“A Wonderful Celebration”

The White Horse Inn
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Calne, England, United Kingdom
“A Wonderful Celebration”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

The 7th June is our Wedding Anniversary and we knew just where to go for a fabulous meal.

We weren't disappointed! The staff really know how to make you welcome and we had a relaxing drink in the bar before going through for an amazing meal. We shared asparagus grilled to perfection with Parma ham and a poached egg in the best hollandaise sauce ever and an intriguing smoked haddock and cod scotch egg! We both chose the fillet of beef wrapped in a wild mushroom mousse with fondant potato, wilted spinach and a delicious wild mushroom and red wine jus. The beef melted in the mouth and the flavour of the surrounding mousse was exquisite. Once again our plates were spotless before we concluded with a dark chocolate and Grand Marnier mousse with a blood orange sorbet and for my wife a superb praline parfait which had flavour, texture.Both desserts were stunningly presented as well as to taste. We returned to the bar to share a local cheese board and chat to some of the locals before sadly going home.

We could not have had a better celebratory meal and one which we shall remember for a long time to come. The only sad face was on our yellow Labrador when he realised that there was no doggy bag as every last scrap had been eaten!!!!

• Visited June 2014

London, United Kingdom
“Look no further”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2014

Food and service was all great. We picked our way through the bar on entering as there was a large group in. We sat down for dinner just before them which may have helped but the service was so friendly and attentive all night the other table of 16 might not have been there.

Swindon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The first of many visits I hope to The White Horse at Compton Bassett”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited The White Horse at Compton Bassett for the first time last Saturday evening. It was highly recommended by our next door neighbours as the best pub food in the area. Well it most certainly didn't disappoint. We were really impressed by the really friendly and efficient staff and Tara the front of house was so friendly and professional. We only really wanted a simple meal as it was a last minute decision and we did get the very last table in the whole pub. We were served an amuse bouche to start with which was delicious and some homemade rolls which were equally delicious. Then I had the fish Scotch egg which was so original and I really really enjoyed it. I then had a yummy homemade burger and chips in a home baked roll and my husband had the sausages. All was yummy scrummy - we were too full to have puds so I just had a coffee which came with some delightful petit fours. All washed down with a beautiful bottle of merlot. We were very happy with our meal, our wine, the ambience, the staff and the service. I could not fault it. We will definitely go back soon. I am very envious of anyone living in Compton Bassett to have such a fabulous restaurant on their doorstep. If I lived in C B I would go there often! Thank you Tara and staff for a lovely evening.

Devizes, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went back to the White Horse after a break of over a year.
Food still as excellent as ever.
The homemade cheeseburger, has a wonderful texture and taste.
My friends who were on holiday here, had the homemade sausage and Fish and chips, both said it was the best they had tasted, recommendation in it's self as they eat out in London.
Now I live nearer we will be back.

Calne
“The White Horse Inn Remains Excellent Value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

Last year I took my parents to the wonderful White Horse Inn at Compton Bassett and this year I took my Aunty and Uncle who are no strangers to fine dining! They loved it. Once again we opted for Sunday roast and once again were presented with vegetables so real I could imagine them being prepared, soft and tender beef and of course, the unforgettable giant yorkshire pudding. Prior to that we had starters that were so beautifully presented that they were as pretty as the deserts and I can still taste the delicately creamy mushroom soup and the melting croutons which were a perfect introduction and did not make me feel full prior to the main course. I finished off with the most divine sticky toffee pudding which was also beautifully presented so as not to overwhelm. I just cannot imagine how anyone could say that The White Horse Inn is over-priced. It represents excellent value for money and most importantly the food is fresh and genuinely home-cooked. Surely when you go out to eat you want to feel as if you are being treated as opposed to feeling that it would have been better to stay at home and cook as sadly is so often the case - but not with the White Horse! I cannot recommend this special place strongly enough. I am currently thinking of reasons to return very soon.