“Climbing Mt Katahdin”
Review of Mount Katahdin

Mount Katahdin
Ranked #2 of 18 things to do in Millinocket
More attraction details
Owner description: Located at the northern end of the Appalachian Trail, the tallest peak in Maine stands at 5,267 feet.
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We (my husband and I) planned our whole New England trip around summiting Mt Katahdin. We had only one day to do this as we had our whole trip and lodging planned thru out New England for the week. We had hoped the weather would be good for our hike. However, it poured rain the night before and was still misting rain the next morning, the day of our hike. I had researched and thought the rangers would not "let" us hike with the rain, but they just told us the weather forecast which was 89 mph gusts at the summit. But we decided to see what we could do. We had planned on the Abol trail. We are in our mid 50's but we had really trained for this climb with spin classes, I'm an avid runner (5K's), trained with Jacob's Ladder at the gym to simulate rock climbing, and did our usual hiking since we are avid day hikers. Only two others were hiking this day on this trail. We got about 2/3rd s of the way up and knew it was time to turn back when 40 mph wind gusts knocked us down. The other men turned around at the same time. You could only see about 100 feet in front of you due to the weather-low misty clouds. Although disappointing not to summit, it was a great accomplishment to get as high as we did in those conditions. The training was worth it. We felt like we could have easily summated if the weather had cooperated. We plan to return next year, earlier in the season, to accomplish this goal.

3  Thank bluejabber
There are newer reviews for Mount Katahdin

Reviewed 21 October 2013

It was an incredible hike that was challenging and tough. In the end it was worth every scrape, bruise and tear!

3  Thank Amy W
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Spectacular!! The Falls colors were were GREAT and the mountain is visible from so many places. We loved it!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I climbed Katahdin as part of my Appalachian Trail Maine section-hike and was equally impressed with the difficulty as well as the scenic views from the summit. Being an older hiker, I chose the "easier" ascent...the Chimney Pond and Saddle trails. I descended via the Hunt trail as it is the start of the AT.

Listen to the Baxter Park Rangers: the climb is very technical and you should carry sufficient water plus a light source (headlamp, flashlight). The climb down was far more difficult than the ascent so allow plenty of time for both. The park gates opened at 6:00 AM and it really helped to get an early start.

The weather co-operated and provided some outstanding views both from the summit and on the way up. The experience was one that I will never forget and can highly recommend!

2  Thank Oilman65
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Hiked it many years ago..loved it!I like going up Abol..I tried the Hunt trail 10 years ago and really struggled.