“Great value, friendly service”

Milford Motel on the River
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Milford
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We stayed here overnight during a road trip. The accomodations were clean and the owner was very friendly. The kitchenette and free internet were really convenient. Not a fancy place, but clean and convenient.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank jayrsigh_travel
There are newer reviews for Milford Motel on the River

Reviewed 2 October 2011

When my UMaine freshman daughter was facing knee surgery in Bangor several years ago, I chose the Milford Motel for her days of recovery because of its value, its kitchenettes, and its easy ground-floor access. The motel provided all of that and more, including free internet access. It's not fancy, but the river out the back window (or back deck if you are upstairs) is a lovely perk and we were quite satisfied with our experiences there.

So when my daughter needed knee surgery again this past spring (April 2011), we made a reservation here right away. Her surgery and recovery period were more extensive than expected and we ended up staying at the Milford for almost two weeks. Again, a fine experience. The owners were sympathetic and helpful, did not complain when we had to run both an electric cooling pump and a passive motion machine for her knee, and even offered to lend my daughter a hand if she found herself in a bind once she was back on campus and I was back at home in another state. (On my own, I left an extra tip for the additional electricity we had consumed.) This time we also took advantage of the washer and dryer on site.

Last weekend I stayed here again when I visited Orono for a September athletic competition, and because I called late I ended up in a two-bedroom suite. Larger than what we had used before: a double (or queen?) and a twin bed in the main room with another double in a separate room, a bigger bathroom, and full-size kitchen appliances, too. More than what I needed for the one night, but perfect for family members who may join us for the commencement ceremony in the spring, so I booked one of each type of room for next May.

If you are looking for good, basic accommodations, including kitchen amenities, laundry access and free wi-fi, all at a reasonable price, this place is worth checking into.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Linda B
Reviewed 24 September 2011

pet friendly. jayne the owner very friendly . Several times while packing and unpacking car she asked if we needed help . Visiting friends on same street so very very convient. Plan on staying there next year when we return . They are realy trying to update the motel. Its like a mom and pop place and the girls working there were very friendly. Thanks

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank bkmigliore
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Stayed here because there was nothing else available in Bangor. Arrived late at night and was lucky to have someone up to book us in. Took only room available, a 2 bedroom suite. Pricing was rather high ($130 +). No wireless or breakfast. Older interior but well kept. If we had the choice, one of the hotels in Bangor would have been better and cheaper.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

The person who runs this hotel has the worst customer service I have ever seen. She told me that we couldn’t use our debit card with a visa logo on it to pay for the room, even though we’ve done this at every other hotel in the world that my wife and I have ever stayed at. She also said that the AAA card that we had we couldn’t use because it was under my name instead of my wife’s. She then proceeded to charge us an extra 7 dollars a night for my 17 year old sister-in law that was staying with my wife and I even though on the Expedia website it said children 17 and younger were not charged. The manager of this hotel proceeded to ask me a barrage of personal question like how long my wife and I were married, why didn’t we have the same last name, and why we were in the area. I answered these questions truthfully even though it was none of her business and when I told her we were there for the Kah Bang concert in Bangor she told me not to be loud when we got back from the concert late at night. She basically assumed that I was going to be a party animal and was definitely being an ageist against me (even though I am almost 30). Whenever I had a question or even when I went to check out of our room there was no one at the front desk and we sometimes had to wait hours for someone to show up. If you come across this hotel in Milford, ME keep driving past this hotel because you can certainly do better than this place which will give you nothing but aggravation.

3  Thank aimeebee02
Reviewed 14 August 2011

This hotel is older and out of the way. We knew that going in but having a suite at the price of a flee bag hotel in Bangor was what got us to book it. I traveled to Bangor for my birthday get together and for a concert. My husband and I checked in with my sister so the suite with seperate rooms in theory would have been perfect. It wasn't the level of cleanliness, or the location that blew it for us.
It was the proprietor who was completely ridiculous. We booked through expedia and when we checked in she asked my younger sister for her age and it felt like a background check. She told us the kids age had to be under 13 and she is 17. though expedia had the age until 17! Fine we thought we'll pay the $7 extra a night. Then it was that we had paid with a debt card. She wanted a major credit card and couldn't be consoled that I have a line of credit on my debt card and it has a visa logo! I have booked a resort in mexico, an international cruise, and many many hotels across the us with my debt card so I didn't see the problem!! So, Milford maine has higher expectations than international establishments what the hell!
All of this wouldn't have bothered me really I could have gotten over it. It was the prying questions into why we were staying and the looks like we came there like terminators bent on destruction that was the most unsettling. I'm almost 30 and I felt like I was being treated like a sorority sister on a bender. She would ensure us that it was a standard line of questioning that she asks every patron of her establishment but really it was because we we're middle aged or older.
She took our money though and seemed pissed we had a triple A card and knew about the discount. She was upset I booked the room on my car and the triple A card was in his name! I explained we have a joint account so techniquely it was in his name still she was huffy. I really didn't think people could own hotels and know nothing about hospitality. Apparently I was wrong. She kept saying I'll do it this one time like it was a big favor. I would have gladly at that point just stayed somewhere else. We asked if we were a burden to her and asked if she wanted us to take our business elsewhere. response "you can't I need 48 hours notice." Really . . . really wow okay then you have my money one way or another so just give me my room and calm it down lady. I could have just written one word UNBELIEVEABLE but without the explaination no one would have believed me.
Never again I'll take even the travelodge over this place any day. The beds were also too short my feet dangled and I'm 5'8! The beds leave you feeling stiff. The walls were paper thin we were woken at 6:30a from our neighbors. There is no breakfast and due to our older than dirt noisy fridge in the kitchenette we didn't sleep well to boot.
So, if you want to be treated like crap but have a spacious room this hotel is for you! Enjoy.

3  Thank tffshambler
Reviewed 23 February 2011

I've stayed here twice, the first time we walked in late at night and just needed somewhere to sleep and checked out the next morning, the only thing I really noticed the first time was the nice view of the river. This time, I had a chance to look around.
I wanted to take a bath, but had to go out and buy disinfectant. Why? Because when I looked closely, there was quite a number of long, curly hairs laying on the bottom of the tub. Needless to say I didn't feel comfortable bathing without cleaning first.
We stayed in a standard room with a compact kitchen, which included a 2 burner stove, compact fridge, sink, microwave, mini coffee maker, and I can't remember if there was a toaster. The cabinets were stocked with plates, bowls, pots and pans, and silverware, which was a plus.
The bathroom was the least clean space. The first night, I noticed a bug scurrying across the floor, and though at first glance the toilet seat looked clean, when I looked closely I saw that it clearly hadn't been cleaned in a long time. There was a paper stating it had been sanitized when we arrived, but there was dried urine everywhere when you lifted the seat up.
The walls are paper thin, I was woken up the first morning at 6am by the couple in the room next door having sex, and you can hear everything someone said in the next room. Even people walking by the room makes a racket.
Everything was dusty, and the outlets weren't very accessible (for charging phones, computers, etc.). The room key is an actual key and got stuck in the lock every time we went into the room. The beds were decently comfortable. The room was a good size with a good layout. The owners are nice. I was pleasantly surprised to find free wi-fi.
All in all, I'll stay here again, because it's cheap and you get what you pay for, I wasn't expecting 5 star service or cleanliness. I wish it had been cleaner, but it wasn't so unpleasant that I don't feel comfortable staying there, I'll just make sure to bring disinfectant and clorox wipes next time. Plus, we don't stay in the room most of the time anyway, we just need a place to sleep, and there aren't too many options in the area for such a cheap price.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ChristineEdward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Milford
Black Bear Inn and Conference Center
Comfort Inn Bangor
Comfort Inn Bangor
#3 of 26 in Bangor
The Country Inn at the Mall

Been to Milford Motel on the River? Share your experiences!