“Monhegan House”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Monhegan House”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Monhegan House has a lovely, bright dining room and it is cheerful to eat their included with your room breakfast ! Yes, all original paintings adorn the walls of the Monhegan House.

I have eaten there for many years and have never been disappointed.
They have a marvelous lobby with a stone wood burning fireplace that is a perfect space to curl up with a book on a chilly day.

• Visited August 2013

Florida
“Better than most restaurants on the mainland coast”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Four of us ate here last Saturday night with a 7:30 reservation. We were staying at a B&B that recommended the dining room of the Monhegan House (I believe that's their official name, rather than Monhegan Inn, but they do have several floors of guest rooms). Local island art is displayed on three walls with one long wall of windows, and a wide, open dining area of plain wooden chairs and tables. I expect the room looked just the same 50 years ago. There were mostly couples and one birthday party of eight. Chef Michael Cennamo has put together a refreshing and nicely varied menu, more than just the usual seafood. The Seared Tuna appetizer, which I often choose, although more than seared, was one of the most flavorful I have had. I asked if I could order the Hanger Steak extra rare and it was cooked perfectly. I thought it odd that they were out of Lobster that night, but then learned that the year round residents of this picture perfect island are mostly lobstermen who have limited their fishing to the winter and spring for conservation reasons. There were several prepared desserts in tiny $3 sizes we enjoyed passing around. Our server was friendly, efficient, upbeat and helpful with the menu. He brought us glasses for our BYO Peter Michael chard and Aubert pinot and served filtered water from their well. Some regulars brought their own bottled sparkling water as well as their wine. I wish they had had bottled water for sale. This was our best dinner meal of a wonderful stay on Monhegan Island. With a generous tip, we barely spent $40 per person. We would definitely return.

• Visited August 2013