“Great place, location, & employees”
Review of Bluebird Motel

Bluebird Motel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Machias
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I stay at the Bluebird Motel weekly for work purposes. This place is great, the rooms are always cleaned, and the staff is always willing to help. Each room comes with a mini-fridge (with 2 bottles of water), microwave, and a coffee maker similar to a Keurig. Coffee pods are also in the room for your convenience. The beds are comfortable, the rooms smell clean and are very quiet.
The only draw backs is there is no breakfast (however Tom's Corner Store is in walking distance) and the cell phone reception isn't the greatest (however more towers are being put up in the general area).
Overall, I would definitely recommend staying at the Bluebird Motel. I enjoy staying here so much, that I've had my employer make the transition to have all the employees stay here when they are in the Machias area.

Room Tip: Just provide the hotel with the number of beds you need, and if you need a smoking or non-smoking ro...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JeffnHeather04401

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I stay at the Bluebird on a weekly basis as I work a couple days in Machias. From the very beginning I have felt that my comfort has been important to them. They are always making upgrades based on customers suggestions. They also check in to see if the upgrades are good for the customers. The staff make me feel that I am welcome and my stay is important. The rooms are always clean with clean linens and their fridge has bottled water to drink. Tom's Store has a deli/restaurant which makes great food for a reasonable price. The view from other locations around the town are gorgeous and there is nothing more stunning than a sunrise in Washington county. It is a treat to be able to see deer in the fields behind the motel early in the morning. I would stay here even if a new larger motel were built here. I will keep the personal touch.

Room Tip: I tend to choose non-smoking rooms as they smell cleaner.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kathy M
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I have been staying at this motel for several years whenever I travel to Machias. The people are great and the rooms are clean with microwave, fridge, coffee maker and free WiFi. Price varies with the seasons. They are located next to Tom's Gulf Gas Station & Restaurant - you can walk over for an excellent fresh made meal that is reasonably priced - many locals eat here. The motel is located on the "western" side of Machias just a few blocks away from a Rite-Aid, McD's and Hannaford's, and maybe a mile from UMaine Machias. Machias has a very good laundramat with free WiFi on Water Street, several places to eat and 2 5-star restaurants just outside of Machias. And just a short drive to 2 golf courses and Roque Bluffs beach and state park. Machias is the wild blueberry capital of the world - don't miss the summer festival.

Room Tip: They have rooms for smokers, nonsmokers and a few rooms are handicap accessible.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I am remiss in now having written this review earlier. In August and September while bike touring through New England and the Canadian Maritimes we received fantastic hospitality. After biking all day (75 miles) in the pouring rain, we arrived at the Bluebird as drowned water rats. The host and his wife took grand care of us ... even driving us into Machias (it was still pouring) to get some take out dinner for supper. Although I tried to tip them for this service, they wouldn't hear of us. It's great to be on the receiving end of generosity.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RichHoeg
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The pros: Close to U Maine Machias for visiting families
Very clean
good sized room
flat screen tv and Direct tv
Wi Fi
friendly staff

Cons:
The price. We paid just under $100 a night for a two night stay ($200 total). That was with a AAA rate.
No breakfast.
We had to ask for extra towels but were quickly supplied what we needed
Be careful water is set very hot.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 October 2013

we stayed there and went on the puffin trip in Cutler the next morning - the room was clean & fairly comfortable - i thought it was a little pricey for the area - but all in all it was a good stay - could use some updating with linens towels & pillows but the owners were super nice

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catherine8875
Reviewed 29 September 2013

spent one night here while visiting our daughter at the college just up the road...I called the day before to book a room and the person on the phone was extremely nice! She was apologetic that the only rooms she had left were smoking rooms, but this was not a problem for us as my husband smoke and while we are used to not finding smoking rooms anymore its not a big deal either way for us. The best news was that they are pet friendly!! a small $10 for our pet to spend the night with us. They do accept AAA. We were in room 112, a queen, smoking room.
several pros but a couple of cons:
Pros:
very clean!
Allows pets
nice flat screen TV
waters in the fridge
small microwave
plenty of hot water in the shower and plenty of pressure
internet connection cord provided
very nice customer service
cons:
thin towels (I mean really thin)
thin pillows! (again, VERY thin)
no fan in the bathroom although you can open the window to let out the steam
closes at 10pm (ice is in the office so get it before then)
no coffee pot

The town of Machias is pretty quiet. This place reminded me of going to my grandparents house when I was little, very clean but anything that didn't HAVE to be updated was not. It served it's purpose for us and we were thrilled they were pet friendly but I agree with the other reviewer about it being a great room if it were priced at $50-60 range.

Room Tip: This room did smell like smoke (as expected) and they had left a can of room freshener but no ashtra...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MIkkinJay

Been to Bluebird Motel? Share your experiences!