“Good enough for one night”
Review of Machias River Inn

Machias River Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Machias
Thornton, Colorado
“Good enough for one night”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Stayed here 2 years ago and it was OK back then. If having a comfy bed is important to you, I suggest staying somewhere else. Place was clean and quiet and close to Dunkin Donuts :-). If my aunt didn't live just a few minutes away, I probably would have looked for something else.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newer rooms on the end in the back.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cassidy528

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Bar Harbor
Reviewed 26 May 2014

If you're looking for a Hyatt, Hilton, etc. accommodation, this isn't it. It's clean, neat, well maintained. The decor is reasonable, though very dated. However, didn't I just say clean? I was worried at first as they still offer smoking rooms, that my non-smoking room (#38, one bedroom kitchenette) would smell of smoke from other rooms, and it didn't. I think that the whole part of the motel on that end is new and entirely non-smoking. The kitchen itself was huge for a motel efficiency - you could do Thanksgiving dinner in there. Two double beds, a bit hard, kind of creaky, but we slept alright I guess. It's no frills for sure, but again, didn't I say it was "clean?" That's the important thing. I'd stay here again, certainly.

Room Tip: 1st floor is easiest to get to, but be aware that you're on view of everyone unless you shutter...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HStaples
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We are visiting UMM and saw good reviews of this lodging . The facility is clean but very outdated. I heard noise in the bathroom over the tv, that sounded like someone was in our room upon further inspection of the bathroom I saw the ceiling tiles move. Startled , I called the desk to ask if maintenance was working . I was informed they were gone but would call. The desk called back and said it was the wind. I'm not convinced or sure why the wind would lift ceiling tiles inside the bathroom and I'm not convinced it isn't a raccoon so we are keeping the door shut and considering finding other lodging .

Stayed April 2014
3 Thank StinaDal
shelleymmi, General Manager at Machias River Inn, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our river front property. I had the maintenance department throughly inspect the space about the bathroom tiles in the unit in which you stayed. They found nothing. There were no rodents of any kind or evidence that there had ever been anything there. You stayed with us on a very rainy and windy night. Being so close to the water makes it even windier. I am absolutely certain that the unrelenting wind found a way into the crawl space and lifted the very light ceiling tiles. I welcome you stay with us again and hope that we are able to provide you with a more comforting room.
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

Saved in the off season by this lovely place, when every other place was closed for season or closed because it was after 9pm. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, all the basic amenities. I also really enjoyed the restaurant out front before getting on the road the next morning.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank kipthefish
Augusta, Maine
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed here a year ago in a room on the second floor; this time we asked for a first floor room (there is no elevator) with 2 queens. It was a nice room, clean, good size, nice bathroom. This hotel is within feet of the Machias River and all rooms have sliders on that side. There is a nicely kept lawn area on the river with a few Adirondacks to lounge in with coffee in the AM or a glass of wine in the PM. Very nice. Very serene. The office staff is very friendly and accommodating. Although they encourage you to eat at Helen's, which is owned by the same people and does have great food, the Blue Bird Ranch is right up the street and also has terrific food and wonderful wait staff.

Room Tip: 2nd floor is a walk up, but you have a better view onto the river from above. So, 1st floor is easi...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank debsmiley1
Stoneham, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 October 2013

For the past several years we have stayed at Machias Motor Inn on our way home from Canada.
We like the comfortable bed, the good sized and well maintained room, the well-lit bathroom with the long counter to put our stuff on, the river view behind our room, and the convenience of parking our car right outside our room.

There is restaurant right next door and another one about a three minute walk away.
There is a bike path to walk on, waterfalls to walk to and neighborhoods to walk around.

We always enjoy our yearly stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bcnett
Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Picked this motel sight unseen from a very short list. We were driving between Acadia Park in Bar Harbor, ME and New Brunswick, Canada. Very small towns all along the way. This motel is just that a motel to stay at for a night. Good size room, comfortable bed, helpful staff. Room is clean and towels are better than average. The back side of the room has a patio door and a great view of the river. Definitely a bonus. We were also next door to what I think was the only dinner restaurant in town. Helen's was excellent.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Carol M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Machias
Bluebird Motel
#1 of 1 in Milbridge
Margaretta Inn
Margaretta Inn
#1 of 3 in Machias

Been to Machias River Inn? Share your experiences!