“Lovely place for a spot of lunch”

The White Horse Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Gastropub in the heart of the Wiltshire countryside. Using local ingredients largely sourced from within the village of Compton Bassett we prepare a range of dishes from pub classics to seasonal specials all prepared on site daily.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Called in mid week for a light lunch and was not disappointed. A beautiful building in some stunning countryside. It looks as if it has not long been re decorated and to a high standard. Service was efficient and good. Home made pork pie for a starter was delightful. Can't wait to try it for supper.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

The 7th June is our Wedding Anniversary and we knew just where to go for a fabulous meal.

We weren't disappointed! The staff really know how to make you welcome and we had a relaxing drink in the bar before going through for an amazing meal. We shared asparagus grilled to perfection with Parma ham and a poached egg in the best hollandaise sauce ever and an intriguing smoked haddock and cod scotch egg! We both chose the fillet of beef wrapped in a wild mushroom mousse with fondant potato, wilted spinach and a delicious wild mushroom and red wine jus. The beef melted in the mouth and the flavour of the surrounding mousse was exquisite. Once again our plates were spotless before we concluded with a dark chocolate and Grand Marnier mousse with a blood orange sorbet and for my wife a superb praline parfait which had flavour, texture.Both desserts were stunningly presented as well as to taste. We returned to the bar to share a local cheese board and chat to some of the locals before sadly going home.

We could not have had a better celebratory meal and one which we shall remember for a long time to come. The only sad face was on our yellow Labrador when he realised that there was no doggy bag as every last scrap had been eaten!!!!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Food and service was all great. We picked our way through the bar on entering as there was a large group in. We sat down for dinner just before them which may have helped but the service was so friendly and attentive all night the other table of 16 might not have been there.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We visited The White Horse at Compton Bassett for the first time last Saturday evening. It was highly recommended by our next door neighbours as the best pub food in the area. Well it most certainly didn't disappoint. We were really impressed by the really friendly and efficient staff and Tara the front of house was so friendly and professional. We only really wanted a simple meal as it was a last minute decision and we did get the very last table in the whole pub. We were served an amuse bouche to start with which was delicious and some homemade rolls which were equally delicious. Then I had the fish Scotch egg which was so original and I really really enjoyed it. I then had a yummy homemade burger and chips in a home baked roll and my husband had the sausages. All was yummy scrummy - we were too full to have puds so I just had a coffee which came with some delightful petit fours. All washed down with a beautiful bottle of merlot. We were very happy with our meal, our wine, the ambience, the staff and the service. I could not fault it. We will definitely go back soon. I am very envious of anyone living in Compton Bassett to have such a fabulous restaurant on their doorstep. If I lived in C B I would go there often! Thank you Tara and staff for a lovely evening.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Went back to the White Horse after a break of over a year.
Food still as excellent as ever.
The homemade cheeseburger, has a wonderful texture and taste.
My friends who were on holiday here, had the homemade sausage and Fish and chips, both said it was the best they had tasted, recommendation in it's self as they eat out in London.
Now I live nearer we will be back.