“Warm and inviting - even in the middle of winter!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Millinocket
Twin Pine Camps at New England Outdoor Center
Bolton, Massachusetts
“Warm and inviting - even in the middle of winter!”
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed here in late January when the snow was about a foot deep and the temperatures were in the single digits. The air was clear and crisp and the view from our cabin of the lake and Mt. Katahdin was simply spectacular!

The staff was incredibly friendly at check-in and during our entire stay. Our cabin was clean, modern, comfortable and fully furnished with everything we needed. Our cabin did not have a television in it (which was nice, in that it caused us to sit and engage in good 'ol time evening chit chat)! We were here for a snowmobiling weekend and the snowmobiles were just a 30 yard walk from our front door. When we returned from the end of a day outdoors, it was nice to retreat to a warm, airy and comfortable home. The lodge had a fireplace, hot coffee available all day long and a wonderful bar / restaurant (River Drivers Restaurant) with delicious appetizers, soups, sandwiches and full meals.

Note: for people who rely on cell phones; coverage was pretty good in Millinocket but drops off as you approach Twin Pines. There is WiFi throughout most cabins, but I found the signal strength to be weak to non-existent in our cabin (in Winter). I had no cell coverage from the cabin either (Verizon) and some of my ATT friends experienced the same. In order to check in with my wife and tell her the stories of all I saw while exploring the outdoors, I went to the lodge building where WiFi was very strong and where I was able to obtain VZW cell service as they have a Verizon Network Extender in the building.

Definitely recommend Twin Pine Camps and the New England Outdoor Center, Summer or Winter, for couples, families or groups of friends who want to get away and into a semi-remote area in the northern New England wilderness.

Room Tip: All cabins are near and or have a view of the lake. It is hard to believe that there is a bad place...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
6 Thank Lyndy B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We loved staying at NEOC in July of 2012. Our cabin, Little Mud was just right for the 4 of us. It had a great view of Millinocket Lake and Katahdin. The restaurant on-site was far better than one would think for it's location. Weekend nights had at least an hour wait. The food was fabulous. They even catered to our very early breakfast request so we could get to our hike very early. Worth going to NEOC just for River Driver's restaurant. The proximity to Baxter State Park was good too. We hiked Katahdin and were extremely tired when we got back to the car and were very happy we didn't have to drive any farther to where we were staying. After the hike we were all very hungry but too tired to eat in the restaurant, so we got food to go and ate in our cabin. Wished we could have stayed here longer. Lots to do on-site, some paid, some free: canoeing, kayaking, horseshoes, basketball, badminton/volleyball, fishing, hiking, pontoon boat tours, swimming (if you can stand the cold water); activity center with hot tub, board games, ping pong, TV. And probably I have missed listing some things.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Cheri-inAcworth
MA
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I am reluctant to write this review because this place should be kept a secret! However, we were so pleased by the service and setting this place offered that I feel compelled to give credit to NEOC, the River Driver Restaurant and staff for the vision and outstanding job that they are doing in thoughtfully developing and managing this extraordinary place. Kudos to you!

We stayed at Twin Pine Cabins at NEOC for two nights in mid July, 2013. And two nights was definitely way too short! We were a group of 10 split between two cabins, Big Mud and the Guides Cabin. At the time of booking these were the only two cabins available for the nights we were going to be in the area during a family/friend white-water rafting trip. Prior to arriving at Twin Pines we had been staying at the Forks, while white-water rafting the Kennebec River. We thought that that area was spectacular until we arrived at Twin Pines, NEOC, which immediately took our breath away. Half the group were familiar with this area and knew that the rest of us were in for a treat, but it was beyond our imagination; even beautiful pictures cannot do this area justice. The grounds were natural and lovely and the scenery majestic. Even though one full day was occupied with with white-water rafting on the Penobscot and a pre-planned dinner for that evening, we were fortunate on the day of arrival to have time to enjoy the canoes and kayaks on the lake, which offered an incredibly peaceful and scenic experience. We felt as if we were taking a step back in time. In the evening we had some competitive games of ping pong in the rec room. My only recommendation there is that new paddles and attention to the ping pong table would be nice! They seem to get significant use.

My husband and I are sailors and predominantly ocean people, but we definitely would spend time away from the sea to be in this location. Even though the Guides Cabin was older and a bit "cozy" for our group and had some humorous quirks it was clean and essentially worked well for us and did not deter from out short stay. When we noticed that at screen was missing in one of the bedroom windows, once reported, it was quickly replaced. We have however booked Premium cabins, with more space and updated amenities, for a full week next summer.

Before arriving at Twin Pines I had contacted Shorey in regards to planning a dinner for ten at the River Driver Restaurant to celebrate this family/friend gathering, a Birthday and in anticipation of our daughters engagement, which she was tearfully and happily surprised by. The restaurant did an outstanding job! We appreciated the patient and attentive staff, delicious meal, which everyone in the party continues to comment about, and the lovely extra touches! It was a most memorable evening and we were gifted with a glorious sunset. What a perfect celebratory back drop!

Since that time our daughter and fiance have chosen and booked this site for their wedding next summer and we could not be more thrilled. We look forward to our return to Twin Pine Camps, and working with Shorey, the staff at NEOC and the River Driver Restaurant once again! Thank you so much!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank littlebenn
Bath, ME
Reviewed 21 January 2013

Just back from a weekend snowmobiling in the Katahdin Region. Our group of 5 stayed in Partridge, one of the new Coveside Cabins. The building was beautiful and spotless - three bedrooms, two baths, full kitchen, satellite TV and wi-fi. The parking is convenient, especially when you consider our group had three vehicles and trailers. Staff is unfailingly friendly and helpful.
Had two meals at Riverdriver's Restaurant. Both were very well prepared and an excellent value.
This is about as good as it gets when you're visiting the north woods.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bob M
Not In New Orleans Anymore!
Reviewed 9 September 2012

We are here on our last night at Twin Pines Camps, a part of the New England Outdoor Center. Our vacation, with children ages 12, 11, 9 and 7 and been like a dream.

On our first night, we opted for an overnight campout, hosted Matt Polstein, owner of the camp. Matt took us by boat to Sandy Stream, a sandy island in the middle of Millinocket Lake. There, he had canoes, kayaks, and boats set up for us to use and explore. He also brought his two sons, who fished with our kids, and showed them the best rocks in the lake for jumping.

While my husband and I swam and paddled, Matt prepared a feast of steak, lobster, local corn, potatoes, and Maine micro-brews. For dessert, we had Ooey-Gooey. I won't share that secret! You'll need to come try it for yourself!

After we sat by the fire for a spell, we retired to our tents, which Matt had also set up. I was almost too full to sleep!

We spend the rest of our days here relaxing at the camp, hiking in Baxter State Park, fishing, and White water rafting. We had a ball. Truly memorable in so many ways!!

There are two different options for the camps. You can stay in the "old school" cabins, which will remind you of the cabins of long ago, or you can stay (as we did) in the brand new, LEED certified, environmentally exemplary Coveside Cabins. Our kitchen was equipped and modern, and the Hannaford grocery store in town was as well stocked as the Whole Foods or Trader Joe's in my hometown. No lie!

If you like to eat out, there is a highly regarded, rustic, friendly restaurant on the camp called River Drivers.

There is a glorious view of Mt. Katadhin here. We spend our evenings swimming off of the docks, watching the sun set over Baxter State Park.

A word about the customer service: wonderful. Everyone here was so friendly. The pastry chef even made me two pie crusts so that I could make pies from the berries that we picked on our hikes. The kitchen lent us pots to steam our lobsters.

Matt Polstein, our host, was so laid back, knowledgeable and friendly. You can tell that he really sets the tone here - because the employees were all that way too!

I hesitate to publish this review, out of fear that the camp might become too popular for our return next summer - but we plan on coming back again and again to this special place.

Forget Bar Harbor...this is the Maine that you always wanted to visit!

Thanks Matt!!! We'll be back!!!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank uptownnolagirl
Maine
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We just returned from a three night stay at Twin Pine Camps. We had exceptional service from the staff, a lovely cabin, "Little Mud, which had a spectacular view of Katahdin and Millinocket Lake. But as advertised, this is a cabin so if you're expecting plush this isn't the place for you. We enjoyed a fun afternoon with a boat rental from Twin Pine Camps, we venturedt across the lake to a nice sand beach, warm water, it was a great stay. We didn't eat at the restaurant, the Wi-Fi is spotty at the cabin but we weren't there to sit on the computer all afternoon. Relaxing, excellent staff, I highly recommend a stay at the Twin Pine Camps.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Farawaygirl
Reviewed 23 July 2012

There were bugs every where in are room. Holes in sheets and curtains. The swing sets were broken the hot tub was broken there is no cell phone service wifi Stinks. The restaurant had flys dropping into are food. It always rained. The life jackets were probably never washed they smelled really bad. My cousin's cabin had a mouse in it. It was really gross.

• Stayed July 2012
Matt P, Owner at Twin Pine Camps at New England Outdoor Center, responded to this review, 27 July 2012
Thank you for your thoughtful review of your stay with us. My immediate reaction on reading it was why is this so out of sync with the feeling most of our guest leave with; is it real? Having said that I personally helped, I assume your cousin, with a mouse problem last week and so I was able to do some research on what unit you likely stayed in relative to your comments below. On the subject of the mouse, we live in a truly spectacular wilderness setting, and included in that picture are a host of wild animals. Moose and even a black bear or two have wandered right through the middle of our camps, geese, and racoons also frequent the area. While infrequent visitors in side camps, a field mouse or even a squirrel, common in our neck of the woods, can find its way inside. If we can, we gently help them back out. If not more drastic steps are taken.

On the rest of your review, I will take the issues you raised as you raised them and as you have only given me clues as to some of the concerns you had, I will guess where I am not sure. My first assumption is that you stayed in a cabin called Bug Mud, and I have just returned from giving it a through review. I did not find a bug anywhere in the cabin and can only assume that either you were referring to the bugs one finds outdoors or that insects were attracted to a light in the evening and then came in through an open door. All of the screens appear in fine shape and were present as required.
I did find a small hole in one curtain and found the curtains to be faded from the sun and in need of update, but otherwise in good shape. We will be making new ones in the next few weeks and have already replaced the one with the hole. I am confident that we did not and would never put sheets with holes in them on a bed and instead assume that your comment really speaks to some very small pulls in the outside layer of the soft vellux blankets that cover the beds. I did also find a half inch tear in one of the blankets. We had just received new Vellux blankets and are replacing them as needed on an on going basis. You can count on the one with the small tear being replaced.

As for the hot tub, and the swing set, I am puzzled. All are working and have been working short of brief down time for maintenance or cleaning as required. Our hot tub has jets run by a dial on the wall distant from the tub, perhaps you couldn't didn't find it. Wifi can be a challenge in some cabins but we offer a strong fast connection in our common areas, restaurant and bar and your cell phone works there as well.

As for your comment that it always rained, that is one area I have no control over, but on reflection, we are in the midst of on of the most glorious runs of weather we have seen in years. All the rain we have seen since late June has come in brief but intense thunder showers followed buy glorious sunshine and hot days sometimes with high humidity! Most guests have loved it, as have we! The humidity likely has generated a need for a good washing of our life jackets and that is being taken care of!

In closing, please know that while we always want to be informed of things that impact the quality of your stay, we can best address them and assure your satisfaction if you let us know while you are here! We are thrilled that you found our scenery and site outstanding and think, short of managing the rain, we can make any future stay here just as good. Thank you.