“One of the most beautiful parks in the U.S.”
Review of Baxter State Park

Baxter State Park
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Millinocket
More attraction details
Owner description: This park features Mount Katahdin, the largest mountain in Maine, and where you might also catch sight of a moose.
Reviewed 30 July 2011

Almost every year, my wife and I take a pilgrimage to northern Maine to Baxter State Park. Late September (or around the leaf peeping stage) is the best, but late august isnt bad either. Most people when they think of Maine think of the coast, but the interior has a lot to offer, especially taking a tour of the states most famous park, donated largely by the efforts and money of former governor Percival Baxter.
The "Base Camp" we use is a place that's only 2 miles from the Park gate, and a favorite camping spot for 15 years now called the Penobscot Outoor Center. It is run by a company called Northern Outdoors, and they offer all the camping/white water rafting adventures you could want, and a beautiful location to go with it. Just google them & check it out yourself, you wont be dissapointed.
You don't have to raft to camp there, and you have access to all the facilities, ie: the lodge, showers, etc. You can rent cabins. cabin tents, or pitch your own tent if you want.
We always "attempt" to hike Mount Katahdin when were there, and are rarely dissapointed with the weather. You will burn up digital film like nobody's business, and if you are there for a few days, you WILL see moose. **Go into the park, get a map from the gate guard and head to Sandy Stream Pond. I have NEVER not seen moose there! Bear sitings are also frequent (best chance in the morning eating berries on the road south of the park entrance)
The staff at the outdoor center where we camp are always friendly and willing to make your visit the best it can be. If you like to hike, fish, raft, take photo's or just sit back & enjoy the maine wilderness, this place is it!

5  Thank TravelTopham
"day hike"
in 5 reviews
"bug spray"

Reviewed 15 September 2010

I went to climb Mt. Katahdin, which was very worthwhile, but also noticed how beautiful some of the lakes were as I drove in. Would definitely recommend for wild, unspoiled scenery, and good hiking opportunities. I was not prepared for the length interrogation by the park rangers, who apparently have nothing better to do than walk through the parking lot and then grill anyone unfortunate enough to be caught in their dragnet about their plans, experience, equipment, etc. After what seemed like an eternity of having to answer all these questions (not clear if there was an implicit threat to deny me access to the trail if I gave the wrong answers), I sat down in the passenger seat of my rental car, pretending to be engaged in some preparations, hoping this guy would go away. He did, but the interrogation resumed, when I walked past the ranger hut to get to the trail. If you are not interested in proving that you're good enough to be on the mountain trail by answering an endless series of mindless questions, I would recommend deceiving the rangers, and telling them you are only going for a short level hike in the woods.

11  Thank WildernessSeeker
Reviewed 2 October 2009

My husband and I went to Millinocket specifically to go to Baxter State Park. It did not disappoint. The park is truly “forever wild” as Percy Baxter intended it to be. With that in mind, remember that the trails and roads are unpaved and not well kept. There are very few signs in the park to tell you where you are. There is no electricity or running water, only out houses to use (which are few and far between).

I would highly recommend using a guide service to visit the park. We used New England Outdoor Center and would have been lost without them. The park is not easy to navigate if you are not familiar with it. It is truly nature’s beauty and worth the trip. We were looking for moose, but no luck. Still, it was well worth the visit and the guide fee. This is a must see for nature lovers and leaf peepers.

5  Thank Kirkdawg98
Reviewed 21 September 2008

I love the idea of nothing being modernized in the park. And I do NOT hike and do NOT have a fondness for pit toilets! :) I appreciate the idea and agree with the philosphy. Very pretty place with many short hikes to ponds, etc. I was looking for moose and was assured that I was likely to see one since it was rutting season. No luck :( Still pretty tho. Fee this year was $13 per day. You can come and go... just need to let the person at the gate know you are leaving (for food in our case) and they will let you keep the pass and return later in the day. It IS a daily fee, so a bit on the pricey side, I would agree. I did think it was good that they do NOT charge people from Maine. Was glad to see that the locals were able to enjoy thier own back yard and not pay. If you like primitive, this is the place for you. And if you're like me and NOT eager to do primitive camping, you can still enjoy the drive and shorter hikes and stay elsewhere!

6  Thank wings1980