“Time your kayak paddle carefully”
Review of Somes Sound

Somes Sound
More attraction details
Owner description: The only fjord on the U.S. East Coast.
Titusville
1,093 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,310 helpful votes
“Time your kayak paddle carefully”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have kayaked this fjord several times over the years from different locations. The north is the best entry and allows a nice paddle to the ocean; however, it can become a bit more vigorous if you try to return against the tide. So, check the charts and plan accordingly. Next, be sure to check the weather for wind velocity as it can come up fast and a combination wind and tide is a challenge. I suggest you go with a professional outfitter unless you have experience. With the May weather so unpredictable we had to wait for just the right conditions. Later in the summer you will have more choices. Another nice kayak paddle is from Bar Harbor marina to the coastal islands or
around the bay.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank James H

Highland Mills, NY
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“See it if it's on your way.”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

It was a gorgeous day and we were looking for a scenic drive. Some's Sound was pretty, but I think, after spending a day in Acadia, the grandeur was eclipsed. I'm not sorry we took the drive, but I would not go out of my way to do it.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Mmmquigs
Hyattsville, Maryland
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Gallery Schmallery. Take a kayak out and enjoy.”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Apparently the only sound in the area that's actually a fjord (originally carved out/created by shifting glaciers). Awesome. Beautiful area. If you're staying at the nearby Mt. Dessert Campground as I was, you're in luck. It's right on the sound. We took a kayak out to check out the sound and it was beautiful and peaceful. There's absolutely no reason not to check it out by kayak/canoe.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank CaptainAwethume
Hollis, New Hampshire
“The Gallery is a Must Not Miss Experience”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Craftsmanship like no gallery I have ever visited. Every piece at the Gallery at Somes Sound is carefully chosen and remarkable. Jeffrey Cooper's woodwork stopped me in my tracks.

Visited July 2013
Boston
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Gallery at Somes Sound”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This gallery right on the water in Somes Sound is in a picture perfect location, right next to the library and across the street from the historical society and museum. Regional artists, of very high quality, are displayed along with exceptional furniture from nationally recognized makers. Probably the best furniture gallery north of Boston, run by a friendly, knowledgable owner.
Would visit here every time I come up.

Visited June 2013