The White Horse Inn
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Duke Hotel(Hilmarton)
View Hotel
The Wiltshire(Royal Wootton Bassett)
View Hotel
Bell House Hotel(Sutton Benger)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsthe pubb bsunday lunchfabulous foodporklocal producepanna cottablack puddingfirst classfrench doorspatio areahigh standardcouldn't faultwiltshire countrysidean evening meallittle toucheslandlady
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We booked this room a few days before we travelled via LateRooms & saved £25. It's very close to Avebury Circle which is where we were headed the next day. It really is lovely, out in the countryside very little light pollution so we were treated to a beautiful starry sky which added to our sense of tranquility. The Inn is old, modern, tasteful decor & feels very cosy. We arrived late & were quite stressed & hungry. Our "host" diminished our stresses by suggesting that check in could wait until we had our meal & even though we were very close to last orders, there was no sense of rush or hurry from any of the staff. We enjoyed a very dinner, fresh produce with a slight twist (but not outlandish), nice choice of wines & really fresh & tasty champagne sorbet to clear the palate.
Our ground floor room was light & spacious: set apart from the Inn itself in a converted barn. The only caveat was the dressing table at the foot of a very comfortable "sled" bed, which required careful negotiation in the dark in order to get to the bathroom: the presence of a single bed suggests this is a "family" room & account for the interesting location of the dressing table? We were given good verbal & written instructions regarding the heating which was really helpful. The bathroom was clean & pleasant, although I do have some concerns about the lack of a wall mounted rail to aid exit & entry to the bath/shower, especially as a non-slip mat wasnt provided. The tiled floor was also VERY cold underfoot first thing. French doors leading on to a patio area was a real plus (imagine more so in the warmer weather). It overlooks a paddock complete with a natural spring that lends the calming effects of bubbling water to the overall sense of peace. I was woken by a Dawn Chorus which was gloriously lovely! Breakfast was nearly perfect: let down by store sliced white pap (we had fresh bread rolls the night before) & funny tasting baked beans?? Staff were all very pleasant & friendly & so calm! The location is perfect for Avebury, Stonehenge, Siluris & more. Just lovely.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2014

If I tell you all about its perfect location, warm welcome, fantastic restaurant with fine food and perfectly cooked breakfast, then it will become even harder to book in than it already is!

Seriously though, among the best of the best in Wiltshire.

Room Tip: Check in is not until 6pm so be sure to plan for that.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ImpBublinky
Reviewed 21 February 2014

What can I say, the whole lunch experience was perfect. The staff were excellent. The food was fantastic and presented beautifully. We can't praise it enough and will certainly be going back to eat there and tell all our family and friends about it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2014

A party of us dined here not too long ago and it was fabulous from start to finish. The service was timely and friendly. We all had something different over three courses and the food was great. I must admit the second visit was not good so lacks consistency perhaps but I wanted to write about the first visit because it really was faultless. I am hoping the second visit was a blip so that I maye return to enjoy a third visit as much as the first.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The white horse inn Compton Basset, nothing that wrong with the place , it's functions well the evening staff are v. friendly the food acceptable , the room clean.....
but these days is that enough ?

It's seems owners have turned their passion into a business and inadvertently corners were cut.

-The place is fine but I struggle to furnish my description with any superlatives if the budget was expanded just a little on the bedroom and ensuite fittings ..stretching to tiles rather than Lino ..hard wood rather than pine..I might be more enthusiastic.
Breakfast was billed as award winning ( a mistake setting the bar so high ) I was greeted by a youth with 'alright mate' and that was as good as it got. I guessing he must have been a temp from catering college who's only experience of catering was KFC.
The food mirrored the greeting
Sorry for my lack of enthusiasm.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business