in the morning and she said she had forgotten to let the staff know but would change the liner herself, which she did right away.

My husband and I went to lay down for an hour or so, however while we were resting someone used a pass key to enter our room without even knocking! When I went down to the desk to complain I was told that the inn had painters and they probably got our room confused and thought no one was in the room. However, our room was a handicap room and had a metal threshold not a painted one.
I also mentioned that I had to request twice for our shower liner to be changed so this was the second negative thing to happen at the inn in the same day.

When I went to check out, the housekeeping supervisor was at the desk and was very rude and disrespectful! She asked me if I was number 14, did not call me by my name and tried to start an argument with me!! Some how the person I spoke to was confused and wrote in there log that I said the liner was never changed. After making a scene in the lobby this supervisor kept arguing with me!! I simply told her that if there was a customer complaint it should have been taken care of ASAP, and to have a nice day!

Her customer service skills are more then lacking and need to be fine tuned!!

I have worked in hotels before and her behavior was unacceptable! Also, it is customary that when staff enters any room, even if you think it is unoccupied you should knock first!!

I would never recommend The Coachman Inn to anyone!

Besides all the happened the room smelled and the mattress was horrible! The only thing this place had going for I was the location!

Stay away!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Silvaswan
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My family and I recently stayed at the Coachman Inn during UNH graduation and had a wonderful time. We were 5 people and 2 dogs and needed a place to accommodate us all. We travelled with my grandmother who needed a handicap accessible room and we were not disappointed. The room was large enough to allow her wheelchair to move freely. Also, being on the first floor and close to the breakfast area allowed us to enjoy a quick bite in the morning before a very busy day.

The best part was bringing our dogs. When searching for rooms, we found the choices very limited and very expensive. The Coachman Inn was the perfect fit for our larger family and furry friends.

We met staff who made this weekend something I will never forget and I would like to thank them for that. I look forward to bringing my girlfriend (a serious shopper) to the hotel for a weekend very soon.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank dropline
CoachmanService, Online Marketing Coordinator at Coachman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us. We feel quite privileged that you chose us to be part of your very important weekend. We welcome you and your family back anytime and feel free to bring the dogs; they were incredibly sweet.

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We were originally only going to stay one night but the room, location and price were all spot on so we ended up staying for 4 nights in the end. Lovely large room, two comfy queen beds, fridge, microwave and importantly free internet as well as HBO. Plus (in our room at least) we had one of the best showers I have ever come across, talk about powerful. The staff we encountered during our stay were always cheerful and helpful. Also included was a continental breakfast which although not anything special went aways to kick starting the day. There is also a bonus in that you are only a walk away from the outlet stores if that's what you came to Kittery for but for us it was a great location for travelling up the coast and surrounding area.

For the price this was to me an excellent hotel and would recommend it to friends etc.

Room Tip: 16 as no-one above you
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
CoachmanService, Online Marketing Coordinator at Coachman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Coachman Inn during your last trip to Kittery. I am happy to hear you were able to take advantage of the great shopping. This spring has been great for some spending time outside. As someone who has had the pleasure of staying at the Coachman Inn during inclement weather, the water pressure truly is unmatched in every room. The comforts of free Wi-Fi and extended cable help make you feel as if you are home. I hope you are able to visit us again soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2013

I needed a place for a quick stop on a driving trip, and this place fit the bill. We checked in very late, but the front desk person on duty was cheerful and helpful. The room was decorated in what I would call New England country style, a little out of date but not too bad. Beds were comfortable and linens were clean, though the carpet had some stains and the wing chairs looked worn. The bathroom, again, was very clean but looking a little worn. Towers were plentiful and soft but not very thick. The continental breakfast included in the room rate was minimal: bagels, English muffins, cereal, fruit, yogurt. I ended up stopping at the Dunkin Donuts for a decent coffee.

A good night sleep, but not much more, and for a higher price than I would have expected.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

We appreciate you taking the time to review your last stay at the Coachman Inn. This past weekend was a busy one on the seacoast as it was UNH graduation and hotels in the area fill up fast. Consistent with other hotels and airlines, our rates increase during peak seasons, holidays, and weekends and decrease in the off-season. We are happy you chose us to fulfill your travel needs and we encourage you to visit us again as we complete renovations yearly to improve the quality of each stay.

Reviewed 11 May 2013

I bought a groupon for this Inn and when I arrived everything was nice and the staff was pleasant. However, I will not be staying here again.

After our first night, my boyfriend broke out in terrible hives. We went down to the desk to try and find out what could have caused this and they were cooperative in trying to solve but in the end all we got was a pill and a "sorry." I was happy they offered us medicine but not even offering to try and change our sheets with a different type of detergent or offering a separate set of sheets? Well... I kind of hoped for that.

We went to a pharmacy for some benedryl and decided it wouldn't be good to stay at the hotel another night when he could wake up and be terribly uncomfortable due to the hives. We checked out.

It was the same person behind the desk. There was no offer to compensate our last night that we didn't use. There was no type of compensation offered for our discomfort either.

This experience taught us that from now on we'll have to travel with our own bedding. Hopefully other hotels in this area are more willing to accomodate someone who unexpectedly has an allergic reaction.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stephanie D

Dear Guest,

I am so sorry to hear about your last experience and any discomfort you may have suffered. Our housekeeping staff has used the same name-brand laundry detergents on all of our linens for the last 15 years and although we have not had any previous complaints regarding this particular issue, I have notified our Executive Housekeeper of this past incident. Great consideration and effort goes into keeping our linens clean, fresh, and consistent with the quality our guests have come to expect. In accordance with our hotel policies, we were unfortunately unable to refund you for the voucher you had purchased through a third-party. Again, I apologize for the any inconvenience you experienced.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights in April alone and was perfectly happy. The entire staff is very capable and very nice as well. This is a property that was built in the heyday of motels but it has been
kept up and is clean and well maintained. Very large room with a separate area with microwave and fridge. I would come back any time.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
CoachmanService, Online Marketing Coordinator at Coachman Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words. Our staff here at the Coachman Inn is one of our strongest assets. We want you to feel like you're home, which is especially comforting when travelling alone. Each year we strive to improve upon your experience by updating our property. We encourage you to come back soon to see what other renovations we have completed.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kittery
Ramada Kittery
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham York
Sheraton Portsmouth Harborside Hotel
Best Western Plus Portsmouth Hotel & Suites
Hampton Inn & Suites Portsmouth Downtown

Been to Coachman Inn? Share your experiences!