“Twenty years ang going strong”
Review of Trailing Yew

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monhegan Island
Trailing Yew
Reviewed 25 July 2011

This past week was my 23d year's stay at the Yew. I went there in 1988, and have never considered staying anywhere else. Of course, from year to year, food and staff vary a little, and some years both are better than in other years. On the whole, however, this is one of my husband's and my favorite places on earth. It is clearly not for everyone. (If you like things fancy, elegant, and thoroughly modern--don't even think of coming here. And if you want to be sequestered in a very private place with soundproof walls and ceilings, don't come here either.) On the other hand, if you like the feeling of going back in time--AND you enjoy meeting fascinating people from all over the world (literally), hearing good (free) folk music every other night or so on the porch, and enjoying simple but ample and delicious food at breakfast and dinner--this is a terrific place, and surely a bargain. Marion and her staff (mostly, but not all, college kids on-island for the summer) are exceptionally kind, and will go out of their way to be helpful. (They will also remember you from year to year.) There are lovely rustic gardens surrounding the main building, a horseshoe pit, and adirondack chairs that face the surf. What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: The rooms vary a great deal in size, location, and amenities. I'd call and ask a staffer what is...
6  Thank revrocknrye

Reviewed 15 July 2011

The review from my 11-year-old, who spent the night at the Yew with my husband: "Overall a nice hotel and excellent food. It has a very nice location, with a good view of the rest of the village." Marion, the owner, was very pleasant and easy to deal with in setting up the reservation. The included dinner ("Thanksgiving dinner" every Thursday) and breakfast (homemade donuts!) received big thumbs up. My son and husband went hiking, so the hotel staff held some dinner for them. My husband described it as a "good Maine island experience"--the building that they stayed in had 12 rooms that shared a bathroom, and their room had single beds. The Trailing Yew does not accept credit cards.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Maybeinerror
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We recently had the most incredible experience dinning at Trailing Yew while on Monhegan Island.
The "family style seating" afforded us an opportunity to break bread with a fascinating group of people. As it was a Thurs night Thanksgiving Dinner was the choice of all at our table. My better half and I opted for the lobster dinner instead. It was absolutely delicious.
Margie our server and hostess was a gem ! Did I mention Karen who played Dulcimer on the porch as we arrived for dinner?
Make no mistake. Trailing Yew is a must when you are on Monhegan Island !

4  Thank yanks105
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I have stayed a total of three times at the TY. It is a step back into time - not just because of the lamps and lights - but because you are there to unhurriedly enjoy Monhegan Island. The communal aspect for meals is really neat - have met people from all over the world and US. The menu is varied and very satisfying. All the home-made elements are truly so. All of the staff is very cordial - from making arrangments, to having your bags schlepped up to the Inn, to the wait-staff. I will be back again this summer to paint.

Room Tip: explain your wants/needs to the reservationist
3  Thank SouthEndGuy
Reviewed 18 June 2011

The rooms are basic but clean, the shared bathrooms were not a problem, we never had to compete with anyone. The shower was hot and plentiful. The kerosene lamplight (no electricity in our room) wasn't conducive to reading but we had brought battery operated reading lights.
The communal meals were generous (too generous if you're trying to be prudent) and well prepared. Fresh donuts and muffins are always offered at breakfast as well as cooked and dry cereals and eggs and bacon or sausage.
The village shops have fabulous sandwiches and pizza for lunches and dinners at the Trailing Yew are like old fashioned home cooking. Each features a meat/poultry or fish as choices.
Marion, the owner was a lifesaver when I discovered that I'd left an important medication at home. She arranged for someone to pick up a prescription from a mainland pharmacy, transport it to the ferry, and then to the island.
If 4 or 5 star hotels are your choice, this isn't for you but if you'd like a bit of authentic Maine experience, the Trailing Yew is a great place.

Room Tip: If electricity is a must, ask for it.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank lmdja
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I've stayed at this place twice. The first time, alone and in need of that..I was pretty charmed by the little room in the main house. No electricity, just an oil lamp, it was like going back in time 100 years. The second time, my girlfriend and I stayed in one of the little hut-like accomodations, and it was simply awful. The bed was incredibly uncomfortable, and worse, the sheets and blankets were musty and pungent..the odor alone kept me up all night. Bathroom, outside in another building...walking at night in dewey grass and then getting back into that awful bed, yuck. The next day, the clanging bell alerts you to breakfast, and you better not be late..these people are puritans, it's like going to church in the 17th century. During the day, all these oddballs are hanging around. Let me tell you, Monhegan Island is full of humorless, puritanical, weirdos..the vibe is very strange there. And I can tolerate oddballs, but I at least want them to take things in stride. The folks in Monhegan Island are running away from the 21st century, and who can blame them? But they are also quite un-inviting..and perhaps that's also the result of a non-stop influx of day-visitors ferried in to sustain their themepark economy. I live in Maine, and I'd recommend the Casco Bay islands over this. Go to Chebeague, just as pretty without all the attitude.

Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
12  Thank menkel
Reviewed 9 September 2009

My impressions of staffers ranged from meeting some truly wonderful people to a difficult staffer (a young guy). We spent 2 nights there in late August with my family and my mother. Staffers were very accommodating of my mother's walking difficulties, giving her rides to and from the lodging. I had spoken to the owner about my mother's condition beforehand. (Note: I don't advise anyone else bringing an older parent who can't walk to this island. The only plus to having my ailing mother there was that she spent some time with the kids.)

On the negative side, if you are a light sleeper, avoid the room in the main building that is above the kitchen. I was assured by the owner that the kitchen/dining area is quiet after dinner hours, but I was awoken both nights by staffers who were raiding the kitchen. One was particularly loud and unapologetic, insulted that I should ask him how long he planned to stay in the kitchen. (And here I am paying over $400/night for 5 people.) I also didn't appreciate the staffers who staked out the area of the porch that everyone needs to walk through to get to the next building. I am a former Mainer. I expected that people living on an island like this would have realized many years ago that most visitors prefer to avoid cigarette smoke. (There was no smoking area that I could see, although thankfully, there are many no smoking requests on the trails.) In addition to hearing staffers raiding the kitchen the last night, another staffer and some friends at 3am decided to have a little party in the adjoining building.

So, other than having 2 nights of interrupted sleep and the smoke, the stay was reasonably pleasant. If you sleep like a log, you should have no trouble with the room above the kitchen (which is warmer than the other rooms, a potential bonus this time of the year). The food was homey and mostly good, although staffers should avoid overcooking the haddock. Hikers should be aware that the signs on the trails are small.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank ptrjmaltd

Been to Trailing Yew? Share your experiences!