“A delightful stay in Lincolnville.”
Review of Black Horse Inn

Black Horse Inn
Ranked #9 of 9 Lincolnville B&B and Inns
Clearwater, Florida
“A delightful stay in Lincolnville.”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Having purchased a Living Social visit to the Black Horse Inn in Lincolnville, we decided to visit the area midweek. What a pleasant hotel and proprietor. We were warmly welcomed by the very hospitable Francesca. This is under new ownership as of a year ago and she has done wonders with this site. Our room was very roomy, light and airy and overlooked the large back yard with pool and hot tub. Each room has a large bed, refrigerator and microwave, TV (but no hair dryer). The restaurant isn't open yet, though a very full continental breakfast is included in the nightly rate (bagels, cereal, muffins, juice, fresh fruit etc). Our Living Social inculded a dinner, Spaghetti and Meatballs.....however this wasn't just a plain old pasta dinner!! Francesca was born in Italy (Sicily) and lived much of her life there and is she ever a terrific cook. We had lovely horsdoerves, perfect 'a la dente' pasta and very tasty meatballs....and eggplant parm on the side....as well as a very full salad....we couldn't have asked for more. Francesca chatted with us about her cooking, Italian heritage and her love of what she does....what an interesting stay this was. I only hope she can get her kitchen and dining room open to the public. We enjoyed the gardens with fresh herbs and huge Dahlias among other things. We highly recommend the Black Horse Inn. Close to Camden and Lincolnville and all the interesting sites along Rt. 1.

Room Tip: All rooms that we saw were large and inviting. Some rooms are on the second floor if stairs are of...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Clean and affordable in Lincolnville. The breakfast was continental as advertised, however it would have benefited from some fresh fruit other than apples. Also pastries and/or muffins would have been appreciated. One thing we appreciated were the dishes and cutlery were not paper and plastic which is what you usually get for breakfast. I was surprised to see other reviews state they had eggs etc. cooked for them. Since this is a recently opened property perhaps the owners are still trying out different scenarios for their breakfast options. Several reviewers mentioned the kitchenette with no supplies. I think the fact that there are cupboards leads you to think there should be something in them. However this trip we also stayed at other properties with refrigerators and microwaves (no cupboards) and didn't expect to see cutlery, dishes etc. My husband used the pool and hot tub said they were both clean and adequate. Staff were friendly and pleasant.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2013

My husband, daughter and I stayed here for a week in August, 2013. It was my daughter's choice for her birthday week celebration!

Our stay was wonderful. The room exactly as described in my previous conversations with "Miss Frances" (as my daughter called her) while I was booking. Miss Frances and her entire staff were beyond helpful even going so far as to reconfigure their internet to accommodate me (as it was a working vacation for me and internet was at first spotty.

My daughter told Miss Frances that the pool was a bit cold and the next day it had been heated up very nicely and she was able to swim each day until the end of our stay.

By the end of our week at our breakfast, there was a birthday gift and a small cake awaiting my daughter in celebration of her 9th birthday.

For the people who complain about the lack of hot food at breakfast, it should be noted that NOWHERE on any website does it say anything other then a continental breakfast was included.

While I do thing perhaps a roll of paper towels should be included in the kitchenette and maybe a place setting for two, it was NOTHING that would keep me from coming back and a trip to the dollar store or I believe it is called Remy's up North quickly resolved any issue we had with that. Also, Miss Frances did indicate that we could have whatever we needed so long as it was returned to the front desk the morning of our departure.

It has been one week since our stay at the Black Horse Inn and I wish it was last week so we would be leaving again tomorrow.

We would stay here again and again whenever we travel up to Maine.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
West Milford, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Our one night stay at the Inn was pleasant enough. Besides being very pretty, our room was large and comfortable with 2 queens, kitchenette, and spa tub - enough room for our family of 4. The beds were just right - not too soft or too firm. As noted by another reviewer, there were no supplies in the kitchenette area - other than the fridge, sink and microwave. Cutlery, plates, etc. would have been appreciated. The breakfast was disappointing - I would have expected fresh pastries of some kind, fresh local fruit (it is summer) and something hot (sausages, bacon?) - not pop tarts, instant oatmeal and light yogurt. The owner did eventually offer scrambled eggs to our son, but not to the rest of us? Should we have to ask? The owner is very friendly, however, and loaned me her personal hairdryer. I expected there to be hairdryer in the room - which is relatively standard in hotels and motels these days. I think after more experience in the inn business, the owner will improve the few holes in service.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Baslat
Reviewed 14 August 2013

My wife and I visited this B&B when we were in this summer from Colorado. We had a wonderful time relaxing by the pool and walking the grounds enjoying the peaceful setting. Everything was nicely maintained and the staff took the time to go above and beyond to make our stay memorable. We were looking for the perfect place to escape and relax and we found it. We will be visiting again in the future and recommending to friends who often visit Maine.

Room Tip: All rooms that we saw were well maintained and clean. You should be happy..
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Boston
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights. Upon arrival, we met the owner, Fran, who is a nice, chatty person. She was very welcoming and gave us good suggestions for restaurants.
The room was ok but a bit cramped although it was billed as a "queen-sized" room. We noticed that the room next door had exactly the same furnishings but was roomier. Our room was directly across from the ice machine which concerned us at first but we did not hear it at all. The a/c was great. One odd thing, the room had a nice kitchenette - microwave, refrigerator, and sink. But, it was like someone got sidetracked halfway through putting the kitchenette together. There were absolutely no utensils, plates, flatware, dish towels or soap, a dish drainer, etc. So, if you are planning to use the kitchenette, keep in mind that you will need to bring or buy some basic supplies.
Breakfast is a "continental" breakfast that consists of coffee, tea, bagels, hard-boiled eggs, apples, english muffins, cold cereal, pop tarts, yoghurt, and, on one day, cut-up fresh fruit.
The location was good: north of Camden and Rockport both of which have a lot of tourists in the summer. We'd stay here again if we were in the area.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 4 August 2013

This is an odd but pleasant motel. I would not consider it to be an inn or a B&B. It is clean, quiet and comfortable. But any charm comes from the quirky behavior of the owner, who is pleasant and well meaning. Those characteristics make it impossible to complain. Our room was large and quiet, facing the back - a very large lawn that extends to thick woods. We did not try the small swimming pool. Our room seems as if it must have been adjusted to accommodate a wet bar and microwaive which are more or less in the middle of the room. Beyond them are a jacuzzi and chair. A sink is in a small alcove next to the separate toilet and shower. The shower stall is one piece of molded plastic or something similar with a shower curtain. The bed was a a standard full sized bed, so smaller than a queen. (We are used to that, but many couples are not.) Breakfast was OK but certainly nothing approaching what one expects from a good B+B. Eggs were hard boiled. No other egg selection. There were bagels and English muffins, cereals, fresh fruit, yoghurt, etc. Again, all the staff was very pleasant and attentive. Indeed ALL the staff was nice and personable. So my main message is not to criticize the Inn but to moderate the visitor's expectations. I would probably try somewhere else next time, but if they were sold out, I would certainly return.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincolnville
Mount Battie Motel
#3 of 9 in Lincolnville
Ledges By the Bay
Ledges By the Bay
#2 of 10 in Rockport

Been to Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!