“Small town surprise”
Review of Helen's

Helen's
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Machias
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, View, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Small town surprise”
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

We were staying one night in this little town traveling between Bar Harbor, ME and New Brunswick, Canada. I checked all over the internet before hand and could only find this and a Chinese restaurant serving dinner. We had lunch at a very busy McDonalds in town because we didn't want to eat at Helens for both lunch and dinner. Well we had great dinner at Helens and plan on returning for breakfast tomorrow.
Recommend the blueberry pie.

Visited October 2013

Halifax, Canada
“It smelled like a barn”
Reviewed 29 September 2013

When we walked in, the restaurant smelled like a horse barn. The service was very slow. The blueberry pie filling was good, the pastry was not good at all (tasted store bought). The carpet near the 'bar' was filthy

1 Thank Gary L
schoppee, Owner at Helen's, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Thank you for your recent review on Trip Advisor. It is vital to our business that we have feedback from our guests whether good or bad. Being a restaurant that specializes in homemade real food as opposed to fast food requires hand preparation that does take time. As stated in a previous Trip Advisor response there is an occasional river odor from an issue the town has with overflow that is beyond our control. We have no carpets near either of our bars? Our award winning blueberry pie is made from scratch in house everyday, we regret it was not something enjoyed and would have gladly given you a refund should you have mentioned it. It is always our goal to ensure all of our guests have a pleasurable dining experience at Helen's.
Lake Texoma
“Nothing to rave about”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

It was at our hotel and we were tired. Should've driven a couple of blocks to TA's most recommended in Machias.

1 Thank Mary Gail U
Atlanta
“Returning from Lubec ME”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

On our return from Lubec ME we decided to stop for lunch at Helen's in Machias ME.

This was an excellent decision - we knew by the crowd something good was going on inside.

The menu offered a "Haddock Burger" - I asked exactly what that was and was told it was filet of Haddock on a hamburger bun with chips. I chose this and the filet hung off the bun in all directs and was very lightly breaded and cooked just right.

My wife chose the crab salad which came with two very large scoops of crab meat which she said was excellent - the portion was very large.

We sat just opposite the desert cooler where we kept eyeing the deserts throughout lunch.

I asked our server about the lemon meringue pie meringue. Was it real meringue or marshmallow out of a can. She immediately told us that the meringue was made with 14 egg whites which explained the 4 inch high meringue. My wife had the lemon meringue and I had coconut cream pie. Both deserts were excellent however I wished I too had gotten the lemon meringue.

We highly recommend Helen's and would go out of our way to eat there again.

• Visited August 2013
Barboursville, West Virginia
“Go for the pie!”
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

Our tour group stopped in for lunch. They were able to accommodate our large group. They have a varied menu featuring seafood. I ordered lobster and it was so tender and sweet. A local lobsterman sitting across from me imparted some lobster trivia. In a 1 1/2-2 lb lobster you only get 4 oz of meat. At Helen's Restaurant it was the best I have ever had. My husband had the fresh blueberry pie that he thought was awesome.