“Enjoyable one night stay”

Axell's Scandinavian Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manchester
toronto
“Enjoyable one night stay”
Reviewed 11 August 2013

My boyfriend booked this property as all the hotels closer to Rockport were booked for Lobster Festival. What a pleasant surprise. After a 10 hour drive, it was welcoming to be greeted warmly by the reception lady which we later learned was the owner. The property was well maintained. The room was clean and had a microwave and fridge. They also offer free long distance to Canada and US (which was beneficial as we experienced a family emergency and keeping in contact was easy). I inquired about a particular location and she quickly went online to assist. Would recommend it. I noticed a comment about limited hot water. I thought the same thing but if i read the notice on the desk which stated to run it a few minutes, the issue was quickly resolved. I would only suggest, keeping this notice on the bed to read. Definitely recommend the property.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you so much! We really appreciate your review and will heed your suggestion to find a more prominent spot for the hot water sign. Thank you again and hope you return sometime!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Salem, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Whenever I am in the Augusta area, this is my first choice to stay.I will admit, I was nervous about staying at a roadside motel like this. However, after seeing my room, I was hooked! I usually stay over at the Fairway Motor Lodge (there other motel that's just down the road). Unlike other motels, each room is unique. If you're use to only staying in $500 a night New York city hotels, this might not be your preferred place. However, with the big lawn, grills, and volleyball net, this is a definitely a family friendly hotel. The heated pool is amazing! I've never swam in a salt water pool until I stayed here, and it didn't make me feel like I needed a shower immediately after. Sheila and Kent (the owners) are two of the most caring, nicest, warm-hearted people. They will bend over backwards to make sure that everything is great.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Neal M
Marshall, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My daughter and I came to stay for 9 nights in Maine. First of all the photos of this inn are misleading. No pool, no nice rooms. When we first got here they didn't even have a room for us and I just wanted my money back and would stay someplace else. Well they said they'd fix it by the time we got back. Tacky room, no blankets on the bed. Well they moved us to another room after promising us a better room but then saying we would have to move to another room for the weekend. Finally gave us a room with a king bed which was ok. Next problem was they didn't put fresh towels in the room 2 nights in a row. On the last night of our stay we came back to our room and there were no clean towels, still on the floor wet, and the bed hadn't even been made. I wil never stay here again. There isn't even anyone around after 9pm till 9 am. Ugh!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Brenda H
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 22 July 2013

"Inn" is a big misnomer. This is a side-of-the-highway 50s style motel and a most undistinguished one at that. Yes, it is clean and the plumbing and A/C work. But, ugh!!! Ugly, small rooms looking las if they were never nice, let alone after years of use. We stayed here because of the great reviews on TA. How misleading they are! How anyone (other than the owners) call this place charming is unfathomable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank XYZABCTampa
Piedmont, South Carolina
Reviewed 11 July 2013

We were very impressed with the staff. They were very friendly and helpful. The rooms were large and clean. They had a full kitchen with stove, refrigerator and sink. My daughter loved the pool. Would stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this review, 13 July 2013
Thank you so much! We really appreciate your positive review and hope to see you in the future. It was a pleasure serving you.
Moncton, Canada
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My husband and I took a Minnie vacation on our motor bike, saw this little motel ,looked good,but what a mistake!!! Did not have a good night sleep mattress was hard as a rock... But that wasn't the worst I went to take a shower NO WATER !!! And couldn't go to the front desk to report the problem because there is no one in the office in the early am

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Oh my goodness. I am so sorry you had trouble with the shower. There is plenty of water, both hot and cold. You must not have turned it on correctly. We have a doorbell at the office door which rings into my apartment for any after or before hours issues. I wish you had come to us and we would have shown you how to turn the knob to get the water in the shower. We hope you will try us again sometime and we will do our best to make your stay a more pleasant experience. Thank you so much, Sheila, the owner, Axell's Scandinavian Inn.
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed 6 June 2013

It was so much more than I expected. Having traveled back and forth from the midwest for 10 years I have seen my share of good and bad. This motel was great. I was just there for one night. It's a strip motel so the room wasn't huge but big enough for a king size bed, dresser, desk, night table and a little kitchenette with microwave, toaster, some dishes and even some dish detergent plus a bigger than mini, mini-fridge. The fridge was small apartment size. Twice the size of the average hotel or motel room. There is a regular thermostat for the heat, which I didn't need. Plus a separate full sized window air conditioner in the bathroom. There is a little sign that says the hot water does take a couple of minutes to come through. It did and when it did it was plentiful with good water pressure. I think I was most impressed with the carpet. It looked fresh and new. I stayed at the Sheraton Boston a few months ago and it reminded me of that carpet. All in all a pleasant stay. I would recommend and go back again. Oh, one more thing. The desk clerk gave an excellent reference for Chinese food. There are several sub shops and restaurants nearby, but I wanted Chinese food. He recommended China King. It has a small buffet, but what is there is excellent. The fried rice was just how I like it. Fluffy with a little pork and small amount of onions. The boneless spareribs where fresh and delicious. The teriyaki beef was thin and tender. Fried chicken wings were good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Senator Inn & Spa
Homewood Suites by Hilton Augusta
Fireside Inn & Suites
Fireside Inn & Suites
#2 of 6 in Waterville

Been to Axell's Scandinavian Inn? Share your experiences!