“Cute little cabin”

Bay Leaf Cottages & Bistro
Ranked #8 of 9 Lincolnville B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

We only stayed here one day but we loved it. We have spent the week traveling through Maine but staying at hotels. This is much better than a hotel. Its a small cottage out of a postcard! There's only two of us so it was perfect. I dont know what the bigger family rooms look like but the whole placed seems nice. There is everything u need in the room. Even a small stove and fridge. They also have a nice breakfast. I highly recommend this cottage for couples looking for a romantic trip. No tv in the small cottage but it was fine with us. There was 4g cell phone service if u need to stay connected and also wifi but we didn't try it. Only negative was it started to rain in the middle of the night and since we're not used to this type of housing the sound of the rain on the roof woke us up. But we put ear plugs in and it was better.

• Stayed: July 2013

Reviewed 21 July 2013 via mobile

The staff was great. The cottage was very cute. Very clean. My only negative is that we checked in on a rare very hot day and thought maybe the ac could have been turned on to chill a little before we got there. Staff was very friendly. Lawn was kept I great. Would live to come back again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Quaint, cute, and the cleanest room I've ever seen! Jane has the heart of a teacher and is quite knowledgeable of the area. She is a real foodie, so you can count on her to tell you where to go to eat! If you can attend her Thursday cooking class and Saturday lobster dinner, DO IT! We loved the cooking class and the dinner is very reasonable. Don't look for a full blown breakfast here. However, it is a VERY GOOD continental fare that they offer each morning. If you are staying in July, like we did, you probably need to make sure you ask for a room that has AC. They don't do daily room service, but just ask for clean towels whenever you need them. Jane and Emily will bend over backwards to make your stay comfortable. This is a traditional Maine cottage/inn experience. This is not the Omni....We loved it! The only suggestions I would give, is that they line the curtains in the room, as the sun comes up very early, and find a way to have a portable AC unit for the room, maybe. We were in Motel #16, and it could be a little loud in the mornings. We didn't have AC and had to have the windows open (which was awesome, actually) But, we could hear every car leave and every person walking out of their rooms for breakfast. We had a TV but never turned it on the whole week we were there!

Room Tip: Cottages are probably quieter, roomier, and also a little pricier than the hotel rooms. If your gon...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
BayLeafCottages, Owner at Bay Leaf Cottages & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

We have portable AC units but they are hard to put in the motel units due to the style of windows which open out versus slide. This has been an unusual summer in terms of heat. Normally, we'd only need AC or fans about 2 nights per summer. Coastal breeze are a help! People are often surprised to discover that the sun rises in Maine quite early - between 430-530 am! A trek to Acadia National Park for to catch the first sunrise in the USA daily is often on traveler's agendas as it's not far away.

Reviewed 7 July 2013

We had cabin #11. We expected a small simple place and that's what we got. No TV, but fortunately air conditioning. We are relatively small people, so we found the room ample in size. If you are tall or large, be sure to check with them. Breakfast was adequate, pretty basic. The facility is well kept and it seems that a lot of effort has been made to update the cabins. WiFi was often very slow and at times non existent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2013

My husband and I were looking for a clean, pet friendly place with cabins/cottages near Camden ME and we found the perfect place. The cottage (#5) was small but functional. It had high, open ceilings that gave such an airy feeling. It had a table for 2, with a HUGE double picture window, a small stove/oven, small fridge, nice stainless steel sink, toaster and most kitchen essentials for light food preparation. The bed was queen size with nice bedding and good mattress. Pillows were soso but I am a picky pillow person. TV was nice with many stations. There was no air conditioner. Other cottages had AC units but there was a fan, it was cool so neither were needed anyway. Bathroom was tiny but again, functional. It has a shower stall. A shelf for toiletries was lacking, I was constantly looking for a place to put stuff down as I applied makeup or blow dried my hair but I managed. The main thing with this cottage is, clean, clean, clean! You get a nice continental type breakfast with a few extras such as boiled eggs, cheese sticks and one of my favorites, NUTELLA! Of course they offer the usual cereal, yogurt, oatmeal and toaster items. Saturday nights they do a lobster dinner for $12!! You get the lobster, baked potato and the best cole slaw I have ever had! We did not have our children with us but if we had they would have enjoyed Bay Leaf. There is a ping pong table, play house and a cute outdoor play area. For dogs there are nice places to walk and a small "doggie park" area way in the back. The place is run by a friendly woman and her daughter. They both go above and beyond to see that your stay is the best it can be. They even had a print out of things to do in the area on a rainy day. Little things like that can make a big difference in your ME experience.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
BayLeafCottages, Owner at Bay Leaf Cottages & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Pillows - whenever a guest needs additional or replacement pillows we just need to know. We have cases of new pillows available on-site for this purpose. Thank you for the suggestion of the shelf in the bathroom - we will add those this week! We just added them to the motel room bathrooms this spring as part of our recent updates. We do offer AC for all of the cottages - some have built-in and some have portable units. At this time all of the cottages have their ACs in place - including the cottage you had. Had we realized you needed/wanted AC during your visit, we would have had it in place. Now with warmer weather, we have them in place and ready for our guests.

Reviewed 4 July 2013

The most darling little cabins! Me and my pre-teens wish we could have stayed longer. I walked into the woods behind our cottage (#9) and was amazed that the whole field was magically lit with thousand of fireflies. Very quiet. No tvs. Breakfast was wonderful, exceptional. Again, wish we could have stayed longer. But I intend on returning next summer with my kids and husband. It was a great value. Really lovely.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Bay Leaf is nothing fancy. Not that I expected it to be anything else. It's pretty basic. For that, I give it three stars. The rooms in the motel part -- that's where we stayed -- are clean, with very basic furnishings and some nice homey touches. But there are a few issues:

1) The bathrooms are very small. I'm small, myself, so for me, this isn't a huge deal. But anyone large would have a hard time dealing with the toilet and the shower.

2) The curtains. The ones in place are very thin and not really wide enough to cover the windows, side to side. Not a major issue, but better curtain could make a stay more pleasant.

3) The breakfast that someone else said was "delicious" is really pretty average.The usual continental stuff you'd get at any chain motel. Again, I know this isn't a fancy hotel. But I don't want anyone to have the idea they're getting something super spectacular, when it's really pretty ordinary.

4) I know this isn't the Ritz, but I was surprised to come back at the end of the day and find the bed still unmade. To be fair, they do provide information about this in the binder that's in your room, when you check in. I don't know about you, but that's not something I generally study when I get to my hotel room. A heads up at check-in would've helped.

5) The toilet ran. A lot. Again, a minor annoyance, but it drove me nuts. I didn't report it, either, so it's partly my fault. But it would've been nice if it wasn't an issue.

The most unsettling thing actually occurred during check in. I made my reservation a couple months ago and had a few email exchanges and a phone call with the owner. Nonetheless, when we arrived, they couldn't find our reservation. I even had a confirmation number, which the owner said was useless. The problem seems to be that they do it all on paper -- nothing is computerized (maybe this would solve the problem?). I know not everyone isn't computer savvy, and I'm sure it was just one of those things. I was lucky -- they had plenty of rooms available, so again, not really a problem. Still, if the situation were different, we would have been stuck.

Another problem -- and this is really minor -- the package we had included a lobster dinner, with the lobster provided by a local seafood place. A very nice promotion. But I think some kinks need to be worked out. Neither the motel nor the seafood place provided us with any utensils or napkins. I know this sounds nit picky, but since Bay Leaf did provide paper plates, lobster bibs, and wet wipes, it would've been nice to go all the way. I mention it only because we didn't realize the problem until we were all settled in to eat, and by then it was too late.

None of these things are major. And I understand that this is a pretty basic place. But with a few changes, Bay Leaf would be a lot better. Here's hoping.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Neshkah
BayLeafCottages, Owner at Bay Leaf Cottages & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

A nice face to face discussion maybe? We strive to have our property clean and cozy for our guests with a complimentary continental breakfast that includes many options for travelers from near and far. A complete listing of our breakfast offerings is included on our website so guests can decide whether or not to partake of it, seek to eat off-site, or bring food to cook in their cottage or have in their motel room.

As you can imagine, we have, in the three years of ownership, tried to improve upon various issues on our property which we inherited. As with any existing older structure, we can't change the size of the bathrooms. Cottages from that era didn't even have bathrooms so luckily all of our cottages/rooms are equipped. The fixtures were updated prior to our purchase and we have added quality amenities and towels for our guests as well as recently painted. However, we can't rebuild the units - since the motel rooms were each originally a cottage. We show photos of each room and a floor-plan online - vintage, not modern, and definitely not cookie cutter chain hotel.

As per your suggestion, we will be happy to add another drapery panel to that window for more privacy but since the room is on the 2nd floor with a dark wooded backdrop where there are no people whatsoever, it's not been an issue to date.

Your Groupon Package was "stay 2 nights get two live lobsters" (not lobster dinners). The live lobsters were cooked by the local lobsterman's wife at our expense and for your entertainment, you received a bag with plates/wipes/bibs and could obtain from us the lobster crackers if needed (lobsters were soft shell which typically do not require extra utensils). Each room has a napkin dispenser so I am not sure why this became an issue for you.

Clearly stated in on our website, on a bedside stand, and in our welcome materials (binder in the room) is our housekeeping schedule and towel exchange procedure. Like many hotels trying to be cost-effective and eco-friendly, we do not service the room daily but can do so for a nominal fee. We ask each guest upon check-in to let us know if they have any issues or concerns so we can resolve them immediately. Receiving a manifesto post-visit is not going to help us help YOU during your visit - a running toilet is quickly resolved, extra napkins readily available, etc. We WANT to help our guests have a wonderful experience with us. We will take your suggestions and work with them to do better. Thank you!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincolnville
Glenmoor by the Sea
#3 of 5 in Lincolnville
Ledges By the Bay
Ledges By the Bay
#4 of 10 in Rockport

Been to Bay Leaf Cottages & Bistro? Share your experiences!