“Pleasant surprise”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Manchester
Halifax, Canada
“Pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stopped at the Scandinavian Inn on our way back home from a vacation in New England. We were very pleasantly surprised! The room was spacious enough... we had a partial kitchen for a quick fix before bed time. We had a brand new King size bed! the room was very clean... air conditioned...Satellite TV....VI FI was free and working well, long distance calls from our room were free... and the price was right...We intend to consider staying there again on our way to our annual one week vacation to the Berkshire in Ma.... I would greatly recommend it as a super place to overnight travelling the 95 north or south!

Room Tip: easy to select a room online... make sure you ask for a half or full kitchen... depending on your ne...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gee4_12
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review. We work very hard to give our customers a clean and comfortable place to lay their heads and maybe even cook a meal or two and it is all worth it when we have wonderful customers such as yourselves! Thank you for sharing your experience with our fellow tripadvisor users!
Sincerely, Sheila Axell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
New Glasgow, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

and friendly away from home experience ever. Sheila and Kent made our stay so comfortable we booked one night and stayed for two. We enjoyed our time greatly and look forward to future visits!

Thanks!
Elaine, Diane and Linda

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Oh you guys, thank you so much for staying with us! We had a great time getting to know you!!!! Hope we get a redo some day! And also, thank you for the review! Till next time....... Cheers!
Amesbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed here with two other couples (versus pitching a tent in a muddy field overnight to attend a friend's large cookout/party) and it was a gem. Easy to find. Clean, comfortable, and having the kitchenette was a nice added extra.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and found our guest rooms to be clean and comfortable! Hope next time you are in the area you choose us instead of that muddy field again! Lol

Sheila & Kent Axell
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed at there for 3 months while working in the area. I could not say enough good things about how friendly and helpful everyone was. It was clean and comfortable. The kitchenette was essential so that I could cook my own food. I was there during the winter and the snow in parking lot was removed quickly. Highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much Ruth, for your lovely review. We try hard to make our guest units with kitchenettes comfortable for extended stays such as yours! We are so happy you stayed with us and enjoyed it!

Sheila & Kent Axell
Indiana
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I was visiting Waterville, but all the motels in town were full. So I had to cast a wider net. Lucky for me, because it brought me to Axell's Scandinavian Inn. This is actually two separate motels, Axell's and the Fairway Inn, a mile or so west. both are strip motels on big horseshoe drive. I stayed at the Fairway. The room was large, updated, well maintained and very clean. It has a galley kitchen with a full size range and refrigerator, perfect for a longer stay. One nice feature was the radiant heating, which kept the room warm, silently. A big improvement over the loud blowers so often encountered. I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Fleagle
sheilabobeila, Owner at Axell's Scandinavian Inn, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Thank you so much for the lovely review. We really appreciate it. Sorry you had to travel away from Waterville, but so happy you ended your journey with us!

Sheila and Kent
Katy, Texas, United States
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

Just four miles out of Augusta isa little gem of a place. Nice beds, floor space and a kitchenette for under 100. They even had extra pillows already on the bed. It's pet friendly, too. By Scandanavian, I think they mean IKEA. Love the blackout curtains.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brenda P
Thank you so much for the lovely review. We really appreciate it and it helps us out too! We hope you stay with us again if you ever return to the area. By the way, I do a lot of our shopping at Ikea! Haha. Love making good use of every inch!

Thanks again,

Sheila and Kent
Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I really hate to write a negative review, but there are some changes that Axells Scandinavian Inn could make that would have made my stay there much more pleasant. I would stay there again and encourage others to also stay there as long as you have read this, and other reviews, and understand just what your are getting.

To start with some positives, and the most important attribute to me, is… the room was very clean! We stayed in Room 102. The bed was fresh and comfortable. There was a considerate sign that cautioned us to wait up to 3 minutes for hot water, but we never had to wait that long and there was plenty of hot water. I loved the room’s location to Augusta, BUT:

I was attracted to the place by a price lower than other surrounding motels. However, should I have had to cancel within 30 days of arrival, I would have lost my payment, which had already been withdrawn from my credit card just when I booked. Before the 30 days, there is a $35 per day cancellation fee. I had booked far in advance and fully expected to make the trip, but any number of things can happen that may make a cancellation necessary. Unlike most motels, Axells Scandinavian Inn does not respect that.

There is no pool at this facility! The owners also own another motel, Fairway Motor Lodge, a mile further out on Western Avenue and customers are allowed to use the pool at the Fairway. Unfortunately, I had to hear this from another customer. When we checked in there was no explanation offered about any of the motel operations. We found nothing written in the room that explains how they work. It would have been nice when we checked in to have the clerk say “Have you stayed with us before …. The pool is …. WiFi is …. “ etc. Guess I should have been smart enough to ask all the questions!

Axells provides a do-it-yourself coffee maker in the room with a single bag that makes two cups. Our second day, our coffee maker had not been cleaned and I had to ask at the desk for another bag of coffee. Even a Motel 6 offers coffee in a central location in the morning!

Some motels welcome the guest with a couple of mints on the pillow. When we checked in on our bed we found an empty envelope from the housekeeper. I’m sorry, but when we left the envelope remained empty.

Apparently, because of the efficiency units that they have available, they have a lot of customers who stay for prolonged periods of time. Some are people who may have rented their coastal homes; others are contractors who are working construction projects in the area. Those of us who are visiting for a night or two are possibly an annoyance, which is why they maintain the formidable cancellation policy. But, again, the place is clean, comfortable, and pleasantly located just outside Augusta, and I think they should reconsider their cancellation policy to make it a bit more customer friendly.

I would like to have made some of these comments directly to the owners when we checked out, rather than broadcasting them publicly, but there is no one in the office until 9am and the office door was locked. I felt awkward ringing the bell to simply complain. Reading other reviews, I think the owners are trying hard to make this a successful motel. But, with two separate motels to run and the horrendous hours they have to work, I think they are severely challenged. I would encourage them to re-think their refund policy that might increase the volume of guests and allow them to hire more help.

Again, very clean place, inexpensive if you don’t need to cancel, and near Augusta. I would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ken N
Also consider these accommodations in or near Manchester
Senator Inn & Spa
Best Western Plus Augusta Civic Center Inn
Hampton Inn Augusta
Hampton Inn Augusta
#2 of 9 in Augusta

Been to Axell's Scandinavian Inn? Share your experiences!