“Lovely”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kittery
Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Kittery B&B and Inns
“Lovely”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We - young couple - stayed there twice in September. Both times we were very warmly received, dietary restrictions were asked in advance and breakfast prepared accordingly. Rooms super clean and individually decorated, with big windows, a ceiling fan and air conditioning.
Breakfast is very cosy in the living room with the other guests - we may have been lucky (or maybe the Inn attracts the "right" kind of people?) but one could spend the whole morning there, chatting away...
The owner is extremely nice and friendly, too.
We will definitely go back there next year!

Room Tip: Each room is different from the others - in size and decor - so it's worthwhile to take a good l...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Illinois
Reviewed 21 September 2013

I recently stayed at the charming Portsmouth Harbor Inn for one night on my way back to Boston from a week in Maine. I usually do not stay at inns, but felt like a splurge and chose this one. The Inn is in a great location right by the bridge across the river to Portsmouth NH. I had a little trouble on arrival from the north but that was my fault for going too far on the roundabout. The entrance to the inn wasn't marked (or I missed it) and so I wandered a bit before going to the spa entrance. Lynn, the innkeeper, was there and she met me around at the inn entrance, which is just up the stone steps from the parking area. She made some dinner recommendations and showed me to my room.

I had booked the Alice room due to only being one person and it being the lowest priced room. It is located on the third floor and has a lovely view of Portsmouth. The bathroom does only have a tub with a hand-held shower, but wonderful toiletries! And the bed was so comfortable! The sheets were crisp and the pillows and comforter were down. I had a wonderful nights sleep.

Breakfast is served at 8:30 and everyone sits at the same table. I was the only one there right at 8:30 and was served first. There is a fruit course and a main course. We had honeyed plums and a caramel croissant bread pudding. I'm usually not a big breakfast eater, but this was delicious!

I had to head back to Boston for my flight home and asked Lynn for the best way. She was very helpful and pulled out map books to show me the route she recommended and some of the sights along the way.

I know there are cheaper places to stay in the Kittery/Portsmouth area, but the chain hotels would not have the charm and comforts of this inn.

Room Tip: Alice room is good for solo and great view!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
portland
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Girlfriend Weekend from our husbands, yahoo!! Our package came with a spa service, bottle of good wine, two night stay and two fabulous breakfasts. Short walk over bridge to Portsmouth and spa right next door. Met some interesting people from all over the world at the breakfast table. Hostess and staff very attentive. Highly recommend and will do again!

Room Tip: Twin beds available
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2013 via mobile

The Inn Keeper was very easy to work with. Coffee was great as was the homemade breakfast. Oh and the bed sheets are to die for. VERY fast WiFi. The rooms are clean and fresh. Definitively worth a stay!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank AlphaOmnivore
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

My best friend and I stayed here for two nights and loved the inn. We chose it for the location (a short, pretty walk from downtown Portsmouth) and to avoid staying in a big chain hotel (most of what seems to be available in Portsmouth itself). The inn is in a beautiful old house - nicely decorated but not overly floral in the way some B&Bs can be. We took the Dido room for the twin beds, which were supremely comfortable - the first thing we did when we got in was take a nap! Common spaces were comfortable as well, and we especially appreciated the abundance of books (local travel guides and other reading) and the drinks and snacks available all the time. Lynn was a wonderful hostess - she was very accommodating when we arrived well before check in time, and her breakfasts were well-prepared and thoughtfully presented. We found her to be a good balance of helpful and friendly but not too overbearing - I have friends who won't stay in B&Bs because they think the hosts are always too nosy, but we didn't feel that way here. I think she's doing a great job in what must be a challenging line of work. Our only disappointment was that we didn't get to use the hot tub as it was too warm out - we'll have to return in a cooler season!

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank hbinnz
Coral Springs, Florida
Reviewed 15 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa for one night in early August, 2013.

Overall, it was a good experience. The inn is beautiful and is in a great location, and the rooms are quaint, clean, and nicely appointed.

Lynn, the innkeeper, called us prior to our visit to inquire as to what type of pillow we preferred--real feather or synthetic material and also to see if we had any food allergies. I thought that was a very nice touch.

But Lynn is a little off-putting, personality-wise. My husband, who is as easy-going as they come, even remarked that she seems like a stereotypical strict librarian. Prior to our visit, she asked our arrival time, and I explained to her that we'd be flying into Manchester, NH, renting a car, and then driving up to Kittery, and that I *thought* we'd be arriving between 6:30 and 7:00 PM, if all went well. She told me something to the effect of "I do have a life, too, and I would prefer not to spend *my* time waiting for guests to arrive. She asked that I call and keep her apprised of our arrival time, once we rented the car and got on the road. I did call her, and explain that the car rental experience in Manchester was horrific, and that we'd arrive between 7:15 and 7:30 PM. I could tell she wasn't happy. But 7:30 PM isn't the middle of the night, is it?

Anyway, we arrived, and I rang bell, and Lynn came out a greeted us. She gave us a basic tour of the property, some info about the inn, and made some restaurant recommendations for dinner. My husband and I each carried in one medium-sized suitcase, and upon seeing us, Lynn said, "what did you do--bring everything you own?" I thought that was a VERY strange remark, especially since she had never met us before. I replied, "actually, this is pretty good for us." We were told that breakfast was served PROMPTLY at 8:30 and that coffee would be ready at 7:30. What if I awoke earlier and wanted coffee before then? Oh well.....

Breakfast was served at 8:30. and it was if all the guests had to be there ON TIME. We were all standing around the dining area, and at some point, Lynn walked in and invited us to be seated. She asked a couple of the people to move, so that the final couple could sit next to each other. We sat around for a few minutes, drinking coffee and juice, waiting for the last couple to come down, and they were late, which wasn't well-received, so the breakfast began without them. There was a fruit course, quiche, a tiny bit of bacon, tomatoes, and a scone. My husband doesn't like quiche and doesn't like tomatoes, so he ate the fruit, bacon, and scone, but he was disappointed that there was no opportunity to choose what to have for breakfast. I was in luck because I like all of those things, but I felt badly for him, because he's a big eater, and I know he was disappointed. After we checked out at 10:00 AM, we stopped and got him something for breakfast in Kittery.

All in all, it was a lovely inn. Lynn could be a little more "customer friendly..." Would I recommend staying there? Yes, but with an awareness of the eccentricities of the innkeeper.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fl_mermaid
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I wanted to write this here to make a point to the innkeeper, Lynn. The Inn was really nice. Nice room, porch, dining room. Nice breakfast. However, I found Lynn's attitude or general demeanor "off." Upon entering the inn for the first time, she looked pretty "pissed off" that I even walked in the door. Granted, I came in rather abruptly in the afternoon, but I was carrying heavy bags, so there was no way I could tip toe like a cat into the inn. The whole time I was there I felt as though she was watching people like a stern school teacher or strict and uppity aunt that was about the spank you or kick you out if you put a foot out of place. So despite the inn being nice, clean, pretty in a great location, I generally felt ill-at ease in this place. I did not feel a warm welcome though and dislike the feeling of having to behave like I was in a church.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Alura R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kittery
The Hotel Portsmouth
Residence Inn Portsmouth Downtown/Waterfront
Kittery Inn and Suites
Kittery Inn and Suites
#1 of 3 in Kittery

Been to Portsmouth Harbor Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!