“A step back in time”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Trailing Yew

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Monhegan Island
Trailing Yew
NYC
“A step back in time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

The trailing yew is a bit like an old fashioned rustic summer camp for adults. Shared bathrooms, communal dining, no privacy but a warm and welcoming environment. The other guests were bright , warm down to earth nature lovers, artists and others seeking a peaceful quiet getaway at a low price. It's basic , the food average, the beds basic but comfortable but there is a sense of community that develops and as one woman said where else can I go as a single woman and walk alone in the woods. No matter how basic the rooms are and medicore food. People come back for 20 years each summer. Our favorite thing to do after painting all day was the nights venture to go and see the amazing sunsets!

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank gail w

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

This year marked my 15th time vacationing on Monhegan Island. Each time I have stayed at the Trailing Yew. Not only it is the best value on the island, it also offers the best experience possible.

I love the rustic nature of the island and the inn. I suggest reading up on the island and being prepared. I think many people have less than wonderful experiences because they are not prepared. Bring a range of clothes--hat and clothes, even in June, might be a good idea.

First and foremost, JUST RELAX. Turn off the cell phone--you won't get good service if you get any service at all.

The Trailing Yew offers very nice rooms with very basic amenities. I've been staying in the same room for years and sleep better at the Trailing Yew than I do at home with the sound of ocean waves and wind to lull me to sleep.

Breakfast and dinner at the Yew must be experienced. It can range from a quiet small group to packed, loud rooms of happy guests. Food is plentiful and awesome. Every morning, you'll find coffee and tea on the porch at an early hour. Breakfast consists of fresh made donuts, fresh muffins, hot and cold cereals, eggs, bacon, toast. Dinner always offers two choices, the meat of the day or fish. Thursdays are special with Thanksgiving dinner. Desserts are not to be passed over.

I read all the reviews and have to laugh at some of them. Someone commented about odd people hanging around. People live and work on the island....where should they hang out? It's their home. In my experience, these odd people offer the best insights and the best (hi)stories of the island. I also met a great group of other guests and we now plan our vacations so that we are all there at the same time.

Overall, Monhegan and the Trailing Yew are not just places one goes for vacation. Monhegan and the Trailing Yew are total experiences and I look forward to my annual visit.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank TRJ1963
Bath, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2011

My sisters and I came over from New Harbor on the early ferry so we had almost 2 full days on the island. We were met at the dock by the Inn's truck, our bags were driven to the inn and we walked up - less than 10 minutes. Monhegan is really laid back, it is a place for rejuvenation, not a place to go to be entertained. The locals are lovely people who willingly share their island with people who show it, and them, the respect they deserve. You need to understand Monhegan and how it works, and you will have a perfectly wonderful stay. None of the places that serve food serve alcohol, but you can buy it in several locations and bring it to the table, or give it to the inn to bring to you at dinner. There are no street lights, so flash lights are handy to have. Galleries aren't always open because the artists are out painting and enjoying the island themselves, but there is a map of the galleries and the hours they are open. There are great places for meals, and the Trailing Yew serves a wonderful dinner and breakfast, both of which are included in the price. The evening meal offered baked haddock with a fresh fruit salsa or meatloaf, or lobster if ordered earlier in the day. (Extra charge for lobster). Breakfast was choice of oatmeal, eggs any way, homemade, fresh doughnuts, toast, sausage, juice, fruit and great coffee.The three of us had 2 rooms in the Main building- electricity in the hallways, kerosene lanterns in the living room and bedrooms. The bathroom is shared with the other rooms on the second floor, the rooms were simple and clean with a lovely breeze coming in from the ocean. My bed was a bit firmer than I prefer, but with the cool air while the rest of the world was steaming, it was a pretty restful night. I was really impressed with the quality and variety of items available at the store- and given the effort, time and expense of getting things from the mainland to the market, the prices were reasonable.
We took two great hikes, interspersed with visits to galleries, beaches, a bit of gelato, and lunch.
The main trail around the perimeter is well marked, the interior ones had a few glitches, but with the island only a mile wide, it is pretty hard to get lost- turned around maybe, but not lost, especially with the $1 trail map that is sold on the ferry, proceeds going to trail maintenance.
I plan to return with my flashlight, a stack of books, a camera, good pair of shoes, and time on my hands. This is what Monhegan Island is all about.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank Elizabeth K
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

This past week was my 23d year's stay at the Yew. I went there in 1988, and have never considered staying anywhere else. Of course, from year to year, food and staff vary a little, and some years both are better than in other years. On the whole, however, this is one of my husband's and my favorite places on earth. It is clearly not for everyone. (If you like things fancy, elegant, and thoroughly modern--don't even think of coming here. And if you want to be sequestered in a very private place with soundproof walls and ceilings, don't come here either.) On the other hand, if you like the feeling of going back in time--AND you enjoy meeting fascinating people from all over the world (literally), hearing good (free) folk music every other night or so on the porch, and enjoying simple but ample and delicious food at breakfast and dinner--this is a terrific place, and surely a bargain. Marion and her staff (mostly, but not all, college kids on-island for the summer) are exceptionally kind, and will go out of their way to be helpful. (They will also remember you from year to year.) There are lovely rustic gardens surrounding the main building, a horseshoe pit, and adirondack chairs that face the surf. What more can you ask for?

Room Tip: The rooms vary a great deal in size, location, and amenities. I'd call and ask a staffer what is...
6 Thank revrocknrye
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

The review from my 11-year-old, who spent the night at the Yew with my husband: "Overall a nice hotel and excellent food. It has a very nice location, with a good view of the rest of the village." Marion, the owner, was very pleasant and easy to deal with in setting up the reservation. The included dinner ("Thanksgiving dinner" every Thursday) and breakfast (homemade donuts!) received big thumbs up. My son and husband went hiking, so the hotel staff held some dinner for them. My husband described it as a "good Maine island experience"--the building that they stayed in had 12 rooms that shared a bathroom, and their room had single beds. The Trailing Yew does not accept credit cards.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Maybeinerror
new york metro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We recently had the most incredible experience dinning at Trailing Yew while on Monhegan Island.
The "family style seating" afforded us an opportunity to break bread with a fascinating group of people. As it was a Thurs night Thanksgiving Dinner was the choice of all at our table. My better half and I opted for the lobster dinner instead. It was absolutely delicious.
Margie our server and hostess was a gem ! Did I mention Karen who played Dulcimer on the porch as we arrived for dinner?
Make no mistake. Trailing Yew is a must when you are on Monhegan Island !

4 Thank yanks105
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

I have stayed a total of three times at the TY. It is a step back into time - not just because of the lamps and lights - but because you are there to unhurriedly enjoy Monhegan Island. The communal aspect for meals is really neat - have met people from all over the world and US. The menu is varied and very satisfying. All the home-made elements are truly so. All of the staff is very cordial - from making arrangments, to having your bags schlepped up to the Inn, to the wait-staff. I will be back again this summer to paint.

Room Tip: explain your wants/needs to the reservationist
3 Thank SouthEndGuy

Been to Trailing Yew? Share your experiences!