“If you only go out for dinner once a year you must go to the White Horse”

The White Horse Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Gastropub in the heart of the Wiltshire countryside. Using local ingredients largely sourced from within the village of Compton Bassett we prepare a range of dishes from pub classics to seasonal specials all prepared on site daily.
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

If you are looking for a good meal the White Horse is not for you. If you are looking for that special place that delights you with one of the best meals of your life then you must eat here! The staff are fantastic and Tara runs front of house with such passion and enthusiasm that it is infectious. The choice of enticements on the menu may seem like an impossible decision but with the knowledgable staff to make suggestions (they have tasted each delight) you simply cannot go wrong. My advice is to be adventurous and if someone recommends balsamic ice cream just go with it!
Danny is behind the scenes and is a wizard of gastronomy. His ability to combine flavours is on a par with any of the celebrity chefs.
I have a problem here as I live just a few miles away and could easily pop in for lunch every day but I want to keep this as my special place... Oh what the heck I'll be back as often as my conscience will allow! Thank you for one of the best meals that I have ever had. And I nearly forgot - Katie, you're a star and you put up with me above and beyond the call of duty!

1  Thank Mark L
There are newer reviews for The White Horse Inn

Reviewed 8 August 2014

We dined here for our wedding anniversary dinner, having had great meals here on previous occasions. The Landlady either recognised us from previous visits, maybe a year ago as we do not live near this pub or greets all her guests incredibly warmly. The restaurant is tasteful and has a lovely atmosphere. We were served by Toby who was an absolute delight, warm, friendly and efficient. We were surprised by an amuse bouche of pea and truffle soup in a cup which was delicious and accompanied by freshly baked mediterranean breads. The starter of asparagus wrapped in parma ham couldn't have been better and the duck with beetroot jus and dauphinoise was perfectly cooked and seasoned. The Amaretto and ginger parfait was a little wanting with neither a hint of ginger or amaretto but pleasant enough. Cheese board tasty but a little expensive. Overall a great meal and we are "White Horse" converts. One to definitely recommend.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We were fortunate to be taken to this gem of a place by two dear friends who visit us each year from Holland. A treat indeed to find a pub which is unpretentious, charming and with owners who care passionately about customer service and the product they create. Tara and her husband are a wonderful team, complimenting each other in the kitchen and in the bar/ restaurant with their respective skill base. Our party was six in total, 4 adults, a teenager and a youngster. We were greeted warmly by Tara and showed through the bar, which was surprisingly busy for early on a Thursday evening, through to our table in the restaurant. This was beautifully laid up with sparklingly clean wine glasses and cutlery and stunning flowers just behind us. Table service was prompt and efficient with smiling staff at hand to cater for our every need. A children's menu was offered for our youngest daughter, who then proceeded to chose a starter from the A La Carte menu and a main from the Children's ...no problem at all. Each dish was beautifully presented, which for me is really important as I "eat with my eyes" and was delighted that the taste and flavours matched the presentation. The wine list was good and the rose chosen perfect for a summer evening. We will return and would highly recommend this venue to any one wanting a quality dinning experience. Thank you!!

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

I've attempted to book a table here on several occasions a few days in advance but often they only have early and late table availability. On this occasion we decided to go anyway and take the last table in the bar at 8.30. A couple of miles off the main road between Lyneham and Calne and we came to a lovely village Inn with plenty of parking (deep gravel ... not the easiest for heels, pushchairs or wheelchairs - but you could drop off/pick up passengers on firmer ground in front of the entrance). The Inn also has a sizeable grassed area with a few benches. We were warmly greeted by the staff and landlady. The bar area is compact but tables are generally a good size so it doesn't feel cramped. We got drinks at the bar and sat down. Staff indicated orders would be taken at the table. After 5 mins or so we thought we had misunderstood and went back to the bar. We were not allowed menus! but within a few minutes the landlady joined us at the table to explain the menu. The menu was not extensive but their was something for everyone (I recall only one vegetarian main?). We ordered 2 pork pie starters ... a slice on a bed of leaves with pickled veg in a side dish. Suprisingly light and very tasty. Following was 1 ribeye with home made chips, 1 pork with red cabbage and mash and two rack of lamb. All were beautifully presented, cooked perfectly and the flavours well balanced, portion sizes perfect. We couldnt manage dessert but the choice was varied. Two very small criticisms ...not enough of the beautiful crackling (please don't lay it in the gravy, crackling could become soggy :( ) and the homemade mayo recipe needs a little more 'bite' - it was lacking in flavour. All in all we had 6 (or 8?) pts beer, 2 glasses of wine, 2 soft drinks, 2 starters and 4 main courses totalling approx 130 gbp - well worth it. Lovely welcome, decor, service (after initial hiccup) and ambience. Will definitely be going back. Tip ... Book early to avoid disappointment!

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Excellent all round. My second visit service and food both top class. I couldn't fault it. The waiter was both friendly and attentive, thanks Toby.