“Good atmosphere, attentive staff, superb food”

The White Horse Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Gastropub in the heart of the Wiltshire countryside. Using local ingredients largely sourced from within the village of Compton Bassett we prepare a range of dishes from pub classics to seasonal specials all prepared on site daily.
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Good atmosphere, attentive staff, superb food”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This was my first visit to The White Horse and it will not be my last. We were made to feel welcome and the service was friendly and efficient. I enjoyed a delicious vegetarian ginger and roast pepper risotto - it sounds a strange combination but was one of the best risottos I have ever tasted. Although there was only one vegetarian dish on the bar menu and one on the main menu, the landlady told me they would be happy to adapt any dish for me.

• Visited July 2014

Colerne, UK
“Success where others fail!”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

We had been recommended to visit The White Horse Inn by friends. It's a 'destination' pub rather than somewhere you would see when driving on main routes. In fact if it hadn't been recommended we would never have known about it. However on the strength of the recommendation I decided to have our wedding anniversary dinner there (very risky!).

We arrived on a sunny evening. We were early and our table wasn't ready so we had a pre-dinner glass of fizz in the pretty garden. When our table was ready one of the staff came out to let us know and take us to the table. The décor of the both the bar and restaurant is modern but in keeping with the character of the pub (Farrow and Ball my wife informed me!). The menu was imaginative and limited, but that is a good sign in my view - means the ingredients are fresh. Everything is made from scratch by the chef/owner including the bread. The 'pub grub' menu is great, but we went for the a la carte. The service was both efficient and friendly. All staff were helpful, smiling and made us feel as though we were regulars. The food was excellent in both quality of ingredients and execution. By the end of our meal the restaurant was full and the only tables available were outside. This is obviously a very popular place. They now have another convert!

I have been to several 'gastro-pubs' with ambitious menus and they don't deliver. The White Horse Inn does, and I have no hesitation in recommending them for a casual lunch to a more formal occasion.

• Visited June 2014
Menlo Park, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“good food, slow service”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The food was good, we had vegetarian meal (hard to put together but we succeeded) The spinach was great! However we waited 45 minutes to be served.

Visited June 2014
Skövde, Västra Götaland, Sweden
“Nice evening with good food and quiz”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Good food, service and atmosphere. The evening ended with a quiz were we ended up in second place. Not bad as we are from Sweden.
Stefan and Agneta with Stefan and Johanna

• Visited August 2013
Jupiter, Florida
“Good food and great atmosphere”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

The White Horse Inn combines the warmth of a local pub with high quality menu selections. I had trouble deciding between the lamb chops or the duck. The duck won out with a raspberry sauce over beets and creamy potatoes.

Visited June 2014